“A pricey corporate hostel”
Review of Whittlebury Hall

Whittlebury Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Dorset, United Kingdom
“A pricey corporate hostel”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is an event hotel, catering for corporate events with guests staying in rooms along character less corridors. I felt I needed to do a hansel and gretel and drop crumbs to find my way back. My bedroom was clean but it faced out on to a quadrangle of sorts so facing across to other rooms. There was a constant noise from some sort of air handling or extraction system which meant that you couldn't really have a window open if you wanted to sleep in peace, probably why there was a fan supplied in the room.
Irritating things like the lampshades not fixed properly to the bases so I tightened too of them up to stop the shades drooping. Toilet cleaning seems to be a case of squirting blue cleaner down the loo and not brushing it away thoroughly.
With one exception, the staff were great, especially the female restaurant managers the exception was the receptionist who checked me in. Clearly didn't graduate from charm school.
Food excellent and at breakfast, I was offered my porridge made with milk or water, don't think I've ever been given that choice before.
Would I visit again? Only if it was part of a corporate event. This place totally lacks atmosphere.

Room Tip: If there are any that aren't of the battery farm variety, choose one of those.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Gypsy008

Thank you for your recent review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in October. I am sorry that your visit did not meet your expectations and that you were a little let down by our facilities.

All of our 213 bedrooms do vary in size, décor and location - some overlooking inner courtyards or the woods and others overlooking the golf course and side gardens - if you upgrade to a Club room or Suite. I duly note your valued feedback regarding the cleanliness and maintenance of the rooms and have passed this feedback on to the departmental managers. In 2014 we will be carrying out a redecoration programme of all our bedrooms.

I am pleased that overall you found the team to be great and I apologise if you did not find the Receptionist as friendly.

Delighted that you enjoyed your meals and felt the food was excellent.

I do hope that you would be kind enough to reconsider and visit us again in the future and perhaps request a club room.

Kind regards, Ruth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
nottingham england
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I must write to say how impressed I was at my recent visit to Whittlebury Hall Hotel. Not only was the value unbelievable but the quality of food, room and golf courses exceptional. The icing on this already laden cake was the focus and efficiency of all the staff. A massive well done to all and kind regards Peter Groves (thelodgeatruddington)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear peter2280

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in September.

I am delighted that you found your stay outstanding value and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Thank you also Mr Groves for your kind feedback regarding the team - it is something we pride ourselves on having fab members of staff that work hard and offer excellent hospitality - glad you have noticed and I have pleasure in passing on your kind words to the teams.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the future.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

As a guest on a Corporate activity day, I had a very enjoyable day. The activities included a Hovercraft ride, Archery, Pistol & Rifle range and a Clay Pigeon shoot. The events team were very good and ensured everyone got the best out of the day, regardless of level of skill and experience. The day included a meal which was ok but nothing exciting.

Dear 9SharonC

Really glad you enjoyed your recent corporate activity day - sounds like it was very busy and lots to do and thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. The main corporate events are carried out by our neigbours at Whittlebury Park Golf club, yet we arrange the day events as part of the corporate day.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Doncaster
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Like a lot of people, we stayed here on a spa package. It was a one day spa and over night stay including dinner and breakfast.

The hotel itself is very big and quite old fashioned. We've cruised a lot and both of us (my mum and I) remarked how at times we felt like we were on a cruise ship. (decor, certain parts of the service etc)

The reception check in was hassle free and we could leave our luggage for it to be taken up to our room when ready.

We got there around 12 and went to get changed and had a wonder round. We then found out we couldn't eat in the spa restaurant as it has to be pre booked. We wouldn't be able to eat until after 3! So we went over to the main hotel and bar. My mum felt quite uncomfortable sat in her dressing gown. In hindsight, we should have eaten when we got there but our evening meal wasn't booked until 8.

Lunch was nice. Mum had a sandwich which was beautifully displayed. I had the soup which turned up in a bowl. No plate under it. A cereal bowl that was just dumped on the table. For the price we paid, I expected a bit better service but hey ho.

The spa facilities are great. The only down side was the pool wasn't as near to the rest of the facilities as I was expecting.

Our room (336) was a good walk from anywhere but we thought that meant it'd be quiet. In theory, it would be but given that there was no air con, we had to open the window which meant that the deliveries at 5am woke us. We didn't think and should have turned the radiator off. My mum reckons the bed was too soft. I thought the bed was fine, it was the pillow for me! I swear I was sleeping on a brick. I'd recommend taking your own pillow!

Dinner that evening was served in the main restaurant and again, was really tasty. Service was slightly better than lunch had been!

We didn't have anything to drink in the bar so can't really comment on that.

Breakfast was back in the main restaurant and was a good selection of continental and full English.

Overall, we enjoyed our time there. If we'd paid a lot of money though for one night, I would have felt ripped off but given everything we got, we definitely had value for money. As expected though, any extra's were very expensive. A cup of coffee in the spa was over £3.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear steveandlara

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in October.

Your feedback has been duly noted and is invaluable in our efforts to continually improve the quality of our guest service. I am sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your personal expectations. At any point during your stay, please always feel free to contact Reception who will be more than happy to arrange alternative pillows, bedding etc - they are here to help you.

We would always recommend pre-booking the buffet lunch to avoid any disappointment but lunch can be taken in the Silverstone Bar as an alternative. Robes can be worn throughout the hotel - just not at breakfast or dinner and it is quite usual to see guests sitting in the bar in their robe, although I can appreciate if your mother felt a bit uncomfortable.

Whittlebury has one of the largest hotel spa's in the country and facilities are within the same location with just a little walk between the spa and leisure areas.

All of our rooms do vary in size, décor and location and perhaps for next time please feel free to request a room closer to reception. In 2014 we will be carrying out a redecoration programme of all our rooms.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your time here and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

As mentioned before good rooms and clean everywhere. My daughter I and I stayed for one night on a spa package and were thoroughly spoiled from start to finish. The food was excellent and no pressing by staff to buy extra drinks as water was available at all times. We had a massage and at no time felt pressured to purchase the products which makes a nice change from other spas we have visited. All the staff were extremely friendly, and explained where to go and in what order to use spa facilities etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear barbara00

I am pleased to read that you and your family had a totally relaxing break and felt thoroughly spoilt from start to finish. Your review following your visit is delightful to read and I am glad that you found the food to be excellent and all the team to be friendly.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury for another wonderful visit soon.

UK
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Have stayed at Whittlebury Hotel & Spa many times over the years spending time at their spa. My friend & I have always done a one night spa package and never been disappointed. The hotel rooms are nice and always clean. Good restaurants, a bar with a whole load of Formula One memorabilia.

The spa is great fun and the heat & ice experience is a great place to chill and relax. The hydra pool is a great place to just get in and let the water pummel you or have the water jets work their magic on your shoulders, back and neck. There are the steam and crystal steam rooms and there is plenty to keep you occupied. This time around we did the package with hot stones back, neck and face massage and it was in a dual room although you never felt someone was in room with you. If I'd been anymore chilled out I'd have been horizontal. The most memorable part was the evening meal in Murrays restaurant. We were called down to have canapés before dinner and to browse menu and make our order. Canapés were delicious along with a couple of drinks. Waiter took us though to our table and took time detailing everything about our meal. The food was of very high standard and cooked to perfection but the attention of the waiter and presentation was just unbelievable. We spent well over 2 hours on our meal and it was all finished off with the most delicious petit fours. This was an evening to remember as we'd not expected the whole experience of Murrays. Its named after Murray Walker and it had photos and lots of his little phrases on the walls from his Formula One days of presenting. We've always eaten in Astons restaurant so this was a big step up and we're hoping Whittlebury has this same package on next year when we return for our next visit as we felt well and truly pampered that first day and it has spoilt us a little for future visits. The night was rounded off in the Silverstone bar.

Next day back in spa and heat & ice experience. We had another treatment each, mines being the Elemis Body Sculpting and Colon Therapy. Wow this was very different and my therapist was excellent. My thighs and legs were massaged and then a mask put on my thighs. Whilst this was working my colon area was given the full massage and breathing correctly plays a big part in this but therapist sorted me out and although a little painful. I really felt the good effects of it later in the day and following day. After the colen massage I then had the most wonderful head massage and then the mask was removed and my thighs and a body sculpting cream applied, loved it and would have it again.

Fantastic time at the spa and after 2 days of wonderful pampering and relaxation that lasted through to the weekend.

I think the only gripe I'd have is that at times the spa can be overbooked and you can at times not really get in and appreciate the hydra pool. Also you're there to relax and chill out not listen to screaming and shouting of girls where big groups come in and take over the steam rooms meaning no relaxation during those times. Our first day was a good size crowd in heat & ice but numbers must have tripled on the second

It didn't spoil my time at spa but it should be one thing that the Spa team should look at when booking the numbers for each day, I don't spend the money to stand in centre of hydra pool doing nothing I want to be in the areas where the pulsing and benches for relaxing are and water is pummelling my body, standing around makes no impact to the body and can make time very boring, not what you want at a spa.

We will be back next year for more fun, pampering and relaxation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Scottie57

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review on Trip Advisor following your recent 'Girly Spa Break' to Whittlebury hall in October.

I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed another visit and this time got to enjoy one of our new packages which included dining in our 2AA Rosette restaurant, Murrays - it truly is beautiful food and our team are delighted that you enjoyed the experience and meal. If next year when you stay the package does not include Murrays, then please ask to upgrade for a small additional charge!

Your treatments you had do sound amazing and we are glad that the therapists looked after you and were excellent. The Elemis Colon treatment is meant to do wonders!!

I duly note your valued feedback regarding the spa - it has become more popular over the years and due to the size can accommodate the larger amount of guests and groups that smaller spa's and health farms cannot accommodate. Having said that it should not deter from you enjoying your time or the facilities and your comments have been passed on.

We do however look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Whittlebury for more fun in 2014.

Tarragona, Spain
Reviewed October 14, 2013

A lovely hotel, very spacious clean rooms. Stayed on business and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. The food was good and plentiful at every sitting. There was a good selection at breakfast. The staff were very attentive, polite and knowledgeable. All in all a very pleasant stay.

Dear Lorraine R

I am delighted that overall you had a very pleasant stay following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in October and thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Perhaps we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you can enjoy another good stay in the future.

Kind regards, Ruth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
No photo provided
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
#3 of 34 in Milton Keynes
Holiday Inn Express Northampton M1, Jct 15
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!