“Didn't enjoy it at all!”
Review of Ken's Diner - CLOSED

Ken's Diner
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We visited Kens Diner thinking that our two young children would enjoy the Limo and American diner experience. But I'm afraid I have to agree with lots of the comments on here. The diner is not great. First of all it was very cold, I kept my jacket on the whole time & the toilets were absolutely freezing! The lady who served us, was polite and attentive. However, I was slightly put off by being able to see the young guy cooking in his hoody & cap, doesn't look very professional or hygienic. It certainly looked as if the young lad had just popped in, not that he was a trained chef in which case he should be wearing Chefs whites. Seeing food being taken from the freezer and popped in to the deep fat fryer was also not at all appealing! There is nothing American about the food, it's nothing more than what you have in your fridge/freezer at home. I was expecting homemade burgers & home fries with an American twist. Not a batch of frozen food, deep fried and served up in a basket. The menu's also need re printing as showing that you have put your prices up by putting a sticker over looks very shoddy. Also when we left all smelt of deep fat fryers, that really was awful. Leaving a Trip Advisor review is NOT about being Faceless. It is the place where people leave there honest opinion. If you do things well, people will sing it from the roof tops, but sadly when food establishments don't get things right, it's a place you go to share your experience. After all, you are relying on the general public to support your business, so you really should try and take on board the comments to improve the areas that people are not happy with. Mrs Seamarks Kettering

7  Thank EnglandNms
Debbie T, Owner at Ken's Diner, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit.

We are now moving the cooking area into a seperate room as it seems no matter how we improve the extraction over the cooking area as it is an open kitchen we will always get a smell and feel of grease. So moving it to a completely seperate area will stop the problem.

The chef now wears chef blacks. What you wear doesn't automatically give you qualifications. The time the chef spent in college gave him the qualifications. We were trying to go with the casual look as we feel the diner is a casual place to meet. We never thought people would not be happy with the chef not wearing what they considered to be the correct attire. We have now given in to customers ideas and made him wear chef blacks.

You said you expected the food to have an American twist. We are always interested in peoples ideas about the food and if you could let us know what you mean about a twist it would help us maybe add things to the menu.

We do take on board what our customers say and that is why the diner is an ever changing place. I would just like to have a good conversation with someone face to face as all customers are asked if they enjoyed there visit. Then you get reviews on trip advisor. Which we have sadly found also gives other places to eat a forum to slate us and yes we do know that some bad reviews have been written by other places.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Having visited numerous American Style Diners, Kens I am afraid is falling short of the description. Putting a limo and some signs up does not a diner make. Try OK Diner on A1 near Stamford you will get more of a taste.

Egg and Bacon hot roll -- very pale underdone and very fatty bacon ----- American Diners use streaky bacon and cook it almost to crispy on the griddle --- Yummy.

American style breakfast should be pancakes with syrup, several rashers of crispy bacon and eggs sunny side up ----- Kens anemic sausages, with egg (singular), tomatos and deep fried bits of potato is not the ticket. Kens do a breakfast of pancakes with rasher (singular) of bacon and no egg Hmmm where would you go?

The temperature outside near to freezing temperature inside only just a little warmer not at all comfortable. We were there around 11.00 so not a case of heating not having time to warm the place up. We walked in and no one welcomed you, we had to ask for menus at the counter. Then we had to go to the counter to order ------ How British certainly not American Diner experience where you ar e greeted, seated and almost chased for your order. The Free refill of coffee is supposed to be as you finish the first cup not as you are ready to leave the place. Food served on cold plates so the barely hot food cooled even quicker in the cold atmosphere.

Sorry but even being only a few miles up the road I will not be hurrying back until I see or hear better of the place.

5  Thank Andy Y
Debbie T, Owner at Ken's Diner, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for your review. You mentioned the Ok diner on A1 being more authentic, are you sure all their 'made in China' posters make it authentic compared to our genuine American memorabilia?

We offer our diners streaky bacon or back bacon, if this did not happen on your visit I do apologise. If you wished your bacon crispy, you have to tell us when you order we can not guess how you wish your bacon cooked same with eggs with pancakes, if you wanted eggs with pancakes ask, it's that simple really. We offer a waitress service and if you decided to come to counter to be served that was your choice as that's not how the diner runs. Yes it is cold in the diner and we are working on getting the heating working correctly but we do have heaters scattered about.

But once again Ifind it amazing that we ask all customers if everything is ok and people say noting but then leave a bad review on here. Why can't people speak face to face instead of being faceless on trip advisor

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Visited with family and friends, party of twelve. The diner was quiet when we arrived but soon got very busy. Everybody was served at the same time and the food was piping hot. My philly steak sandwich and fries were very good, prices. On a cold January evening, the heating was less than adequate.

Also could do with some better extraction in the kitchen area as everybody's clothing smelled strongly after we left.

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the food at the diner and we are working very hard to sort the heating out. We have doubled the extraction in the kitchen area but it seems we need to do more which we are working on at present.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

After hearing good things about Ken's from some mates, my girlfriend and I finally made the short journey from Kettering to Finedon to give it a try. We both chose the Philly Steak sandwich and I had the chilli cheese fries, followed by pancakes and maple syrup. To say I was satisfied was a massive understatement, the food was sublime, the service was spot on and I really thought it was an authentic American experience, the food and decor were very similar to a few places I've eaten at in the States. Will be going again very soon!

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to the diner and we look forward to your next visit

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I first visited when the diner first opened, had to wait nearly an hour for breakfast but it was worth the wait, the place was heaving at the time with lot's of complaints & people walking out. My breakfast was everything I had hoped for, the home fries were home made and fantastic & the price was reasonable.

I visited a few times after & things had settled down all was well.

I have found that now the home fries have been replaced with some kind of manufactured nugget that is foul to taste & the prices have shot up dramatically, watch out the prices on the website are different from what you pay at the diner.

Haven given up on the breakfasts I have visited several times for dinner but have never ordered a burger. The specials are good value & tasty but the fries are a real let down, paying £2.75 for cheese fries I expect cheese on them! I got fries tasting of old oil & a nasty sauce on top.

Would love to try a shake but they are way to expensive, the bottomless coffee seems like a good deal but you are rarely offered a second cup, you get one if you ask.

The service is always friendly, the surroundings are great but what could have been a great place is going down hill fast so I won't be going back.

Sorry

8  Thank wellies97

Thank you for your review. Our prices have not shot up dramatically unless 50p here and there is classed as dramatic.

If your home fries tasted that bad why not say something when at the diner or is it easier to be faceless on trip advisor? Many others like the home fries but you can't please everyone.

Our milkshakes are made with three scoops of ice cream and are in the same price as all other companies selling milkshakes. But if too expensive for you that's not our fault.

I do apologise if you didn't get your free refill but you only had to ask if you wanted your free refill, it's that easy to get one at the diner.