“Great stay”
Review of Whittlebury Hall

Whittlebury Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Attended this hotel for a 2 day conference but did not use the Spa facilities so can provide no comment on those.

Great, friendly service although a colleague of mine had a dodgy pint, which was promptly changed without fuss or hassle.

Rooms are of their time but not necessarily worn or tired - just not particulary modern. Bathroom huge, powerful shower over bath and bed comfortable.

Check in staff friendly and helpful - experienced no issues at all and my bags arrived in my room as planned whilst I was working.

Evening meal in our own conference suite was excellent - attentive service and well presented and prepared.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian C
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Ian C

Thank you for taking the time to write your Trip Advisor review following your recent visit to Whittlebury Hall.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendly reception staff and your excellent evening meal.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the future.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having been on several spa day's here numerous times - it's fair to say this time will be my last. It's always ridiculously overcrowded and we felt more like shoppers in a supermarket than spa customers. I was not told about needing to bring my own footwear on booking and this just leads to the look of customers in some common council-run pool complex! Hardly the 5 star spa with robes & slippers the surroundings lead themselves to being! The multiple receptions give rise to an air of disorganisation and the changing areas are disjointed leading to walks in cold outer corridors. The treatments have always been excellent but this time I had a hot stone massage with Luke-warm stones in a freezing room while lying pretty much naked under one towel! I did pass in my feedback & the therapist I'd try to improve the room temperature to no avail. It just feels like a rip-off with customers rammed in like cattle in outdoor footwear. Surely this is a) unhygienic & b) not the image Whittlebury should be promoting - disappointing.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SunJunkieMk

Dear SunJunkieMk

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review.

I am most sorry to read that despite enjoying many other previous visits to Whittlebury Hall on this occasion you were disappointed. The spa has become more popular over the years and we do accommodate the larger groups that smaller, bespoke spa's cannot accommodate. Your feedback has indeed been duly noted and passed on to the Spa Manager.

I do hope that perhaps you would be kind enough to visit us again when I can assure you that you will be looked after.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our second time here for me and the wife. Booked the Escape & Spa Stay Plus package with the Club Room upgrade. Stayed on a Sunday.
Warm friendly greeting at reception, went straight to the spa, smooth booking in process and we went into the Fire & Ice area. A nice selection of hot and cold rooms and experience showers etc, plus large whirlpool.
It did get crowded as the morning wore on, but this is to be expected for the price. If you want a more serene experience, visit Ragdale and pay their prices!
The only negative to the spa was the shortage of space to hang robes - some additional pegs around the perimeter wall would be a good addition.
We took lunch in Astons restaurant, which was a far superior experience to our previous stay, when we lunched in the Terrace Cafe. Food was good and varied and service first class. The restaurant staff were well organised and were regularly replenishing items.
Returned to the spa, then later enjoyed a very good body polish and back massage.
Evening meal in Astons was excellent, as was breakfast the following morning. Both provided delicious food and service was again outstanding.
Our club room (158) was nicely furnished and overlooked the golf course.
The only small negatives, are that I feel hot chocolate should not be a chargeable extra for breakfast and I found the quilt on the bed a little too warm for me.
All in all, WH is a well run hotel/spa with a very good team of pleasant professional staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank betterthanwork
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear betterthanwork

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read that you and your wife enjoyed your second visit to Whittlebury Hall and thank you for your very kind comments, which I have had pleasure in passing on to the teams.

Your valued comments regarding the shortage of space to hang robes and charging for hot chocolate have been duly noted and passed on to the Department Managers.

I am glad that following your first visit you found the buffet lunch to be an improvement and a far superior experience.

I look forward to welcoming you both back to Whittlebury Hall for your thrid visit in the near future.

Kindest regards, Ruth

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Whittlebury Hall 14/10/11 – 15/10/11 and I would like to make you aware of our experience.
It was very disappointing.

It all started going wrong when my friend made the reservation.
*Note that we had a Whittlebury £100 voucher that I received as a Christmas present*

She spoke to Charlotte Miller on the reservations desk on the 23/09/2011.
She enquired about the Moulin Rouge show and overnight package and asked if we could use the voucher to pay for this.
My friend was advised by Charlotte that she could use the voucher but was also advised to book there and then as the evening was selling out.
Unfortunately my friend didn’t have my voucher number on her but was advised by Charlotte to pay there and then and to call back with the voucher number to get the £100 refunded.
When my friend phoned back she was advised she could not get the £100 refunded.
This was very disappointing as my friend was then £100 out of pocket, after expecting this amount to be refunded.
So Whittlebury Hall basically lied to us to get our booking and extra money from us!!!

My friend booked us an overnight stay on the Friday which included dinner and show.
Breakfast, lunch and treatments were booked for the Saturday.
My friend was advised that the treatment was either a facial or a massage.
When querying this, my friend was advised this was a full body massage. So we chose the body massage.

We then received our booking confirmation which stated that our lunch and treatments were on the Friday.
This is not what we asked for. As we both work on a Friday’s we could not have got to Whittlebury Hall early enough. After several phone calls this was rectified.
So Whittlebury Hall clearly doesn’t listen very carefully to your requirements at time of booking!

I rang Whittlebury reservations on 26/06/2011 to book a further 3 treatments so that was could use my £100 voucher – which I obviously still had because of Whittlebury halls lies to us at the time of booking.
The 3 treatments equalled £160 so I gave my credit card details over the phone to pay the £60 difference.
I asked for booking confirmation but was advised I didn’t need this as it was all logged on their system.

We arrived Friday 14th October at Whittlebury Hall about 3pm and we checked in okay.
Reception staff were lovely and helpful and advised us to go to the SPA reception in the morning for our treatment schedule.

Our room was nice and we had a wonder around Whittlebury Hall and enjoyed the use of the pool facilities.
Our dinner and show started at 7:30
Dinner was nice and the service was excellent.
However after dinner was the Moulin Rouge show and I must express how deeply disappointed we were with this, and felt it resembled something that you would find in a Butlins holiday resort.
It wasn’t what I expected from a ‘classy’ establishment.
Tacky is an understatement

Saturday morning we go down to the Spa reception to get the times for our treatments.
The massage included in the room booking was at 4:30 but there was no other treatments scheduled.
We queried this and there was no evidence of any other treatments booked on their system.
We went back to the room and I checked my credit card statement online. There was no £60 deduction. We rang reception and gave them our voucher number and they confirmed there was still £100 on it.
So it became apparent that the lady on the reservations desk I had the conversation with on the 26th September at 16:45, had done absolutely nothing with the bookings that I requested and my credit card details given.

As you can imagine, we were NOT happy.

We spoke to Hayley on the Spa reception who advised us that they were fully booked but she would try her best to squeeze us in and for us to come back after 11:00, as they will know by then if they have had any cancellations.
Fortunately Hayley managed to squeeze us in (excellent job from Hayley) So on Saturday we had lunch at 1:00, facials at 2:00 and then massage at 4:00.

The facials were £60 EACH and were skin specific and as the therapist advised us that the products included active ingredients to assist our skin type. The facials were lovely.

But at 4:00 we went for our body massage which turned out to be a ‘well-being’ massage.
As previously mentioned my friend was advised it was a fully body massage so again we were given the wrong information from Charlotte at the reservations desk.
Charlotte Miller clearly needs more training as she cannot do her job!!!

During the massage (which is done with oils) she started massaging my face – WITH OILS!!!!
So basically the £60 I paid for the facial with these active ingredients were diluted because oil was then rubbed onto my face.

I have never done a spa before so was REALLY looking forward to this but unfortunately I left Whittlebury Hall feeling more stressed than when I arrived.

I sent a letter of complaint to the manager Ruth Hession who offered a free facial and to call her direct to book this in
We were never able to actually get through to Ruth to book this appointment as she never answers her phone

I feel as though I would never return to Whittlebury Hall based on this experience.
Was completely unprofessional.
Certain members of staff cannot do their jobs competently.
A spa weekend is meant to be relaxing, instead we spent £260 to feel stressed and disappointed

Centre parks is opening on Woburn very soon and I cannot wait to try there
I feel Whittlebury Hall will lose some custom because centre parcs are opening a spa so you would think Whittlebury Hall would be trying harder to make their customers happy – clearly not

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank tracey1983uk

Dear tracey1983uk

Thank you for taking the time to write a trip advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in October 2011.

Having already replied in full to you following your letter of concern last year, I reiterate my sincere apologies for the difficulties and frustrations you and your friend experienced. As explained to you at the time, the reservation and treatment details should indeed have been booked correctly - Charlotte was actually a new employee in October 2011 and is now one of our experienced and very dedicated members of our Reservations Department who is very knowledgable on all aspects of spa and treatment bookings. I am of course pleased that Hayley was able to re-schedule treatments accordingly on the day.

As previously detailed in my reply to you, the Soothe & Stay package includes a Whittlebury Well Being Massage, which is a full body massage with a scalp & face massage and Charlotte did actually give you the correct information. However, the therapist completing the Massage should have noted from your notes that you had already had the Elemis Skin Specific Facial and therefore should have ommitted the face massage from the massage treatment.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the Moulin Rouge show yet pleased that you enjoyed your evening meal and found the service to be excellent and thank you for your kind comments. The Moulin Rouge show is a tribute night and of course a more extravagant event could take place, but this would be reflected with a more significant price compared to what is charged for the event. We have since held this event on two more occasions to wonderful compliments and reviews.

Despite the dissatisfaction with some aspects of your stay I am pleased that you found the Reception team to be lovely and helpful and your room nice.

I believe I offered you 25% discount off a future visit and a complimentary facial each as a gesture of apology. In my capacity as Front Office & Guest Relations Manager I can be away from my desk for certain periods however guests are able to leave a voice message which is replied to - I have looked back at all my notebooks from October 2011 and have found no message from either yourself or Ms Allwork. However, perhaps if you would be kind enough to either contact me at the the hotel I would be more than happy to arrange the offer as detailed in my original letter and it would be a delighted to demonstrate to you our usual high levels of hospitality.

I do hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to Whittlebury Hall.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on the 11th November. We used the spa facilities and the spent the night.
Over all it's a stunning place to stay and the spa is very good with plenty to rejuvenate yourself with. The 3 course meal that was part of the package was really good, good sized portions and prepared well.

The room we stayed in was 130 and this is where my only complaint is. The bed was too firm but this is personal preference. The pillows were paper thin and even the two extra ones in the wardrobe were no better. I had to contact reception to ask for pillows.

On the whole though I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Alistair B

Dear Alistair B

Thank you for your review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall on the 11th of November.

I was pleased that overall you really enjoyed your stay and found the spa facilities and dinner to both be very good.

All of our 212 bedrooms do vary in size, decor and location and I duly note your comments regarding the bed and pillows - this feedback is invaluable to us in improving the whole guest experience and your comments have been passed on to the Head Housekeeper.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in 2013.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect from such an amazingly reasonable deal - but was shocked by how fabulous this was. Went with 8 pals and we paid about £100 each for lunch, dinner, bed, breakfast AND a spa treatment. Food was really really good, bedrooms were lovely and the spa itself is really pretty good = although I don't have much experience with spas to be very honest.

The ice and fire thing was a tad too busy for my liking but no wonder at that price, my facial was lovely - and I decided to get my hair cut which was a really fun and nice experince. The gym and pool is good, clean and not busy.

Then the next morning - because I could not get back in the gym I went for a run around the golf course - lovely - no one out there so did not have to dodge balls!

Do go - this is so worth the money!

Room Tip: I had 305 and it was fine - my pals over the corridor had to put up with a noisy generator - mabye a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SurreyTravel_Bug

Dear Surrey Travel_Bug

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in November.

I was delighted to read that you and your 8 friends had a fabulous visit and thank you for your kind comments and review, which I have passed on to the teams - it sounds as if you did take in all of the facilities, which is fantastic.

All of our 212 bedrooms do vary in size, decor and location and I am sorry that your friends were allocated and disturbed - please ensure that you ask for a quiet room when next staying.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in 2013.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I really wish I could write a more positive review of Whittlebury Hall.

My husband and I initially went for an overnight spa day in August 2012. The day in the spa was superb - the lunch was yummy and even though it was busy, it didnt spoil our day. As part of the package we had dinner included which once again the food was fabulous - friendly, attentive staff, good selection on the menu.
It was all going so well until we returned to our room that evening where it was stifllingly hot (it was a summer evening) and no air con (its a listed building so not as modern as you would think) the window only opened 2 inches - not enough for any breeze. In the room there is a pedestal fan which on its lowest setting sounds like a small airplane taking off so certainly couldnt sleep with it on. - the price you pay for a lovely building I guess...

Sleep was to elude us all evening as we were disturbed until 3am with raucous cheering and laughter from the outside bar area by a large group of men attending a conference - having called down to reception at 1am we thought they would pipe down but no. All the lovely relaxing from the spa was quickly undone - a very uncomfortable night.
We mentioned our disgruntlment on check out and had a duty manager profusly apologise and promise he would get back to us in later that week witha proper apology from the manager.
4 weeks later we receive a proforma style apology letter, apologising for things we had not complained about. When I highlighted this to the manager - we received a personalised response offering a complientary stay with dinner included.
We took this offer up in October as we were so impressed with the spa we hoped the hotel could be redeemed.
All went swimmingly until dinnertime when in the adjoining room a wedding party was taking place. I have never heard such a loud baseline to music and I could vibrations right through my chest. this went on for 10-15 minutes with no sign off stopping, ruining the enjoyment of our main course as we couldnt hear each other speak!! All other guests were a perplexed as us. We spoke to the manager who attitude to us was one of 'you have to suck it up - there is a party next door and this is the price we all pay when this happens!' We asked to finish our meal in the 'fine dining' restaurant which we did followed by a few other guests too.
The irony isnt missed on us that we were to enjoy a complimentary stay to compensate for the excessive noise only to be once again disturbed by unbelievablly loud music.

Its is apparent that Whittlebury Hall has little control over their guests and the few who choose to be loud and distruptive are given free reign to ruin other guests enjoyment of the hotel. Its a large hotel - more attention should be paid to the allocation of rooms so the greater number of guests do not have their time spoilt.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lucycaa

Dear lucycaa

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review.

I am so sorry, that despite two enjoyable visits at the spa have then ended with disappointment due to noise levels. Whittlebury Hall is a very popular, 212 bedroom hotel with conference and function facilities and in this current climate will, as I am sure you can appreciate, accommodate and utilise all of our facilities 100% and are lucky to be able to do so. Having said this, when holding different events for guests they should not impose on any of our other guests and I am very sorry that both conference guests in August and then a wedding intruded in your sleep and dinner. We will always endeavour to do our best to ensure such noise from fellow guests is indeed kept to a limit and we do not condone bad beahaviour.

I do hope that despite the unfortunate situations you will be kind enough to visit us again.

Kind regards, Ruth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Towcester Silverstone
The Saracens Head Hotel
The Saracens Head Hotel
#2 of 3 in Towcester
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
Holiday Inn Express Northampton M1, Jct 15
Travelodge Milton Keynes Old Stratford

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!