“Disappointing”
Review of Whittlebury Hall

Whittlebury Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have been to this hotel on a number of occasions for my birthday and the last occasion was really disappointing. The hotel was really hot (no air conditioning) and it was really loud in the evening, it is constantly used for business conferences, there was a large group when we stayed which obviously had a few too many drinks and were outside shouting. We addressed it in the morning to the Manager and were told we had to of told them at 1am in the morning! all in all a bit poor really. The spa is really nice but I wouldn't recommend the hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear dancia2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in July 2013.

I am most sorry to read that despite many previous enjoyable visits, your last stay was not to the same high standard and was disappointing. We are indeed a very popular destination for leisure, conference & corporate and function business and I am sorry that you were disturbed by fellow guests. We do not condone loud or unsociable behaviour and had our Night team been made aware that other guests were being too loud, then they would have kindly asked them to keep the noise to a minimum.

I am pleased that the Spa was really nice and enjoyable. I do hope that you would be kind enough to reconsider and visit us again for an overnight stay.

In the meantime I look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Day Spa.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Picked this hotel due to the closeness to Silverstone (10 minute drive), so the location is great. You can actually hear the cars from the hotel.
We used the spa on Friday afternoon and I was surprised by how busy it was, it could have been a Saturday. Nice facilities but fairly small for the number of people in there. You can't really swim properly.
Dinner was included in our rate. The food was amazing - definitely worth staying in for. Our waiter was great, really helpful! We also had lunch in the bar. Nice but very overpriced - £25 for 2 sandwiches and 2 soft drinks!!
Breakfast was ok but I wasn't a fan of the pre-done toast!! I'd rather stand and toast my own.
The room was huge and really clean. The only issue was no A/C. The room was really hot even with the fan on.
Would stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Duet4123

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and would wish to return. Your comments have been duly noted and taken on board.

The hotel and spa is very popular, if you visited us in August, this was still within the school holiday period, which does become more popular than at other times.

I am glad that you found the food to be amazing and have passed your kind feedback on to the Executive Head Chef.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the near future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

First things first I phoned to change the date of my visit to a day early. They took ages and couldn't find my details. They said they couldn't find my details even though I gave them my reference number. So the lady said she would phone me back as soon as she found my details to confirm everything. Well after waiting for about four hours I decided to call them back to discover that the lady had gone home and had no intensions of calling back at all. Not good costumer care at all.
When you drive to Whittlebury hall its not signposted you have to go into Whittlebury park to find the right location. You can only check in at three in the afternoon so you have to hang around the spa/gym for the whole day. The gym was good and quiet.
The heat and ice experience was busy so we decided to go in the next day before we left to discover that we were not allowed. Apparently you can only go into the spa on the day of arrival. If you wanted to use the spa the next day you have to pay an extra £27.50 each and still check out at 11. This was not explained to you by the staff on arrival or in the confirmation email.
Some of the spa staff were helpful but some made you feel a bit of an inconvenience.
The chlorine within the pool (in the jacuzzi and jet area in the pool) is so strong it hurts your eyes, apart from that the pool was lovely. It was hard at times to get a sun lounger. Its advisable to bring a book or magazine to read as you are waiting around a long time to get into your room. The sauna and steam rooms next to the pool were nice. The room was great. Was lovely and clean and spacious. Also the breakfast was lovely no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear LouHowitt

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review.

I am sorry that there was some misunderstanding with the location of your booking when you were trying to change it from one date to another and for the delay this took.

There are National Highway Brown Tourist Signs displaying Whittlebury Hall on several major roads surrounding our area - the A43 & on the A5 from Milton Keynes. Whittlebury Hall is located in the same grounds as Whittlebury Park and there are signs on the front wall/gate.

We have various different packages to suit different needs and requirements. According to our records you chose to book the August Special Promotional package, which, like many special offers do have terms and conditions and stipulations to what is included in a package. However, we do also have packages whereby guests have full use of the spa and leisure facilities on both day of arrival & departure, but this package is slightly a higher price. We also have packages that include lunch and a selection of treatments as well as dinner, bed and breakfast.

Check in to bedrooms (like many hotels around the country) is from 3pm. Those guests that are on a spa package, therefore are able to arrive as early as they wish and enjoy the many excellent spa and leisure facilities we have to offer. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the gym and you may be interested to know that in October we will be upgrading the facilities to state of the art gym equipment.

Our Spa is popular and I am most sorry if you found it to be too busy. We do have one of the largest hotel spa's in the country and so can accommodate the larger amount of guests and larger groups.

I duly note your valued feedback regarding the chloring levels although we do carry out water inspections throughout the day on all our pool areas.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the sauna and steam rooms and that your bedroom was great & clean and tidy and thank you for your kind feedback.

I do hope that you will be kind enough to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

It was such a lovely birthday treat, 5 star customer service from most of the staff.

I booked it via virgin experience and I feel it was well worth the money.

I didn't manage to book a treatment but I know the sauna, steam and pool area was more than enough for us.

The eating area was very spacious, the choice of food was fair and the general toilets were very clean at all times

Our room I feel was very nice and clean even though I like to bring my own pillow case, overall I know as I have already done so recommend this place to both couples and group bookings. This hotel is nice enough for a wedding

• Stayed: August 2013
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear VenusChrome

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in August to celebrate your birthday.

I am delighted to read that you had 5 star customer service and had a lovely stay whereby you were able to enjoy and experience the facilities.

Thank you for recommending us to your family & friends and we look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Had a spa break booked for us by our children, to arrive on friday morning, for use of the spa facilities all day, and the pool the following morning. We were told in the info pack that room would be ready for 3pm, but we arrived at 10am, and booked in very swiftly, and room was ready for us.
We headed up to the room which was very nice, and had everything we would expect, and more.

We then ventured down to the spa aria, to check in, and collect our bathrobes and towel which were all provided, and went in to change. Changing rooms were very clean with lockkers operated by a wristband with a chip in, very easy.

There was plenty of drinking water and green tea on offer as well as fruit.

The spa was lovely wi, with a huge hot tub, with little areas that had differing waterfalls, jaccusi's
etc, and dotted around the outside were showers and steam rooms + saunas, and an ice room, which was great. The pool area had nice loungers, and was not overcrowded.

The food on offer in the spa was healthy, but very nice.

In the evening, we ate in the main restaurant, and the food was of a very good standard, we opted to pay a supplement to have scallops starter, and fillet steak main, which was beautifully prepared.

There was a nice themed bar, (motor racing) as the spa in right on top of Silverstone race track.

The bed was very comfortable, with tea and coffee provided with a kettle. Nice big plasma TV on the wall with freeview.

All in all a great break, and we would return.

Room Tip: There are rooms overlooking the golf course, but we were not in our room much, so we did not stay i...
1  Thank miggywogs

Dear miggywogs

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in August.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and were able to experience all of the facilities that we have to offer and had a lovely evening meal.

Your kiind comments have been passed on to the teams.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to Whittlebury for another lovely visit.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We got a great deal through last minute, that included the spa, one treatment, an over night stay and dinner. All were lovely and great value! We will definitely recommend and book another visit soon!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ellise J

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in March.

I am delighted that you both had a lovely stay and enjoyed your visit.

I look forward to weloming you both back to Whittlebury in the near future.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

A group of us girls met for a hen weekend here, we all paid £110 each on a spa break deal, one day in the spa, one treatment, lunch, evening meal, bed & breakfast. I have visited whittlebury Hall on spa breaks on a couple of other previous occasions but this is the first time I've visited on a weekend day!
Big warning!!! Do not book spa days for a weekend! They are short staffed, there is NOT enough facilities to cope with the influx of guests and there are too many people for it to be 'relaxing'!

The spa pool had about 20 people in it, the two loungers which were supposed to be used for relaxing were of course constantly being used, the saunas and other rooms were full to capacity so people had to squeeze up to fit everybody in! We ended up only using half the facilities. The swimming pool loungers had all been reserved like the pools abroad, so there is absouletely no where for you to relax!
The 'two water beds' had constant queues, 10 minutes max time per person but there were always about six other people queuing every time we looked!
We tried to book extra treatments even the special offer of the ancient bathing ritual but no treatments were available all day!
We were giving lunch times of 2pm and 9pm which were unable to be changed unless we called later! We arrived at 9am so were starving by 2pm. We opted for a Victoria sandwich priced at £3, looked lovely but was dry!
Lunch was ok, no offer of wine or other drinks so we just opted for water. Ham & beef both full of fat, macaroni cheese with no flavour, soup was good though!
Dinner at 9pm was good though too late for us to enjoy!
Slept well, all bedrooms differed in size, very warm but aren't all hotels.
Breakfast was fine but thought supplement of £5.95 for an eggs benedict is a bit steep!

We had a good time as we didn't want these points to ruin our weekend but really feel let down by whittlebury, they understandably want as much money as possible but this stops your relaxing spa break being relaxing!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Emma O

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in August.

I was very sorry to read that you were disappointed with some aspects of your Hen Weekend and that the visit did not meet your personal expectations.

Contrary to your Subject Line, we do not 'over book' as we have regulations we have to adhere to, however we do have one of the largest hotel spa's in the country and therefore we can accommodate a larger amount of guests and the larger groups that smaller hotels & bespoke spa's cannot accommodate. It is true to say that our Spa has indeed become more popular and we do advertise ourselves as being a vibrant, sociable spa and like you correctly say weekends are more popular than mid week days. There are days however, midweek where the Spa does offer that tranquil and relaxing environment. I am most sorry if you were unable to fully enjoy and experience all of the facilities that we have to offer.

Our treatments are also very popular and we do advise guests to book additional treatments in advance to avoid any disappointment on the day.

I am sorry that the only available lunch and dinner times were 2pm and 9pm. We offer three lunch sittings 12pm, 1pm and 2pm and please feel free to request a specific time for lunch. Guests booking direct with the hotel are asked what time they would like to book a table for dinner, as again the popular times such as 7.30pm-8.30pm do get booked up very quickly. I am sorry for any inconvenience and delay this caused you and your guests.

I duly note you valued feedback regarding lunch and your valued feedback has been passed on to the Executive Head Chef.

I am pleased that you and your party continued to enjoy yourselves and I have taken note of your comments. I do hope that perhaps you will be kind enough to visit us again perhaps mid-week when I can assure you that your needs will be taken care of.

Kind regards, Ruth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Northampton M1, Jct 15
The White Hart
The White Hart
#4 of 4 in Buckingham

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!