“Great play area, very rude staff”
Review of The Priory

The Priory
Ranked #67 of 138 Restaurants in Wellingborough
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The play area is actually really good for a pub. The food is mediocre, cheap and semi cheerful, more cheerful than the staff. The children play area staff were so rude it has put me off going back.

Reviewed May 11, 2018

On the way back home my husband and I thought we'd pop in for an early dinner, it was a reasonable evening, we were in no rush ...... I wish we'd kept on going

The order was simple

2 Starters, Nachos for 1 no guacamole and no sour cream & a Garlic Prawns and
for mains, an Ultimate Mixed Grill and Place and Chips.

Easy right??!! Sooo wrong!!

Our first surprise was when they brought out Garlic Pawns and a combo sharing platter; - the response when I said we didn't order this (the sharing platter) was 'it doesn't come with nachos anymore......'. This was followed by a blank face a momentary pause and an 'oh' when I reitterated that it was the nachos for one that was ordered

Ok honest mistake (kind of, but a forgivable one) and having been here before and having spent many years in the industry I knew it was just easier to say 'leave it, we'll take it' then wait another half an hour and probably with our mains before the right one came out. We didn't particularly enjoy it; the garlic bread was undercooked and the breaded mushrooms looked and tasted liked they'be been reheated from lunch; - the chicken breast on the platter was piping hot at least, but no flavour. Needless to say it wasn't long before we said we'd finished.

Trying to put this one behind us as an honnest mistake we thought at least the mains would be good, but I can honnestly say I can't remeber a worse meal.
The plaice was so overcooked it was almost cremated, I had trouble cutting into the breadcrumb crust and the fish inside was dry - I did try to eat it but didn't get far
The ultimate mix grill I'm afraid was worse, the chicken was way overcooked, the sausages well undercooked and I couldn't describe the state of the mushroom, tomato and onion rings that also made up the meal. the one good thing was the steak was cooked pretty much to perfection, shame there wasn't more of it.

Having half eaten our way though not half of the meal we decidied enough was enough and it was better just to pay and leave. Having not had a courtoesy check, (I think they knew when they brought the food out) we thought at least they would asked how our meal was when we paid, and we could flag our concerns then......Wrong not once through the young mans attempt to make poilte conversation did he ask us;

Needless to say that we won't be back.; it cost us £42 for the privelidge of not eating. and for all those synics who say, "you should have said something"......I know, but that's our misfortune, just make sure you don't make the same mistake

General Manager A, Manager at The Priory, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2018

Cornflake1981, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We regret that you had a negative experience, and will use this as an opportunity to improve.

Reviewed May 4, 2018 via mobile

I sneak in now and then for a cheeky breakfast buffet. Very good value. Sausages are surprisingly good, not the deep fried chippy ones. Good texture and flavour and not aneamic looking. Bacon good. Tinned toms a bit mushy.

Psynurse74, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Priory, Wellingborough!

Reviewed April 16, 2018 via mobile

it cheap and cheerful nothing special i guess fresh food is long gone apart from the amazingly difficult salad hedge on plates.
im not complaining but its just an average joe place.

General Manager A, Manager at The Priory, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2018

Thank you for your review Night O, The Priory

Reviewed April 12, 2018

Acting on advice I went here for an evening meal, i was not disappointed, the food was really tasty and hot. Yes there was a a fair amount of noise and a delay of around 20 min for the food to arrive due to the large number of people, but this was acceptable. The staff were friendly and did their utmost to help everyone. Will visit here again.

General Manager A, Manager at The Priory, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2018

Lennie60, we strive for 100% satisfaction, and it is great to see you had such a positive experience at Priory, Wellingborough.