“Nice hotel”
Review of Whittlebury Hall

Whittlebury Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a works conference and was impressed by the facilities and size of hotel. Bedrooms were well equipped and comfortable and bathrooms were lush. Staff were always at hand when needed and well trained and helpful. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: February 2012
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear lucinda d

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review.

I am delighted that following your recent business visit to Whittlebury Hall you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and found Whittlebury Hall to be very comfortable. Thank you for your kind comments, which I have passed on to the teams.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the future for both business and pleasure.

There are newer reviews for Whittlebury Hall

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked for a spa & stay, on entering the Heat & Ice Experience area the smell of chlorine is overwhelming.
After using the hydro pool - my eyes were streaming, and bloodshot, my friends skin was dry and sore...clear indications that the chlorine levels are very high.
Whilst I have no doubt that Whittlebury Hall operate within the guidelines, they definitely are pushing it up to the higher end of 'safe'.
A swim in the main pool area felt like a dip in chemical soup - unimpressed.

The food was very nice at dinner, and the dining room quite uncrowded.

Now onto the rooms ....what a nightmare, the bed sheets are such bad quality, the mattresses were uncomfortable.
There was no air conditioning in the room, so we turned the heat off and opened the window.
Still at 6am I had not fallen asleep - all in all I managed a paltry 2 hours sleep.

I have never ever stayed in a hotel that disappointed me so much.
I would avoid this place, and if you are looking for a spa break consider somewhere more personal and with attention to detail like yspa in Milton Keynes.

To the management reading this - please consider using less chlorine, mine is not the only review mentioning this.
If your pool manager insists on maxing the chemical levels perhaps it's time to consider an alternative method of cleaning ozone/uv/salt.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BeccaDia

Dear BeccaDia

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review following your stay at Whittlebury Hall in January.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay and I would like to assure you that water checks are carried out throughout the day to ensure correct limits of chemicals are being used and I can confirm that chlorine levels were correctly within health and safety guidelines. I am sorry of course for any discomfort.

I duly note your feedback regarding the bedrooms and I am sorry that the furnishings did not meet your personal expectations. We do have duvets in the Club rooms and Suites and are looking at improving the rooms over the next 18 months.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your evening meal and the food.

If you feel you wish to discuss your stay with me further please do feel free to contact me direct.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked a one night package for me and my mother in law for her Birthday through Spabreaks. Arrived at 9am and although it was busy, we were checked in efficiently and with the minimum amount of fuss. Was a little confused about the credit card down payment thingymajig, as they wanted to precharge my credit card for £50 per person for spenditure around the spa and hotel - this is not needed, as you really don't need anything around the spa, water is available and lunch was provided in our package so we really didn't need anything else.
The spa area was very busy, but we did stay over the weekend in early january so possibly everybody had the same idea as myself, but having said that we still managed to enjoy all of the facilities. Lunch was lovely, soup and rolls to start, choice of four main dishes and fruit, yoghurt etc for desert, really could have filled my boots but thought better as had a stretch and relaxation class booked immediately after!
Included in our package was an ESPA express facial and back, neck and shoulder massage, there was nothing express about the facial - it was as thorough as any other mini facial I have had and the back massage was heavenly, it was surprising to receive an actual massage rather than someone just running their hands up and down your back. I was near to asking her to go easy on me at some points throughout but when she had finished I felt as though I was floating! Treatment area is lovely, calm, relaxing and again although they were busy it never felt so.
Dinner was a little disappointing - very busy, can't fault the food, but the staff were running around like beheaded chickens. We were sat along the alleyway and my hair wafted everytime one of them ran by with plates of food - felt very much like a canteen. Starter arrived almost as we did, main was close behind but waited almost an hour for desert. My poor old mother in law, who had mistakenly took two sleepers earlier instead of her gout tablets nearly fell asleep in her tiramisu. I would definately recommend upgrading to murrays if you like to dine not feed.
Breakfast was fab, and again really wanted to fill my boots, but the gym and pool was next so avoided stuffing my face, but the sausages were yummy.
Checked out about 10.30am and was planning to use the gym and pool facilities only to be told we could use them only until 11am. Attention managers of Whittlebury Hall could you make this clearer to clients upon checking in, I understand there is a £10 fee in place if you wish to stay on and use the facilities which I think is good value, but would've have been better to have known about this before 10.30am the next morning as we could have booked this upon check-in.
All in all, excellent facilities, heat and ice treatment well worth it, staff very friendly and accomodating, rooms lovely and spacious bathrooms. Would recommend and will definately be back.

Room Tip: Wanted to book an upgraded room but none available, to be honest we found the normal room more than...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear RayG71

Thank you for your detailed trip advisor review following your recent visit to Whittlebury Hall.

Your feedback has been duly noted and is invaluable in our efforts to continually improve the quality of our guest service. I am pleased that overall you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay and experienced all of our facilities. I am sorry if you found dinner to be a little to quick and your review has been passed on to the relevant managers. Except for one package - all of our packages include use of the Leisure Club up until 11am on day of departure and the information is advised on the website site and our confirmation letters.

I do hope that you will be kind enough to visit us again in the near future for another enjoyable visit.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

No complaints, even though busy there is space enough for everyone to relax.
Helpful and considerate staff, clean spacious room, tasty food.
A spa experience costing little more than a lesser hotel may charge for B&B.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear jaxvint62

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review.

I am pleased that you and your friends enjoyed all aspects of your stay and thank you for your kind comments, that have been passed on to the teams.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the near future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My daughter and I have have just returned home from our 4th visit here.We have always gone during the week so on occasions the spa has been busy we have never felt it was too busy.we really enjoy the ice and heat experience and feel we ger our monies worth .We have always managed to book into one or more classes during our two day break and have found the instructors excellent.
The hotel is run separately from the spa as far as we can tell,the leisure club is part of the hotel.There is a contrast in the different staff ,the hotel staff are charming and very helpful.We always eat in the Murry's resturant in the evening ,we find the food excellent and well worth the £15 supplement we pay on top of our spa package price.We shall certainly go again and people who criticise it should compare the price they pay ,to other spa breaks in the area, we think it very good value especially if checking the hotels special offers on their web sight.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear CaroleABedfordshire

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall earlier this month.

I would like to thank you for your kind review and feedback and I am delighted that you and your daughter enjoyed another excellent visit and got to experience and enjoy all of the facilities in the Spa and Hotel. Your feedback has been passed on to all the teams.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the future for another excellent stay.

Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Arrived early morning as requested to find we had are treatments straight away leaving us little time to get checked in and get changed, felt rushed from the start. Asked to change to a later time but the staff where not helpfull ended up 10 minutes late for my treatment, treatment was average and rushed.

The Spa was very busy and it was difficult to use all the spa facilities due to this, the area was very noisy and we found it difficult to relax.

We found the hotel very comfortable and clean.

We would use the hotel again but don't bother with spa when booking weekend deals it's far to busy...

Don't think we would return.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Dman0001

Dear Dman0001

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review.

I duly note your valued feedback following your visit to Whittlebury Hall and I am sorry the time in the Spa did not meet your personal expectations. You may not be aware, but the Spa is one of the largest hotel spa's in the country so we can accomodate larger groups and numbers that smaller health farms and spa's cannot accommodate. Our spa is therefore very sociable and vibrant with lots of different experiences to encounter. Treatments can start from as early as 10.00am and I am sorry that on this occasion we were unable to change your treatments times.

I am pleased that you did enjoy the hotel facilities and thank you for your kind comments.

Thank you again for your valued feedback and I am pleased that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Back in September my wife and I went here for an overnight Spar experience with evening meal and breakfast.
We arrived after lunch and found our room acceptable. The place was very busy as there was an Open University conference. The main bar was looking a bit shabby and could do with a refurbish but the afternoon tea was very good.
Before our evening meal we went into the Spa and enjoyed full use of everything, as there were only a few people around. The evening meal was excellent as was the breakfast the following morning.
We enjoyed it so much that we were happy to go for a day Spar experience with lunch which was bought for us for a Christmas present.
On Jan 3rd 2013 we arrived to take advantage of our booking. Unfortunately everyone and his dog had also booked a post Christmas detox!
The contrast to our previous visit was vast. When we entered the Spa it was like a scene from March of the Penguins with the pool area packed and every steam and sauna occupied. However this was not an end to the misery as within a few minutes of entering the room my eyes started streaming and nostrils were burning. I then started coughing and realised that I was not the only one to suffer! After 20mins my wife and I left the Spar, as we could not endure it any longer.
Our 2 course lunch had turned into a help yourself buffet which tended to prove that the whole experience thing was oversubscribed.
The rest of our day was spent in the swimming pool area as we could breath in there.
Despite our complaints we were told that the chemicals in the spar were not to blame nor was there a problem with the ventilation. The initial attitude of the management was that there was not a problem and it was my decision whether I wished to use the spar or not! Eventually my protest that I had come for an enjoyable experience and had not had that.
In fairness they did give us a voucher valid for 6 months to return and use the Spar.
Watch this space for the update. We know that this can be good but you need to get the timing right or it can go wrong for you.

Room Tip: Try arrange your use of the Fire and Ice Spar to miss any peak times. This might only be possible fo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Hydraman

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review following your two visits to Whittlebury Hall.

I would also like to thank you for your detailed review and comments and duly note your valued feedback regarding both stays and experiences. I am most sorry if there were some unfortunate issues that took place during your second visit. Water checks are carried out throughout the day to ensure correct limits of chemicals are being used and I can confirm that chlorine levels were correctly within health and safety guidelines. I sincerely apologise for any upset and concern and trust your eyes are now feeling better.

Our Day Spa Packages as always are inclusive of a 2 course self-serve buffet lunch.

I am pleased that you will be returning to visit us in the very near future and I would like to put your mind at rest and assure you that you will have another fantastic day as you did on your first visit.

Kind regards, Ruth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
Hilton Northampton
Hilton Northampton
#8 of 29 in Northampton

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!