“Overall enjoyable”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
“Overall enjoyable”
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on the 11th November. We used the spa facilities and the spent the night.
Over all it's a stunning place to stay and the spa is very good with plenty to rejuvenate yourself with. The 3 course meal that was part of the package was really good, good sized portions and prepared well.

The room we stayed in was 130 and this is where my only complaint is. The bed was too firm but this is personal preference. The pillows were paper thin and even the two extra ones in the wardrobe were no better. I had to contact reception to ask for pillows.

On the whole though I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Alistair B
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Alistair B

Thank you for your review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall on the 11th of November.

I was pleased that overall you really enjoyed your stay and found the spa facilities and dinner to both be very good.

All of our 212 bedrooms do vary in size, decor and location and I duly note your comments regarding the bed and pillows - this feedback is invaluable to us in improving the whole guest experience and your comments have been passed on to the Head Housekeeper.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in 2013.

Kind regards, Ruth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Surrey
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect from such an amazingly reasonable deal - but was shocked by how fabulous this was. Went with 8 pals and we paid about £100 each for lunch, dinner, bed, breakfast AND a spa treatment. Food was really really good, bedrooms were lovely and the spa itself is really pretty good = although I don't have much experience with spas to be very honest.

The ice and fire thing was a tad too busy for my liking but no wonder at that price, my facial was lovely - and I decided to get my hair cut which was a really fun and nice experince. The gym and pool is good, clean and not busy.

Then the next morning - because I could not get back in the gym I went for a run around the golf course - lovely - no one out there so did not have to dodge balls!

Do go - this is so worth the money!

Room Tip: I had 305 and it was fine - my pals over the corridor had to put up with a noisy generator - mabye a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SurreyTravel_Bug
Dear Surrey Travel_Bug

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in November.

I was delighted to read that you and your 8 friends had a fabulous visit and thank you for your kind comments and review, which I have passed on to the teams - it sounds as if you did take in all of the facilities, which is fantastic.

All of our 212 bedrooms do vary in size, decor and location and I am sorry that your friends were allocated and disturbed - please ensure that you ask for a quiet room when next staying.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in 2013.

london
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I really wish I could write a more positive review of Whittlebury Hall.

My husband and I initially went for an overnight spa day in August 2012. The day in the spa was superb - the lunch was yummy and even though it was busy, it didnt spoil our day. As part of the package we had dinner included which once again the food was fabulous - friendly, attentive staff, good selection on the menu.
It was all going so well until we returned to our room that evening where it was stifllingly hot (it was a summer evening) and no air con (its a listed building so not as modern as you would think) the window only opened 2 inches - not enough for any breeze. In the room there is a pedestal fan which on its lowest setting sounds like a small airplane taking off so certainly couldnt sleep with it on. - the price you pay for a lovely building I guess...

Sleep was to elude us all evening as we were disturbed until 3am with raucous cheering and laughter from the outside bar area by a large group of men attending a conference - having called down to reception at 1am we thought they would pipe down but no. All the lovely relaxing from the spa was quickly undone - a very uncomfortable night.
We mentioned our disgruntlment on check out and had a duty manager profusly apologise and promise he would get back to us in later that week witha proper apology from the manager.
4 weeks later we receive a proforma style apology letter, apologising for things we had not complained about. When I highlighted this to the manager - we received a personalised response offering a complientary stay with dinner included.
We took this offer up in October as we were so impressed with the spa we hoped the hotel could be redeemed.
All went swimmingly until dinnertime when in the adjoining room a wedding party was taking place. I have never heard such a loud baseline to music and I could vibrations right through my chest. this went on for 10-15 minutes with no sign off stopping, ruining the enjoyment of our main course as we couldnt hear each other speak!! All other guests were a perplexed as us. We spoke to the manager who attitude to us was one of 'you have to suck it up - there is a party next door and this is the price we all pay when this happens!' We asked to finish our meal in the 'fine dining' restaurant which we did followed by a few other guests too.
The irony isnt missed on us that we were to enjoy a complimentary stay to compensate for the excessive noise only to be once again disturbed by unbelievablly loud music.

Its is apparent that Whittlebury Hall has little control over their guests and the few who choose to be loud and distruptive are given free reign to ruin other guests enjoyment of the hotel. Its a large hotel - more attention should be paid to the allocation of rooms so the greater number of guests do not have their time spoilt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucycaa
Dear lucycaa

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review.

I am so sorry, that despite two enjoyable visits at the spa have then ended with disappointment due to noise levels. Whittlebury Hall is a very popular, 212 bedroom hotel with conference and function facilities and in this current climate will, as I am sure you can appreciate, accommodate and utilise all of our facilities 100% and are lucky to be able to do so. Having said this, when holding different events for guests they should not impose on any of our other guests and I am very sorry that both conference guests in August and then a wedding intruded in your sleep and dinner. We will always endeavour to do our best to ensure such noise from fellow guests is indeed kept to a limit and we do not condone bad beahaviour.

I do hope that despite the unfortunate situations you will be kind enough to visit us again.

Kind regards, Ruth

Travelers are raving about these Towcester hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I visited Whittlebury again this weekend and it seems like standards have seriously slipped since my previous visits. I know that you get what you pay for, but I had upgraded to a club room. When we arrived it was freezing and there were 2 portable heaters in the room, so they obviously knew there was a problem and one was supposed to be plugged into a socket that was falling off the wall. We were moved and in the 2nd room a panel was hanging off the bathroom door and the riser rail was hanging on 1 screw, but by this point I couldn't be bothered to argue. The food was fine, although make sure you ask for the wine by the number and not by grape variety and country as it became a bit tedious when the 3rd incorrect bottle was delivered to our table and the waiter just said "I can't find it."
The spa areas have more of a feel of a production line than a area of tranquility.
As this is now a competative marketplace, I think I will be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrsCreet
Dear MrsCreet

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall.

I was very sorry and concerned to read that you were disappointed with your last visit and that you felt that standards had dropped. I do wish that perhaps you would have taken time during your stay or thereafter to discuss your concerns direct with us so that we could have put things right for you and so that you left happy and wanting to return to us. Please feel free to still contact me direct if you wish to discuss your last stay further.

Guest service is of upmost importance to us as well as the ongoing maintenance of our bedrooms and hotel and spa facilities. As you are also aware from your previous visit the service you received is certainly not typical of our excellent hospitality.

I do hope that you will be kind enough to reconsider and visit us again when I can assure you that your stay will be enjoyable.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent an anniversary weekend on an exclusive spa break and enjoyed the experience. Treatment was excellent and the room was large and comfortable. Paid a bit extra for the Club room but worth it.
Restaurant food was very good, both lunch, dinner and breakfast. Very busy but no service problems.
Only down side was long wait and queue to check-in/check-out and some confusion over treatment times.

Room Tip: Book the Club room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrbnorth
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear jrbnorth

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review following your enjoyable visit to Whittlebury Hall to celebrate your Anniversary and I am pleased that your treatment was excellent and room comfortable.

I am sorry there was a delay to check in and out.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returned from a night here and I must say I struggle to fault the experience except for the amount of people they cram into the spa, now I understand its a business but omg how many people. It wasn't very relaxing due to having to wait to try things and the constant noise during the day. I once counted 32 people in the main jacuzzi and believe me you couldn't move. There was queues for the foot spa's and the sauna and steam rooms were just so busy all the time. I feel that they over crowd which unfortunately puts a downer on the day. As for the hotel, food and staff they all give 110% all of the time so congratulations to management, the staff pull back the negative from the spa in the way you are treated. The food was delicious and very well organised. Overall I would recommend this to anyone who wants a nice spa/hotel as it cannot be faulted for this but just check how many people they have booked in for that day.. :)

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashuk2012
Dear Ashuk2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your recent spa visit to Whittlebury Hall and that you found the hotel, food and staff excellent - thank you for your kind comments, which I have passed on to the teams.

Whittlebury Hall does have one of the largest hotel spa's in the country and therefore can accommodate the larger groups that smaller spa's cannot accommodate. Our spa is sociable and vibrant and I am of course most sorry if you found it to be a little to busy and loud although some days to tend to be more popular than others.

Thank you for your valued feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has an excellent spa facility.
I have been to the hotel a few times over the last 10 years and I have not rated it 5/5 before, but this time we had an inclusive spa break as an anniversary gift and am marking the overall Spa Break as a 5/5. The heat and Ice experience is great. Although it can feel a bit noisy, with the high pressure water jets always on and sometimes some loud guest trying to talk over the noise. However, you can always pop next door and sit by the pool which is much quieter. We had two treatments included in our package and these were also good. Lunch and dinner were good (not excellent). The only downside was the dated bathroom in our room (an upgraded club room) which has certainly seen better days. I think it is time for a refurb of the bathrooms, but I think I have written this before. Overall if you are after a one night spa break and you are not too far away go for it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bobby B
Dear barryhousehotel

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I duly note your valued comments and I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your last visit to Whittlebury Hall and thank you for the 5/5! We are looking at a redocoration programme of our bedrooms for 2013.

I look forward to welcoming you back for many more spa breaks.

Kind regards

Ruth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Hilton Northampton
Hilton Northampton
#8 of 29 in Northampton
Holiday Inn Express Northampton M1, Jct 15

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!