“Disappointing”
Review of Whittlebury Hall

Whittlebury Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here again (5th time). The hotel is ok, but just OK. It is not worth the £130 a night, the food is poor unless you eat in their hidden restaurant which seats about 25 and is fairly pricey. My room was small and hot, the bathroom had cracked tiles, the handle was missing from the toilet flush and the pillows on the bed were very smelly. I informed reception of this and they said someone would get back to me and never did. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear peteyt2013

I was most sorry to read your recent review following your visit to Whittlebury in September and please accept my apologies for the difficulties and frustrations you experienced.

It is a shame that you have never discussed your issues over the 5 stays with either myself or any of our dedicated management team who would be more than happy to sit with you and listen to your concerns - we want our guests to enjoy their stay and indeed return time after time. Since your visit in September, we have been making upgrades to our facilities - the gym for example has been totally upgraded and has new state of the art equipment fitted, the hotel lounge behind reception has been redecorated including new soft furnishings and sofas. Astons Restaurant has also been redecorated and in 2014 we will be carrying out a redecoration programme of all 213 bedrooms.

I do hope that you will be kind enough and visit us again in the future and give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and please feel free to ask to speak with me or contact me in advance.

Kind regards, Ruth

Write a ReviewReviews (2,608)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I booked for myself and my husband to go to Whittlebury hall for a escape and stay weekend. I have to say we were really impressed, The staff were super friendly especially our waiter Rui for our main meal :o), the hotel was clean and had such a relaxed atmosphere. I booked it to celebrate out 5th wedding anniversary and it certainly didnt let us down, we wish we could have stayed for 2 nights. The food was exceptional, such good quality.

The staff at the main bar were a little slow but it was a busy time at the time we wanted a drink.

The pool was fabulous and I would highly recommend a stay here.

Kerry and Katrina did fantastic massages for us. It is a weekend we'll certainly remember with happy thoughts.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear claireandtom

I am delighted that you and your husband had a fantastic weekend at Whittlebury recently to celebrate your 5th wedding anniversary - Congratulations!

Your kind comments regarding all of the various areas and of course Rui, Kerry and Katrina have been passed on to them and their managers - thank you for your kind feedback and review.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for your 6th wedding anniversary....if not sooner.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a great weekend at Wittlebury Hall as part of a spa stop over. We upgraded to a Club room overlooking the front and great view of the golf course. The room was big and spacious with a nice bottle of wine, popcorn, pretzels and cookies plus bottled water in the fridge. The only downside is the walls are not really soundproofed and you can hear plugs being turned on and off next to you along with muffled talking and toilet flushing through the night.

We used the spa during the day and had a number of treatments such as hot stone massages, the mud steam and my wife had an extra facial and foot massage, it's not inexpensive but a worthy treat now and then.

We ate in Murrays in the evening and the double Michelin star restaurant is superb, the food outstanding and a fantastic culinary delight, you won't be disappointed at all.

Overall a great weekend and we will be returning to this hotel again.

Room Tip: The Club rooms overlooking the golf course at the front are superb.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear PeteNook333

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in September.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and were able to enjoy and experience all of our wonderful facilities, including the club upgrade, treatments and dining in Murrays, our 2 AA Rosette restaurant - your kind comments have been passed on to all the teams.

I duly note your feedback regarding the sound within each room and this has been passed on to maintenance to look into.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the near future.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I came here for a spa day after hearing people say how amazing it supposedly is. Having been to an excellent spa in staffordshire called Hoar Cross Hall, I expected the same standards. How wrong I was. The changing facilities were the first disappointment. You cannot accommodate that many people on spa days if you can't provide adequate changing space. I actually had to queue for space to get changed and then when there was space I couldn't get to my locker as the benches were all in front of lockers. You can't swing a hamster in the changing room, let alone a cat!

The layout isn't good with a bit of a trek to get to the pool which is separate to the jacuzzi, spa pool, steam rooms etc. The pool is also very very shallow.

I went to the 'cafe' for a drink and snack. There was no menu and so I had to ask what there was. The only thing to eat was a cookie. Hardly acceptable for a 'quality' spa hotel. Offering conplimentary tea and coffee would be a good idea, like other spas offer.

Next was lunch. What a joke. I've had better in a school canteen. On a hot summers day they were serving curry. Yes, curry, for lunch, on a hot day, at a 'quality' spa hotel. The only other option was salad but there wasn't enough salad choice to fill a hamsters stomach let alone a human. For dessert there was cheap fruit salad which almost exclusively contained water melon and cheap yogurt. Awful! The waiting staff were poor and did not clear my plate and bowl.

On a positive, the spa treatments were of high quality and the main spa area with hydro pool was lovely. This is the only bit that stops it from getting one or two stars. But its not enough for me to return. Hoar Cross Hall is far superior and has a fantastic all round package including exceptional food, changing facilities, spa facilities and hotel rooms. Perhaps a member of your management team should stay there to pick up some tips. If you even bother to read this review that is.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Vicki P

Dear Vicki P

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in July.

I am sorry that on this occasion your visit did not meet your expectations. The spa at Whittlebury is one of the largest hotel spa's in the country, Hoar Cross Hall on the other hand is a small, bespoke Health Farm set in acres of countryside and their sole business is spa and beauty. We have become more popular over the years and due to our size can accommodate the larger amount of guests and larger numbers that smaller, bespoke spa's and health farms cannot accommodate. The atmosphere is very much sociable and fun and since your visit I am pleased to announce that we have won the Good Spa Guide best Spa in the East Midlands.

Since your visit we have also made some lovely changes within the Leisure club, spa and hotel and I do hope that you would be kind enough to visit us again in the future to see the fab changes we have made.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I've stayed here twice now and on both occasions found this;

1) Conference facilities are great,
2) Food is good and sometimes great,
3) Standard rooms are POOR.

On my last stay the room was hot, noisy, toilet didn't flush and looked out over ( and could hear the fans of) the kitchen roof.

The bathroom in my most recent stay was practically falling apart.

On my previous stay the room was just as hot.

Staff are very good though.

Pool facilities are also good.

One major drawback for me is that all three of my phones ( O2, Three, T-Mobile) get NO reception inside of the hotel - anywhere ! I have to go outside to get a signal.

Wifi is free though.

Only stay there because I have to - wouldn't want to go if it wasn't for work. This hotel is just a big conference machine.

Dear Pippa N

Thank you for your review and for your feedback which is invaluable in our efforts to continually improve the quality of our guest service.

I appreciate that you stay with us because of work but we still wish to ensure that you enjoy your stay and of course return to us for other reasons. Please do feel free to speak to either myself or any of the management team during your stay should any situation be disappointing.

All of our 213 bedrooms do vary in size, decor and location and throughout 2014 we will be carrying out a redecoration programme of all our rooms. I am certain you will then see some much improvements to the standard rooms.

Regrettably, despite contacting the major phone companies we are a little helpless in the phone signal situation. It is something we are constantly discussing with phone companies requesting such improvements to their masts in the local area.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the near future and please do feel free to ask for me or contact me.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I chose Whittlebury Hall's overnight spa and hotel package as a present for my daughter's 18th birthday. It had been recommended to me by work colleagues. It was absolutely the perfect choice, we had an amazing time. We were greeted by the reception staff with a smile, they couldn't have been more helpful. After leaving our case at reception, we made our way to the spa reception where again, a very helpful, smiling staff member greeted us. After changing into our dressing gown and slippers, we were given a tour of the facilities and all areas were explained to us. The complementary fresh fruit and water were very welcome. Going up to the treatment area, we were taken to our respective rooms where the treatment was fully explained before commencement. It was the most amazing feeling and afterwards I felt so relaxed and refreshed - I could do that every day!!
My daughter and myself then made our way to the Terrace Cafe for lunch, an extremely varied buffet, which was very tasty. We decided after lunch to return to the spa for some more sauna time before making our way up to our room to relax before dinner.
Dinner was a 3 course delight, although I did think that £5.25 for a small glass of wine a little steep. When the waitress brought out the dessert, she had informed the chef that it was my daughter's 18th birthday and he had piped 'Happy 18th birthday' in chocolate icing onto the side of her plate. My daughter was absolutely delighted with this and it made our stay even better. Proof indeed that Whittlebury Hall staff care about their guests.
Drink prices are a bit steep though, nearly £10 for two shorts in the bar. Hence, we only had one drink before retiring to our room for the night. The beds were nice and comfortable, room a wee bit warm though. And I did have somebody knocking at the door at 2am as they had the wrong room but hey ho. No harm done.
We had a wake up call for 8am, shower and down for breakfast at 8.45. Again, absolutely delicious, I had a full english, my daughter just had toast. Waitress was very attentive, as the waitress at dinner the previous evening had been.
I would say my only disappointment was at check-out. On returning the room key to reception, the receptionist just took them, said 'Nothing to pay' and that was that! No 'I hope you enjoyed your stay' or 'Please come again'. She was actually quite dismissive which was a shame after the wonderful stay we had had.
I would certainly recommend a Whittlebury Hall overnight spa stay as a treat for a friend, family member etc. It's well worth the money. I read the review of the person who seems to think the hotel has a negative view of ethnic minorities and I will categorically state that I saw NO evidence of that while I was there, every guest was treated with the same respect regardless of race. All in all, a fantastic time and my daughter will always have wonderful memories of her 18th birthday.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Donna C

Thank you for your recent review following your visit to Whittlebury to celebrate your daughter's 18th birthday. I am delighted that she has such happy memories of such a special occasion and of course that you both enjoyed your stay.

I am glad that you were both able to enjoy and experience all of the facilities and that you were both looked after by the team - even the little extra touch of the happy birthday being piped onto your daughters dessert plate. Your lovely comments and feedback has been passed on to all of the team.

We all look forward to welcoming you both back to Whittlebury in the near future.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We attended the hotel this week on a conference. As we arrived at the hotel the drive up and frontage did have an element of Wow... The reception area continued the feeling of a great hotel. Having checked in and headed to the room we were surprised at the hike! We thought we would never get to the room! This was not an issue for us but could be for the the less able or someone with not so good bearings! It was also like a Maize!! We opened the door to the room to find the biggest let down ever! The room was very plain, dated, lacked character and to be honest deserved a 2 * rating. It had the stains on the carpet and seats. When i met my colleagues on that evening they expressed that they had felt the great disappointment when they opened their room doors!
I have to give credit where its due but the food we had in the main restaurant was stunning and service was excellent on that evening. Breakfast was varied and good but service was slow and you felt as if they were doing you a big favour serving coffee. I felt the breakfast lacked a head waiter over seeing the staff and what they were doing.
We had a buffet lunch at the conference which was also very good.
I must say that when I walked past the other bedrooms on the way out on the morning i did see that a few of the rooms were decent and not all as ours was!
As part of a conference the room was fine but if i had arrived for a nice weekend with my hubby iI I would have been gutted !

Room Tip: Room 352 is to be avoided this is one of the dated rooms. When booking ask for a decent room unless...

Dear Clare D

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in September.

All of our 213 bedrooms do vary in size, décor and location and I am sorry that you and your colleagues were disappointed with your rooms. We offer a variety of class of rooms ranging from standard, clubs and suites. Throughout 2014 we will be carrying out a redecoration programme of all our bedrooms and I am therefore certain that if you were to stay with us again you would see some wonderful improvements.

On a positive note I am delighted that you enjoyed the evening meal and that the service was excellent although duly note your valued comments regarding breakfast, which have been passed on to the Food & Beverage Manager.

Thank you for your feedback, which is invaluable in our efforts to continually improve the quality of our guest service. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury in 2014.

Kind regards, Ruth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
The Saracens Head Hotel
Travelodge Milton Keynes Old Stratford
Hilton Northampton
Hilton Northampton
#6 of 27 in Northampton

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!