The Hind Hotel
$123
$108
$78
TripAdvisor
Barton Hall Hotel(Barton Seagrave)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsafternoon teaold buildingmiddle of townwedding receptionlots of charactersunday lunchpriest holeformer glorybeautiful buildingthemed weekendhistoric hotelnew ownersoliver cromwellwedding partyfull english breakfastoverflow car parkcoaching inn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having spent just one night at the Hind for a reunion we were very disappointed with the workings of the place. The staff hurried us through our evening meal and removed the vegetables off the table before we had even finished. Pillows on the beds needed throwing out and replacing with new ones, the restaurant ran out of milk on Sunday morning so we had to borrow some off a fellow guest. On speaking with a very helpful receptionist, Harriet, we were told that the owners did not live on site and visited the hotel weekly, maybe if they spent nore time sorting out the problems the guests may be happier. We were given a discount on the price of the room, but I feel that if these problems are not addressed then the Hind will not survice these very difficult financial times which would be a great shame so please, please get your act together and make the place more welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank seashoresheil
Reviewed September 21, 2012

had a good nights sleep at the hotel, bar area recently refurbished, good breakfast, but bathroom small and public corridors and fire doors all need painting as they give really bad impression of the hotel. didn't have evening meal- the vegetarian offering was quorn sausages. overall really not bad for price

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank trud51
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed in the Hind because wanted a personal space after a family funeral . Having been brought up in Wellingborough where else would I go?
The hotel is a fascinating place with lots of good ghost tales ,some lovely features , stained glass,heavy beams etc
The room and beds were fine, firm and comfortable but the bathroom needed an update, cracked basin and the corridors felt a bit sad and shabby . Breakfast was fine, staff pleasant, so if you want a night spent in the hope of seeing Oliver Cromwell's ghost and savouring local history then why not .
After all there are plenty of smarter, more soulless places around if this doesn't suit you

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank beaam
Hindhotel, Manager at The Hind Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Hind hotel, we take all guest comments, good or bad, very seriously.
The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme of its bedrooms and bathrooms and the corridors will be done in the new year.
The Hind does have lots of character, however I have yet to see a ghost!!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
D. Gear- General Manager

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The Hind is a nice old building and more or less the only hotel in the area, thus I stayed here when needing a room in Wellingborough.
The decor is dated and tired, which quite frankly was expected. I was not expecting the wallpaper to be hanging off and the bath enamel to be chipped and flaking and the bathroom mirror to be losing the war with rust however, and though clean, this gave my room a distinctly unpleasant feel.
The bed was uncomfortable and the curtains didn't close properly so the room was impossible to get dark when I wanted to sleep.
I ordered room service which was very low in price and whilst not exciting was honest, tasty food.
I was a little disappointed that when I realised that I had left a watch in the room and called to ask them to post it to me they said quite flatly "no", despite offering to pay.
All in all The Hind is an okay place to sleep if you need a room in Wellingborough, but the fact that they have big posters up advertising their wedding packages does make me feel a little sad for those who make use of this service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Hindhotel, Manager at The Hind Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for your comments which we take very seriously. I am sorry we refused to return your watch, if you could call me or e-mail to confirm your name and address I will check that we have your watch and send it back to you, as is our usual policy.
We are currently undergoing a complete re-decorating programme of all our bedrooms, they also all have new beds.
We hope to see you on your next visit to Wellingborough, to be able to re-instate our good name.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed here for five nights
the staff were mixed characters, some were very nice - including the woman with blond hair on at mornings, and the czech night porter! however the manager who i met for this first time on the fifth day, was an extremely rude person, who barked at me for no leaving the key at the desk, despite the fact i explained i had not once in the 4 days i stayed there nobody had mentioned anything about the key being left at the desk.
it wasnt an issue, but i didnt appreciate being barked at or being made to feel like i was purposely transgressing the hotel rules!

Also i feel scammed, because i was told room was 48 quid (i didnt realise the 8 quid was for breakfast as nobody mentioned it), the next morning when i said i wasnt having breakfast i was told `we cant refund it as its already been put through`.. put through what? the person at the desk clearly saw i didnt have breakfast, and that i stayed the other 4 nights and didnt pay for breakfast or touch breakfast, so yes, i feel like they robbed me.. charged me for a service i didnt recieve.

The hotel inside is really creeky, if you are at the end of the passage way there are endless steps after steps, and constant passage ways draging on and on and on.

Also the rooms are scorching hot in the weather,and i was told the first day there wasnt a fan, and finally i got one on the fourth day, by a cleaner whod gone into my room to do room service DESPITE THE FACT I HAD A SIGN ON MY DOOR SAYING ROOM SERVICE NOT NEEDED.
yes i know my room may have been a mess, but i was going to take it out and clean it myself before i left, so why the cleaner ignored the sign i dont know.

Im not happy i feel like i stayed for the good part of a week and got showed no appreciation or anything, there was nothing friendly no feeling of `happy to see a regular customer`, and rest assured i will not be staying there again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank c b
Hindhotel, Manager at The Hind Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Thank you for your comments, we treat all comments very seriously. Your booking was initially for just 1 night, we quoted £48.00 bed and breakfast, which you paid for. The next day you said you wanted to stay another night and that you didn't require breakfast, your rate was reduced to £40.00 room only, this was the case for the next 3 mornings where you asked if you could stay another night and came and paid your £40.00 each time. On the monday morning, after paying for that night, you asked for a fan as you said you were quite hot in your room, although you were wearing quite a thick overcoat. As you were then going out I asked that you would leave your key as is the hotel policy for health and fire safety reasons, I did apologise that you had not been made aware of this when you checked in. I organised that housekeeping put a fan in your room and let them know that you had gone out so that they could service your room. Whilst I have noted that you had left the sign on your door saying that the room didn't need servicing, unfortunately, on occasions guests do forget to take the sign off when they go out.
We do have creaky floor boards, which we like to think adds to the character as the Hind Hotel is over 400 years old.