“Great improvements”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wellingborough
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great improvements”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This Hotel and restaurant have taken great strides forward! We enjoyed a great meal in a really nice ambiance, The room was recently renovated and was spacious and well laid out. staff were frendly and very reasonable prices too! well done to them all!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Northampton
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Having only paid £55 for a double room with breakfast I guess my expectations shouldn't have been too high - and I wasn't disappointed! The Hind Hotel is a beautiful old-world listed building but is, quite simply, just old. There is so much unrealised potential in this building it's a shame it hasn't been capitalised on. However, this review is not about interior design, it's about its operation. Our room was on the top floor and was a reasonable size with a feature beam. The bathroom was small and there was evidence of mould around the washbasin and bath but it wasn't overtly dirty. The bed, however, was less than comfortable with a cheap spring mattress that transmitted every movement to the other side - the first obstacle to a good night's sleep. The second obstacle was the fact that the room overlooked a busy road and entertainment area - and it was Saturday night - so, if you wanted any fresh air (there was no air-con) you had to open the window and suffer the noise. Both of those, however, paled into insignificance compared with the fact that our room (215) was next to the entrance door to the staff lodgings and every time someone went through it, the door banged right through our headboard. Having overcome a very heavy cold and the noise outside (no mean feat) I was awoken from my slumbers at least three times by this banging door! Having had very little sleep, I was looking forward to a revitalising shower in the morning. 15 minutes later, there was no sign of even warm water, let alone hot and, not wanting my cold to turn into pneumonia, I gave up and had a strip wash - still in cold water. During this time, I left the shower running in the vain hope it would eventually warm up enough for my partner - which it finally did, nearly 30 minutes after being turned on! Breakfast didn't start well either. We arrived downstairs bang on 08.00 (the time we were told breakfast started) to find the hot offering hadn't appeared, our table was not completely laid up and, when I sat down with some tinned mandarins there was a creature crawling across them! Having discarded them, I picked up a yoghurt which was thin and tasteless. Everything on the serving table came out of a tin or a packet and there was no sign of the fresh fruit or the cheese and ham offered on the printed menu - although we were invited to ask for anything that wasn't out. To be fair, the hot offering was very tasty (with the exception of the cheap watery baked beans) but I couldn't get the creature out of my mind and didn't really enjoy it. There was one other minor annoyance that would have remained simply annoying if it hadn't been on top of everything else and that was flat batteries in the TV remote control. Our experience was so awful, we were given 50% off our bill - I would much rather have had a good stay.

Room Tip: 1) Even if you are, like us, attending an event at the (very) nearby The Barn, treat yourself to a t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cm9cm9
suffolk
Reviewed September 13, 2013

arrived and had real difficulty finding the car park, signage needs to be improved as its one way system and a nightmare. once i got parked i was checked in efficiently and offered help with bags as room on top floor. room was big and had everything i needed, it wasn't luxurious but bed and pillows very comfortable, loads of hot water and when i had a problem with the electric quick response from Hollie on reception and the maintenance guy who sorted the issue straight away. disappointed that only food on offer was mexican, but this gave me the opportunity to eat at pub down the road ye olde lion, absolutely superb i will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: smoking rooms are available but its a long way up
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chatel, France
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Hind hotel in Wellingborough is quite possibly the poorest hotel I've ever stayed in. Whilst the building from the outside is a lovely listed building and the lower hallway and the breakfast room is also very nice. Once you ascend the stairs it is a whole different matter! The hallways and corridors smell of damp and the plaster is hanging from the walls. in some areas so bad there a bed sheets drawing pinned up with a notice saying the management apologises. the room was threadbare and also smelled of damp while the outer bed clothes had a clammy feel for the same reason. The bathroom was old but clean however the cold tap did not work on the shower so the water was so hot you could not actually stand under it! at £45 per night I would not be back as this is not good value. where as I stayed a second night in another hotel where I paid 32 euros and it felt like the ritz by comparison! having said all of this with regard to the state of the building the desk staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Use another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MikeW940
March, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a spacious single room for one night with a large ensuite at a wedding there. Staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast plentiful. Beautiful historic building in need of quite a bit of updating and tlc. Room spotless but very dated. Bed comfortable but only one pillow. Noise from car park and air con unit kept me awake (room at back). Parking limited. Very good value for the price though. Would def stay again. Will be amazing when updated.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We didn't actually stay here but we were in desperate need of a room for the night after having to leave the Canberra guest house due to poor conditions. The lady on reception I think her name was Holly, was excellent. She did her best to get us a good deal as we were so desperate. She showed us to rooms and we were going to take room 201 which was a really good size for 2 adults and 2 children but at the last minute got a call to say that we had somewhere else where we could stay. I felt really bad because she was such a great help. I would definitely recommend on the basis of their excellent customer service.

• Stayed July 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We needed a hotel for a one night stay and wanted somewhere with more history and character than the big chains offer. The family room we booked was perfectly comfortable and had some character. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Nice 'cooked to order' breakfast. Parking not that easy unless patrons considerate and don't take up two spaces. Unfortunately the bar was being renovated the night we were there so can't comment on that - but nice ploughman's served in the little lounge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellingborough
Ibis Wellingborough
#1 of 1 in Ecton
Barton Hall Hotel
Barton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barton Seagrave

Been to The Hind Hotel? Share your experiences!