“Good atmosphere but a bit dissapionting”

BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Bramber
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Commonly described as a visual á la carte, our award winning Carvery Restaurant offers an amazing choice of locally sourced, seasonal food. For starters we have delicious homemade soups, a variety of hot appetisers and our famous hors d’oeuvres selection including wonderful smoked fish.For main course choose as much as you like from beautifully cooked joints of meat and tasty hot dishes including fish, casseroles, pies and vegetarian options.In addition to daily Rib of Beef, Chef will select from the following succulent roasts:Lamb, Roast Pork with Crackling, Honey Roasted Gammon, Turkey Crown, Chicken, Duckling , Game and more.To compliment your chosen dishes there is always a great choice of freshly steamed or roasted vegetables on offer which are constantly being replenished to maximise their texture and flavour. Everyone's favourite is Yorkshire pudding cooked to perfection, plus our delicious sauces, gravies and oven-baked stuffing. Don’t forget to make room for one of our delicious hot or cold puddings. You can try a little of as many of them as you like! If you prefer you can choose cheese and biscuits with juicy grapes and celery which is offered complimentary within any two and three course menu option.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have been to the Tollgate several times over the years, so my restaurant of choice for my Birthday meal with my Husband was the Tollgate. The staff were attentive efficient and friendly.
The Tollgate didn't seem as 'busy' as in the past and I guess it is a sign of the times, unfortunately we felt the quality of the food is compromised from reduced 'turnover' we ate early in the evening, the buffet was fine, there is evidence of 'using up' food such as cold sliced beef, chopped meat in mayonnaise, which is commendable to save waste. The carvery meat was ok albeit a bit dry, I was disappointed with the roast potatoes, and the yorkshire was very dry, there was another dish of potatoes which were obviously roast potato leftovers in tomato and herbs, it looked very nice but didn't taste that way. I felt if we had been half an hour later the vegs might have been refreshed and be a great improvement. The Desserts were a good selection with some healthy options and I had a lovely Gaelic liqueur coffee.

1  Thank Joody
There are newer reviews for BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Restaurant

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The atmosphere wasn't excellent but once you have clicked you can't unclick please amend -
Average atmosphere.
Generally the food is very good.
The complaint I have is that the Yorkshire puddings were hard. I mentioned this but no one apologised or did anything about it! We did eat just before 9pm but Yorkshire puddings can be flashed in an oven or cooked from frozen very quickly. The rolls were lovely and soft and warm.
I found the chefs attitude rather arrogant and as other people say they don't rush to serve you at the buffet which is a bit annoying. Also the food isn't very hot! Maybe a microwave at the side if people want to make their food hotter at the start or 1/2 way through?

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went to Tollgate carvery on Sunday 25 August. Rang the night before and asked for a nice light and bright table as an anniversary meal. Arrived, we sat in the lounge (the brightest place) and although booking table for 2.p.m. we were not called until 2.15p.m. Our table was dingy in the restaurant by the entrance way. However, our waitress Sally was very good. It was dark but we went up for the first course. The egg mayonaise was rubbery and hard. The smoked salmon had seen better days, the chicken legs were so hard I could have cracked my teeth. Hubby, he had the salmon and chorizo as a starter. He was not impressed. (this being our 5th visit).. It has gone down hill.
On our main visit to the carvery, I had the roast beef, the rabbit had run out, so the spanish chicken, which I also had was so soo soo bland. The roast beef was chewy and roast potatoes tasted of perfume. I really could not eat it. I asked to speak to the Manager. After a 15 minute wait he came over. I told him the problems. He said he would take my meal off the bill £21.50), he then came back with a revised bill of £4.50 for a PUDDING WHICH NEITHER OF US HAD AND ALSO A BAR BILL FOR TWO BOTTLES OF WATER, when in fact we only had ONE bottle of water. I told him we HAD NOT had 2 waters nor had we had puddings. What an insult. Rip of britain should be told about old tollgate. Hubby had the pork which he said was good. Will we go back - NO. After having to complain again about additions on the bill which we had NOT had, I think they are pulling a fast one and I urge everyone to check their bills before being ripped off. I will be contacting the CEO of Best Western.

1  Thank christine p
Maggie P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear christine p
I have spoken to christine regarding her review and listened to her comments about her lunch experience. I have fully investigated the issues that she raised with the head chef and restaurant manager and I am informed that not all the content of the review is totally accurate. We always present the bill to the guest to give them the opportunity to check that it is accurate and will of course react if a mistake has happened. We are most certainly not out to rip our guests off as this lady implies, human errors do occur. The review below this one relates to the same Sunday lunch.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I like to find good places to eat out with family and friends so with that in mind we took a trip over to Bramber and booked into the Old Tollgate for Sunday carvery £21.50 per person for 3 courses, and I have to say I was very impressed with the value for money we received. We found the staff and the chef's very friendly which made us feel comfortable to ask questions about the food which they were only to happy to answer. I've never seen so much food and it was all fresh and tasty, the range of starters was very impressive and the choices of meat at the carvery was also great! But...the best bit for me was the desserts! OMG they are to die for! So much choice. The restaurant it's self was very clean and welcoming, so can't wait to revisit with friends and experience more of their good quality food, outstanding today! Thank you.

Dear 360MJE
i am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your visit to our carvery and that you were impressed with both the food and staff. Many thanks for taking the time to write this 5* review and we shall look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We dined here in August 2013 for a birthday celebration. Upon arrival we sat in the lounge for pre-dinner drinks. Service was very slow to get drinks and once we finally had some, service was very slow to get us into the restaurant (we had to ask to be seated in the end)....

Food was surprisingly very good which was a big bonus! Lots of meats to choose from with veggie options a plenty.

We had to seek out a waitress to ask for another round of drinks twice. The second time she was very abrupt and simply asked 'yeah what do you want'..... Hmmmmm......

There were 11 of us dining but still, you'd expect to be able to order drinks without getting snapped at!

We also got charged for an extra desert which we didn't have but this was soon rectified when we queried it. Couldn't help but feel like they were trying it on a bit.

Overall the food was very good; would we return again? Probably not.....

Maggie P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Haylz77
Many thanks for writing your review. I would like to assure you that we do take our guests comments seriously, and I am disappointed to read that the service was not up to our usual high standard on this occassion. I have raised your comments with our restaurant manager for him to address. We do hope you do decide to come back.