“Jaded”
Review of Whittlebury Hall

Whittlebury Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My friend booked this as a spa weekend and having been to a number of spas before, I was really disapointed. While I think that the deal - including stay, food and some treatments was a good one, it did show. I had the impression that people on such deals - clearly meant as a taster and to bring people back to this place, were second class to those who came for the day or on non-packages.
The place itself was packed - you had to wait for everything from check in to getting into saunas/ pools. Overall there are too few facilities for a proper spa or the amount of people that have been admitted. There was nowhere to sit in the resting areas and the poor women who do the treatments were reduced to shouting across the room (not very relaxing for those of us who were trying to have a break). There is a resting room, but it is quite limited. The treatments itself were excellent and the redeeming feature of the weekend. However, if you have not pre-booked you are sent from pillar to post and told to come back again at some time and then told that no more treatments are available - which is annoying if you have made time to do so.
Everything in this place is very expensive - a cup of coffee/tea for £ 3.10? Since the waterjugs were almost always empty, I was really thirsty for most of the time.
The hotel is tired. My room was very dated with cracks in the wall, and sheets and old blankets instead of a proper duvet. Staff were pretty patronizing - the kind of smiley friendliness that is usueally reserved for children and dogs and I just hated being constantly addressed as 'you ladies' .
While lunch was really bad (some hot dishes, but little variety and also much of it not replaced), dinner was very good. Breakfast was mass-produced hot stuff and the coffee undrinkable (you also had to flag one of the waiting staff down who were not very keen to make rounds in the large room).
There must be a reason why no one asks you if you have enjoyed your stay at check out, perhaps because they know that this is really not that great.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Northernlassie
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Northernlassie,

Thank you for your review of Whittlebury Hall Hotel and Spa.

Our aim at the hotel is to ensure that every guest receives exceptional standards in both their stay and spa days. The Spa is a very popular feature and at times can be busy. The packages are great value for money and they are very competitive.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit and I really hope we can have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind Regards

Ruth

Write a ReviewReviews (2,550)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The best bits:
* Price - £99 for a pamper day including 4 treatments and lunch
* Having a pedicure while sitting in a massage chair
* Floatation beds, free and so relaxing
* Complimentary fruit & herbal tea throughout the day
* Spa staff - all friendly and professional, but one in particular dealt with a complaint very well, leaving me feeling valued as a customer

The worst bits:
* The changing facilities are way too small for so many guests - jostling to get to your locker was stressful, and trying to find somewhere to change without being in someone's way was impossible (the same situation on arrival and departure, despite leaving a full 2.5 hours early to avoid the rush). This would be my biggest barrier to returning in future.
* Only enough space for two people to stand at mirror & use hairdryers - again, stressful when so many guests are waiting.
* Manicure was not the full 25 minutes advertised and seemed rushed, using old varnish that had thickened. One nail smudged but instead of starting again, it was painted over - the paint was so thick, it didn't dry and all but one nail were ruined by the time I left.
* inconsistency. All of my treatments were doubles with my Mum. Despite being in the same room, having the same treatment simultaneously, we weren't always offered the same thing (one example: my Mum was asked what pressure she would prefer before the massage, but I wasn't given an option)
* I had completed the online medical form, as per the booking confirmation, but had to do it again at reception as they "don't keep the online forms". What is the point in doing it then? Waste of time.
* Reception will only accept a credit card for use as a tab, Visa debit is not accepted. Made ordering drinks and using the spa shop more hassle than it needed to be.

All in all, it was fine. However, for the personal touch, attention to detail and to leave feeling truly relaxed and pampered, I recommend Ragdale Hall in Leicestershire, well worth spending a bit extra.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank LillyWilko
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review following your visit.

I am pleased that you enjoyed most of your visit although do apologise if there were some disappointment - Whittlebury Hall Spa is indeed very popular and some days can be more in demand than other days.

Your comments have been duly noted and are invaluable in our efforts to continually improve the quality of our guest service. We always strive to ensure every guest receives the best service possible and leaves feeling pampered and relaxed.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the future.

Kind Regards, Ruth

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have just returned from the hotel and there were 8 of us. It was my first visit to a spa and overall an extremely enjoyable one. I did struggle trying to find my way around a few times just because the place is so huge, the location of the lockers should be on display!! (to save people wondering around aimlessly looking for them) and I thought coffee at £3.40 per cup a bit pricey!!... but other than that it was an excellent package and at a great price. I found the food and choice to be superb value for money and plenty of it, the room was modern, spacious very quiet and clean, the staff very friendly and helpful. I can't compare the spar to anything else but thought it was fantastic with all the different things to try out. I had one treatment free in the package which was excellent and It looked like that area was very popular and well run, certainly all 8 of us thoroughly enjoyed our treatments.

I hope to return one day soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear glossie,

Thank you for your recent review. We were delighted to hear you and your friends had a great stay and enjoyed one of the many treatments available in the spa.

I do hope you will be able to return again in the future.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband booked an Escape and Stay spa break for my daughter and I for a Christmas present. When we arrived we were informed we had been upgraded to a suite which was the biggest room I have ever seen, it contained everything we needed and was very luxurious. The spa was excellent, the staff very friendly. We had lunch included which was a buffet with plenty to choose from and as much as you could eat. We had treatments in the Beauty salon, the ladies were lovely and very professional. Dinner in the evening was also included, 3 courses again with a choice and the food was excellent. Breakfast in the morning was a buffet again and as much as you could eat and there was if anything too much choice. I cannot fault anything about our stay and would definitely recommend to anyone and hopefully will be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear pamcyoung,

Thank you for your recent review. We were delighted to read you had a great stay in one of our four suites, offering ample space with lounge and dining areas and large bathrooms with corner jacuzzi baths.

I do hope you will be able to visit again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

So the good points are. Very welcoming staff, nice food ( part of a package) otherwise £12 for a bit of egg and bacon is exorbitant. Plentiful towels and products. Nice waiting area upstairs. Bad points: horrible busy pool area with decor straight out of a Carry On movie , I half expected to see the ghost of Sid James in a loin cloth. Horrible terrace cafe right in front of reception. Two 25 minute treatments (man & ped) crammed into 35 mins, not good. Small sweaty gym where one had to walk right through a group cooling down to get to a treadmill. Would I go back? Absolutely not as there are better spas in this very competitive market.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear mkguyukBucks,

Thank you for your review.

We were pleased to read that you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay but also disappointed to read that some were not. The spa and leisure club are very popular and there are other areas to eat and relax in the hotel apart from the Terrace cafe which is ideally centrally located in the leisure club. I do hope your treatment timings were discussed with either a Day Spa manager or senior therapist as timings are regulated and would not normally be as short as you implied in your review without being noticed.

We continue to thrive and remain very competitive and believe we offer great value so do hope you will reconsid visiting in the future.

However, I would like to reassure reviewers that there are NOT any real ghosts at Whittlebury Hall !

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Staff helpful + friendly.
Food - overpriced - almost £10 for a panini. Could do with more veggie options.
Room - clean but not in the best condition eg mirror has crack in the corner.
Pool - v disappointed that we could only take our baby swimming during a 2 hour window, when the lifeguard is on duty. Very restrictive.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear EllieOttawa,

Thank you for your recent review. Our prices are regularly monitored and we do compare favourably to similar hotel and spa establishments and we also will go out of our way to cater for dietary requests and requirements, our menus are a guideline of popular dishes but our Chefs are always willing to create something different.

Due to having a large number of spa visitors we do operate a limited entrance criteria for children in the pool area at the weekend and we do also provide a lifeguard for extra peace of mind but am sorry that you felt this was too restrictive for your stay.

I do still hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the future

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Having paid £190 using a Virgin Gift Voucher for use of the spa, dinner, overnight stay and breakfast I was disappointed.
The Spa and spa staff are great, although the lockers were cramped by the time you put in your boots and winter coat! We didn’t have any treatments or eat in the spa.
The hotel is large and caters for conferences and weddings; we were greeted by a giant poster promoting a hearing aids conference! Also all the conference guests congregated in the bar so we couldn’t have a relaxing drink before dinner, unless we wanted to sit in the reception.
Our room was large and clean but we had an open, half eaten, packet of biscuits, a flickering light and no clock! Although Elemis toiletries were good. Also the hotel was very noisy; we were kept up every hour until 5:30am by presumably conference guests. The corridors are long and noise bounces around easily.
Dinner in Astons is without any atmosphere and tables are on top of each other, as well as faulty uncomfortable seats. Also if you are seated in the runway of tables down the middle like us the constant traffic of people is annoying and disturbing. Although the staff are very helpful and friendly and the food is reasonable.
Breakfast is buffet style and is a good selection but cold and soggy as they keep them in watered chaffing dishes, and kill the toast in a warmed cabinet! It is in the same room as dinner except the tables are laid canteen style and even more on top of each other. The only personal service is being taken to your table and the top up of tea.
Overall a reasonable place to stay but at a more reasonable rate, but not for a special occasion, which is what I had booked it for, as there is no attention to detail or personal service, very much a hotel by numbers.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Coleen S

Dear Coleen S,

Thank you for your recent review.

Please accept our apologies that there were some aspects of your stay which did not live up to your expectations but i do hope we were able to rectify certain aspects mentioned for you. The Hotel has a bustling atmosphere and caters for many conferences as well as spa guests and we are a popular venue. We therefore also provide additional areas to relax in such as the large lounge with its real fire when the Silverstone bar gets busy.

I do hope we can have an opportunity to restore your faith, we accommodate many celebrations at Whittlebury Hall from birthday treats to hen parties to anniversaries and we have many compliments. Please do let me know when you return and would like to make sure you are looked after.

Kind regards, Ruth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Travelodge Towcester Silverstone
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
The Saracens Head Hotel
The Saracens Head Hotel
#2 of 3 in Towcester
Travelodge Milton Keynes Old Stratford
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
Holiday Inn Express Northampton M1, Jct 15

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!