“Excellent!”

Sun, 2/23
8:00 PM
Ranked #11 of 55 Restaurants in Towcester
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Butchers Arms has recently been brought back to life after being rescued by a group of enthusiastic locals. Now owned by a consortium of local villagers and investors, it has been completely refurbished, extended and remodelled. The Butchers Arms now boasts a 'modern rustic' bar, a relaxed dining area, a stylish Private Dining / Meeting room, a multi-purpose function room and a newly landscaped tiered garden. A hub for community activities, The Butchers Arms is proud to support local teams and groups, both in the venue and out in the wider community. We also love well behaved dogs and children. With access to all areas for disabled users (with the exception of the upstairs Private Dining / Meeting room) we aim to make everyone feel at home. This truly is a pub for the modern era, encompassing traditional values.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A friend and I visited yesterday, having last visited maybe 30 years ago!!
The place has undergone a complete refurbishment and was very comfortable.
Me, being a finicky eater, happened to ask about dishes that were not red meat or fish.
Immediately there was a request to the chef to conjure up a chicken dish which was absolutely delicious! It was followed by poached pear with orange sorbet, which was equally as lovely!!
So thank you to the very obliging and friendly staff. I have already told several people about our wonderful experience at The Butchers Arms and it will certainly not be another 30 years before I revisit!!

Date of visit: January 2020
RestaurantBA, Other at The Butchers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello "Loveajolly"

Thank you so much for your 5* review!

I am delighted to hear that our FOH team and Chef's went above and beyond for you!

I hope we will be seeing you again sooner than 30 years too!

Restaurant Manager

Write a reviewReviews (203)

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

Well this place is fabulous from the food to the staff. We went for Sunday lunch booked a table in advance. 10 of us took family from new Zealand. The food was absolutely amazing we all had te Sunday roast from pork tamb and beef everyone loved it. Also the desserts are to die for. Hats off to the sheff. Would highly recommend it to anyone
Thankyou

Date of visit: January 2020
RestaurantBA, Other at The Butchers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2020

Hello jomasters19,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave us a 5* review!

I am so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed yourselves, especially after traveling all the way from New Zealand!

Our chef's John and Matt will both be over the moon to read this review! (Shout out to our chefs!)

See you again soon!

Reviewed January 14, 2020

The Butchers Arms – Never fails to disappoint! The pub hosts wide variety of beers raging from IPA’s to stouts with a plethora of local and craft ales. If beer is not your tipple then there’s still a huge collection of ciders, wines and spirits, the pub is starting to dabble with cocktails as well!
Where food is concerned there will always be an option for you whether you’re a fan of meat or not or completely plant based there will always be a hearty option that will be made from the freshest produce and prepared to the highest quality, taste and presentation. The pub is one the best local options for atmosphere, flavoursome food, friendly staff and decent drinks. The Butchers Arms reining far supreme to any other local option.
The staff here have a clear and precise knowledge of the different characteristics and properties of the drinks on sale. Despite the young age of the workforce they’re confident to give recommendations and suggestions based on what the customer likes.
In conclusion the overall experience was brilliant and we shall definitely be returning for more food and drink. The service was professional yet friendly. – Excellent atmosphere, Excellent drink, Excellent staff and Excellent food.

Hello Tom23032000,

THANK YOU for such a lovely review!

Age does not mean experience when you have the right staff training on hand! Our full time staff have all had extensive training on food and drink preparation and we agree that it shows!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Thanks again,

Reviewed January 12, 2020

I had visited with my partner, who had booked the table for us, a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday. The restaurant wasn't busy but the bar area was packed and was difficult to get past what looked like the locals. It wasn't made obvious to us where to stand in order to be seated so we had waited until bar staff were available who pointed us to the very tiny area between the restaurant and the pub where a little sign said to stand, we waited again for a couple of minutes and was seated by a lovely girl who then took our drinks orders. We didn't wait too long for drinks but took about 20-25 minutes to wave somebody down to take our food order - food then took about 40 minutes to make, and we were both so hungry by that point that we could have eaten anything however the food was adequate. The presentation was lovely but my chicken and vegetables were swimming in oil and was actually quite expensive for what it was, and my partner's steak was fatty but he said it was responsibly prices but was not overwhelmed by the food. We only decided to have mains as we did not want to wait AGAIN for dessert or additional food. Service is definitely lacking, and although the staff were definitely all under 25, that is not the factor here but actually hospitality training is in need as I am of the same age and work in the same industry - they all seemed lovely, but attentiveness is definitely needed. It wasn't until we had paid that the lovely girl who had seated us had apologised for the wait.

Won't be coming back again, for food anyway. I live very close to the village, and it seems as though the pub is run for the best interests of the share holders who are residents of the village, and not for catering for as many people as possible. You can do "fine dining" whilst having pub-style food, but for what's available and the prices that they're at its definitely a shame because it's the nearest pub to me but I'd rather travel much further for the sake of good pub food that isn't trying to be something it isn't. Thoroughly disappointed, won't be returning

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank Penguin-Koala

Hello Anna,

I am so disheartened to read that you have not enjoyed your last visit with us!

Since your last visit, we have had a local chalk artist in to design us a lovely "please wait to be greeted and seated sign" above the entrance to our open plan restaurant in the hope that it helps our guests know where to wait to avoid delay when the bar area is busy!

We are due to change our menu's again (as we change them seasonally) in March to our spring menu, which will naturally involve a full staff training day for all current and new staff, so I would love it if you came back to give us a second chance when our new menu launches so that we can prove (as 90% of our reviews being 5* show) that this is not our usual standard of service!

Apologies again,

Reviewed January 5, 2020

My wife and I decided to take our daughter (who is home from Uni) for Sunday Lunch. We had been to this place before and, to be fair, the service was very slow on the first occasion. The excuse then was that they had only once cook in the kitchen. Well, these things happen so we cut them some slack and the food was good. On this occasion we expected that whatever the problem had been back in September, it would have been rectified by now. Unfortunately, we were wrong. Only half the tables were occupied, yet despite this it took two hours for them to serve two courses of what was basically carvery fair. We would have loved to stay for dessert but after waiting far too long (like the other customers) for both our starters and main courses we had simply lost interest. The food was fine, but it was quite plain fair, and there are plenty of other country pubs we could have chosen. There seemed to be no Maitre D'Hotel, in fact no one acting like they had any responsibility at all. There were three people serving (across five occupied tables) and we had to ask for the bill while one of them breezed around and the other two sat and ate their dinner! It's a nice pub with such potential, but it is going to sink without trace unless the owner puts a proper manager in there.

Date of visit: January 2020
RestaurantBA, Manager at The Butchers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2020

Hello BillP1812,

I am so disheartened to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to The Butchers Arms on Sunday. As you can see from the reviews below, your experience falls well below our usually high standard's!

Therefor, I would be grateful if you would reach out to me via email so that we may organise a time and date mutually suitable for you to return, when I can personally take care of your visit as I was unfortunately absent on the day of your previous one..

My email address is restaurant@thebutchersarms.pub

Please accept our appolagies and I look forward to hearing from you soon..

Restaurant manager