“ahhhh! wonderful!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“ahhhh! wonderful!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed at the Whittlebury for one night in February. The food was wonderful and included 2 dishes I have never had before. The spas were wonderful as were the individual treatments.One tiny criticism is that the staff administering the massages etc like you to have the treatment when it suits them and not you. A couple of times I was told a certain time was unavailble and they merely want me and my wife to fill a slot.

Room Tip: have the treatments massages etc when you want therm not when the staff are tryingb to fill a slot!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
WHGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear henry34746

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in February.

We are so pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you enjoyed everything from the food to the facilities and treatments. We do hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

A group of 9 of us booked an overnight spa break, however due to a large conference taking place the service was very poor, hotel very loud during the evening. Also the spa was very full and you could not use the facility in a relaxed manner.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Michele L

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review following your recent visit to Whittlebury Hall.

We are sorry to read that you and your party did not enjoy your spa break with us. Your comments have been duly noted and taken on board by the relevant departments.

Guest Relations Team

Travelers are raving about these Towcester hotels

northampton
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

I went to whittlebury hall in January with my 77 year old mother.we didn't h ave a very good experience so I wrote a letter to the manager explaining what had happened. So far they haven't even bothered to reply. That's how much they care about it their clients and getting repeat business. I shall not bother again or recommend whittlebury hall to my friends.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank amanda b
WHGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear amanda b

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in January.

We have not received a letter from you regarding your stay with us to which we could offer a reply so if you would be kind enough to contact us at guestrelations@whittleburyhall.co.uk we would be only too happy to discuss your stay with you further.

Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

My partner surprised me to a visit to Whittlebury Hall Spa & Hotel. When we arrived, I was immediately shocked at the amount of cars in the car park and the time it took for us to find a space. I thought that this can't all be for the Spa, surely. I saw that there was golf and other activities so I assumed all the cars were for a bit of everything. Went into the hotel where a lady greeted us and asked if we were attending the Spa, good service so far, get into the Spa and there is the car park, waiting in a queue to get into the Spa. When we get served, the lady did not look the slightest bit interested and all she told us was where the changing rooms were. OK, would she like to ask us if we've been here before? Would she like to give us a brief outline of the Spa facilities? No, of course she wouldn't, because somebody thought it was a good idea to get everyone to arrive at the same time and have the largest queue to deal with. We get changed, walk into the Spa and we are in a very busy swimming pool?! Loud, busy, queues to the saunas and rooms. We leave. Hotel side of things, great! Loved the room, loved afternoon tea, loved the 3 course dinner and breakfast, all wonderful. The next day, I'm due for a facial. We ask where to go, lady not interested because again, massive queue. It also turns out that our locker keys get deactivated over night so my partner lost his swimming trunks. Were we informed of this? No. I decided to just leave, it was busy, staff were unhelpful, I just wanted to get out of there. I was going to attempt to get my money back for the facial but I couldn't even face dealing with people who weren't willing to help in the first place. Where was the crowd control?! To summarise, the hotel was brilliant. Can't fault it. However, if you are coming here for a relaxing day in the Spa, I would urge you to understand that this is not a relaxing health spa. It is loud and busy, the complete opposite of what a spa should be.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Ekoorb1988
Dear Ekoorb1988

We are so pleased that you really enjoyed your hotel stay, from the room and afternoon tea to dinner and breakfast, however we are sorry to read that you were disappointed with your spa experience. If you would be kind enough to contact us at guestrelations@whittleburyhall.co.uk we would like to discuss your visit with you further.

Guest Relations Manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We spent valentines weekend at the spa and hotel and although at first we thought there wasn't enough to do, by the end of our spa stay we were well and truly relaxed. Worth the money absolutely ! The only thing I would say is that we were very disappointed we couldn't open a tab during the day because neither one of us have a credit card. But overall we enjoyed a nice relaxing weekend

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ditsyfloral
Dear Ditsyfloral

We are so pleased that you had a really enjoyable and relaxing weekend with us. The spa and leisure facilities do have so much to offer and the packages are very good value for money too.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Bicester, Oxon
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This review is based on a day and night Saturday night stay on Valentines weekend, a treat for us both from the Wife. I accept that it is probably among the busier weekends of the year but having only visited once I can only comment on my/our experience.

On arrival I was first struck by how busy it was. It took us a good few minutes to find a parking space as the car park was a sea of BMW's and Audi's jostling for position, either arriving or leaving. This was around 9.30am. After we got parked we headed to the Spa facility to join the first queue of the day to check in as we had treatments booked for later. The cafe area where this takes place is a nice airy space but at this time was very busy obviously. We got our paperwork sorted and then headed for the hotel reception to check in and the next (very long) queue of the day. This one took about half an hour I guess and once at the front we checked in and left our overnight bags with the porter and headed off back to the spa.

The spa itself is in two main parts, one side with the cafe overlooking has a swimming pool with sun loungers around the edge and a jacuzzi in the corner and the other room has a huge hot tub/jacuzzi with water jet showers plus various steam rooms, a sauna and and ice room in rooms around the perimeter. The whole facility is themed and decorated like and old Roman baths with pillars and sky painted on the ceiling etc.

The room - our room was nice enough, large bathroom and very comfortable bed although no view (other than the rooms opposite), I guess you could request a room at the front overlooking the surrounding parkland.

The restaurant (Astons) once again, on a large scale, queue to get seated. The menu was very nice, and to be fair, so was the food. The head waiter was very helpful as our waitress was clearly clueless and struggling to keep up with what she was supposed to be doing. The meal actually ended on an embarrassing note when said waitress, who had been pretty scarce throughout the meal brought our bill. As overnight guests, we were charging all incidentals to our room and as we had chosen dishes that carried a supplemental charge there was extra to pay over the standard 'all inclusive' meal for which we were told we needed to settle up for there and then in cash! I explained the above to her and she then started waiving the bill at me saying that it said cash on the bill and cash we must pay! It started to get pretty embarrassing at this point as other diners could see we were having a situation and in the need the waitress went to get the head waiter who apologised to us and she stomped off! And this, if all added up correctly, is the service you get with a meal that costs in effect £100 for two ( and that was with no alcohol ). Added to this the extraordinarily long waiting time between courses we were massively unimpressed with this. I had a mind to have a polite complain to reception in the morning but in the event we decided on the 'self checkout' method, you couldn't get near reception due once again to the massive queue!

So in summary, if you are the sort of person who can switch off from your surroundings and not get annoyed by a constant 'airport check-in' type busy atmosphere then for the overall cost it was pretty good value. The staff were polite and the place is clean and even the bar prices seemed reasonable ( although I can't comment on wine prices etc as we weren't drinking). The food in the restaurant is nice and presented in a kind of 'Masterchef/pseudo Michelin' fashion but the portions are tiny, you really do need a full three courses and a couple of rolls! Due to this and the amateurish service we received I would say the menu is pretty overpriced. Similar at breakfast, everything there buffet style but queues galore and cold food.

Would I go again? Well, it's only half an hour down the road so if there was a deal on and we were at a loose end maybe but if I really wanted to relax I would look to find somewhere less 'mass market'.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear hughieboy

We are pleased that you enjoyed certain aspects of your overnight stay with us. Your valued feedback has been passed to the relevant Managers and their teams and if you would be kind enough to contact us at guestrelations@whittleburyhall.co.uk we would be happy to discuss your stay with you further.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Whist the spa was clean and tidy, and the staff were very nice, unfortunately the whole experience was marred by the feeling of being like a battery hen!! My friend and I arrived early, for a spa day, and was already fairly busy with people milling around in the reception area, we decided to go straight into the spa, we used the thalassotherapy pool, then went into the steam rooms, when we emerged it's was incredible the amount of people they had booked in for the day, there were so many people in the thalassotherapy pool you could hardly see water and surrounding area was so busy it was difficult to know where to go, it was very hard to find a space In any of the other rooms, only the ice cave had space on occasions, after lunch at 12 (we were not given a choice of time, but glad we were on the first sitting as the food was quite reasonable) we decided to try the swimming pool, but again much to our disappointment this was also full, every bed was taken whether by a body or reserved with towels! We found 2 chairs located in a far corner and waited to pounce as soon as some came free, luckily we only had to wait about 10 minutes. Whilst I appreciate it was the Monday after valentines, the management running the place should take the time out to spend a 'relaxing' day in the spa and see how they feel after! Making money seems to have overtaking the idea of what a Spa experience should be.

Room Tip: If I was to try the spa again, which is highly unlikely as there are other spa's that don't...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear HeatherFB

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review following your recent visit to The Day Spa at Whittlebury Hall.

We are sorry to read that overall you were disappointed with your spa day. Your valued feedback has been passed on to the relevant teams and if you would be kind enough to contact us at guestrelations@whittleburyhall.co.uk we would be happy to discuss your visit with you further.

Guest Relations Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Hilton Northampton
Hilton Northampton
#7 of 29 in Northampton

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!