“Very good experience”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wellingborough
Canberra Guest House
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at the Canberra guest house for a weekend recently with a couple of friends. We were all very impressed by the quality of the rooms and the overall service that we received.

We were made to feel very welcome both before and during our stay there. This guest house has a nice, friendly atmosphere and is good value for money considering the facilities that are available for use. The location is perfect being near the main railway station and a short walk away from the town centre as well in the other direction.

Breakfast was provided as self-service, this meant we could get up earlier then usual each day and was also very convenient.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have a slightly better view over a nearby park however not much difference.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Canberra Guest House

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I needed a room in Wellingborough to stay at while attending a friends wedding.
The Canberra guest house was well located close to the station which is why I chose it.
Before arriving I had to phone again to reconfirm as the proprietor hadn't replied to my email. Communication was limited.
When we arrived I was surprised to see white dog hairs everywhere. This was because of the owners dog! It was not a clean guest house. Carpets, curtains, bedcovers and the communal kitchen, toilets and shower room were all dirty. At least the bedsheets were clean.
However, I didn't feel ripped off. A double cost £46pn and a single £26pn. The cheapest I've paid for a nights accommodation in the UK since I went Youth Hostling in my teens. You get what you pay for. If you want a cheap room and don't mind some dirt stay here, otherwise stay away!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank RWebley
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I chose this guesthouse because it had good reviews. However, when we got there we were appalled to find dog hairs and dirt on the carpet. Cobwebs in the bedroom between the chester draw and wall. The fridge was over packed and was dirty. The cooker handles and surface was dirty as was the microwave. Now I came here with my mum and 2 of my children ages 3 and 18 months. Now kids being kids like to play around on the floor and there was no way I could let my children play about in the room because the carpet was so dirty. Sally although she was very accommodating didn't seem to see this. We were unprepared to stay there and asked for our money back of which it wasn't all as she had gone and done some shopping. We paid £42 and got back £35. But I didn't make a fuss. There was even dust and crumbs were the cereal boxes and glasses were. We had the family room and was told that it was due to be decorated but it didn't excuse it being dirty. I definitely wouldn't advise anyone to stay here especially with children. This was such an inconvenience for us because I went on the reviews that was on here. But if you are particular about hygiene then this is not the place for you!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Marie J
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I grew up in the area and travel from Wales 2 or 3 times a year to visit . Sally the owner is fantastic and nothing is too much trouble . Prices are very good too and I ll always stay here when visiting . I'd recommend this guest house to anyone who comes to Wellingborough .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank chrisingram60
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed here for about a week , and can,t thank Sally enough for her kindness and hospitality.

I paid £27 a night for a clean and comfy room, it was quiet and it has everything you could want.
A kitchen to cook if you so wish, a dining room and breakfast, is thrown in for free.
It has a real personal and homely feel, and nothing is too much touble for Sally, ask and she,ll do her best to help. It,s no co-incidence that some guest in the past have become her good friends and I for one will be as well.
A real hidden gem, i,m sad to be leaving, but I would deffo come back if in area..without any hesitation.
Honestly guys give it a go , you won,t be disappointed, it is money well spent for me!!
Thanks a lot Sally..best of luck for the future, you deserve eery success

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I booked 3 months in advance as we were visiting the area for a friend's wedding. I had a long conversation with the lady who runs the B&B and was advised all was confirmed and no deposit was required. I rang to advise the B&B of my arrival time and I was told they had no record of my booking. This left me in a difficult position as many of the other hotelsin the are were fully booked. If you are booking here ask for an email confirmation, I wish I had.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I moved to this hotel after a very bad experience with another hotel! I have now been here nearly a month with my work and I couldn't fault the place! Sally (the manager) lives on site and is absolutely lovely! The rooms, bathrooms, showers are all spotless. There is a shared kitchen with fridge freezer, cooker, microwave etc and dining room which again is surprisingly clean and useful! Mainly people there away from home with work and can be quite social in the kitchen and dining areas. Breakfast is included with many cereals, bread, milk, orange juice etc.

I work away from home a lot and stay in a lot of hotels, I have to say, this has probably been the closest to being at home as it gets.

I am about to finish my contract and move on to another area, I really hope I find somewhere like this place again!

I would recommend this place to anyone that has to go to Wellingborough! its within 5 mins from the station and about another 5 to the town centre.

Could do with Wi-Fi!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Bunglebear78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellingborough
The Hind Hotel
#1 of 28 in Northampton
Northampton Marriott Hotel
Northampton Marriott Hotel
#6 of 28 in Northampton

Been to Canberra Guest House? Share your experiences!