The Hind Hotel
  • Restaurant
Ibis Wellingborough(Wellingborough)
Woodlands Lodge(Northampton)
View Hotel
All reviewsafternoon teaold buildingmiddle of townwedding receptionlots of charactersunday lunchpriest holeformer glorybeautiful buildingthemed weekendhistoric hotelnew ownersoliver cromwellwedding partyfull english breakfastoverflow car parkcoaching inn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The Hind is a nice old building and more or less the only hotel in the area, thus I stayed here when needing a room in Wellingborough.
The decor is dated and tired, which quite frankly was expected. I was not expecting the wallpaper to be hanging off and the bath enamel to be chipped and flaking and the bathroom mirror to be losing the war with rust however, and though clean, this gave my room a distinctly unpleasant feel.
The bed was uncomfortable and the curtains didn't close properly so the room was impossible to get dark when I wanted to sleep.
I ordered room service which was very low in price and whilst not exciting was honest, tasty food.
I was a little disappointed that when I realised that I had left a watch in the room and called to ask them to post it to me they said quite flatly "no", despite offering to pay.
All in all The Hind is an okay place to sleep if you need a room in Wellingborough, but the fact that they have big posters up advertising their wedding packages does make me feel a little sad for those who make use of this service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Hindhotel, Manager at The Hind Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for your comments which we take very seriously. I am sorry we refused to return your watch, if you could call me or e-mail to confirm your name and address I will check that we have your watch and send it back to you, as is our usual policy.
We are currently undergoing a complete re-decorating programme of all our bedrooms, they also all have new beds.
We hope to see you on your next visit to Wellingborough, to be able to re-instate our good name.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed here for five nights
the staff were mixed characters, some were very nice - including the woman with blond hair on at mornings, and the czech night porter! however the manager who i met for this first time on the fifth day, was an extremely rude person, who barked at me for no leaving the key at the desk, despite the fact i explained i had not once in the 4 days i stayed there nobody had mentioned anything about the key being left at the desk.
it wasnt an issue, but i didnt appreciate being barked at or being made to feel like i was purposely transgressing the hotel rules!

Also i feel scammed, because i was told room was 48 quid (i didnt realise the 8 quid was for breakfast as nobody mentioned it), the next morning when i said i wasnt having breakfast i was told `we cant refund it as its already been put through`.. put through what? the person at the desk clearly saw i didnt have breakfast, and that i stayed the other 4 nights and didnt pay for breakfast or touch breakfast, so yes, i feel like they robbed me.. charged me for a service i didnt recieve.

The hotel inside is really creeky, if you are at the end of the passage way there are endless steps after steps, and constant passage ways draging on and on and on.

Also the rooms are scorching hot in the weather,and i was told the first day there wasnt a fan, and finally i got one on the fourth day, by a cleaner whod gone into my room to do room service DESPITE THE FACT I HAD A SIGN ON MY DOOR SAYING ROOM SERVICE NOT NEEDED.
yes i know my room may have been a mess, but i was going to take it out and clean it myself before i left, so why the cleaner ignored the sign i dont know.

Im not happy i feel like i stayed for the good part of a week and got showed no appreciation or anything, there was nothing friendly no feeling of `happy to see a regular customer`, and rest assured i will not be staying there again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank c b
Hindhotel, Manager at The Hind Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Thank you for your comments, we treat all comments very seriously. Your booking was initially for just 1 night, we quoted £48.00 bed and breakfast, which you paid for. The next day you said you wanted to stay another night and that you didn't require breakfast, your rate was reduced to £40.00 room only, this was the case for the next 3 mornings where you asked if you could stay another night and came and paid your £40.00 each time. On the monday morning, after paying for that night, you asked for a fan as you said you were quite hot in your room, although you were wearing quite a thick overcoat. As you were then going out I asked that you would leave your key as is the hotel policy for health and fire safety reasons, I did apologise that you had not been made aware of this when you checked in. I organised that housekeeping put a fan in your room and let them know that you had gone out so that they could service your room. Whilst I have noted that you had left the sign on your door saying that the room didn't need servicing, unfortunately, on occasions guests do forget to take the sign off when they go out.
We do have creaky floor boards, which we like to think adds to the character as the Hind Hotel is over 400 years old.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our family recently spent 3 weeks in Europe. We stayed at The Hind for 6 days at the end of June to be near family. Although you'll never mistake this hotel for a 5 star resort, we were extremely pleased with our stay. We are a family of 4 with two teenage kids. The room was large compared to others we stayed at in Paris, London, Edinburgh, and Dublin. Yes, the rooms have some minor issues, but we expected it due to the age of the place. The staff was friendly and helpful. If you go with the expectation that this hotel is comparable to a chain hotel, you will most likely be disappointed; however if you want charm, history, convenience, character, and a great staff I highly recommend The Hind.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Matt D
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is smelly, old and tired it needs a wrecking ball more than a make over!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed here recently overnight for business, and really wish I hadn't. Whilst it is very economical, this is clearly reflected in the faded, tatty room furnishings. From outside, the building has a lot of character and history, but it is a shame it is let down so much inside.

Breakfast is average, but I would certainly not pay £10 for the privilege again.

The bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable, and the windows were so old and overprainted that they didn't shut properly. Not exactly secure.

I only stayed here because of its location to my office, and I will ensure that the next time I drive an extra half an hour and stay somewhere better!

• Stayed: June 2012