“Not as good as it used to be, sadly...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Oswalds Restaurant with Rooms - CLOSED

Oswalds Restaurant with Rooms
Cuisines: British, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We offer fantastic freshly made Italian food both from our kitchen and the wood fired oven in the restaurant. Our pizzas are made using home made dough and the finest italian ingredients mixed with the best local produce. They are simply fantastic. Fresh seafood is almost always available and seasonal game and the finest Yorkshire ingredients.
Easingwold, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be, sadly...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We used to live in Thirsk and have been to Oswalds on previous ocassions, the last time being around 7 years ago, I think. We were always impressed with the food there. We decided to try it again last weekend for my wife's birthday.

The place still has a nice ambience and obviously attracts the affluent set of North Yorkshire, judging by the selection of Range Rovers and Mercs in the car park. The stone floors and solid wooden furniture speak of a desire to be seen as classy. The bar area has studded leather sofas and a specials menu written neatly on a large blackboard. The staff were friendly and helfpul.

Then it came to the food itself, which is why we went after all. There was no suckling pig this time...a dish that blew me away on my last visit. Hey ho, menus change, I guess. My starter was good - scallops in a creamy leek and bacon sauce with a herby crust. My main course was a bit of a letdown, I'm afraid. The rib-eye steak, whilst cooked reasonably well, was stringy and at times chewy. Three others in our party had the steak and remarked on this. My roasted vegetables were soggy and bland.

Then it was time for desserts. I skipped, but my wife and mother both ordered things and neither were very impressed with the offerings. My mother's brownie and marshmallow sundae was underwhelming and very basic, whilst my wife's panna cotta was overpowered by very sour raspberries.

To top it all off, our bill came with several drinks that we hadn't even had. They corrected it without fuss, but I'm glad we took the trouble to check.

So we left feeling a little deflated. It hadn't met the standards we had expected from previous visits. Cosmetically speaking, the restaurant is still pleasant, with nice decor, staff and well-presented dishes. I just feel there has been a little loss of focus on food quality.

• Visited May 2013

Melrose, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best in Thirsk by far!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed 2nights here and unfortunately only ate once! Our meal was super! We had eaten at a very expensive eatery in Dishforth the first night and had dinner at Oswalds the second. Our meal at the Crab and Lobster was overpriced and compared to our steak at Oswalds, no comparison.
Top marks to the chef and staff at Oswalds!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank sandysan0189
oswalds04, General Manager at Oswalds Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience here at Oswalds.
We are very proud of Mat and his team in the kitchen, the Early Bird Menu aswell as the Ala Carte Menu are changed frequently so that there are always new dishes to try.
We do hope that you will come back and visit us in the future.
Best wishes

Julie Marshall
Manager
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I wouldn't go anywhere else in Thirsk for Dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed in Thirsk for two night for the Super Skills course. The first night we went in to the main town for dinner and most places looked dull and dreary. Lazily we settled for Chinese at Hung Moey (??) It sucked. It stank. The food was overpriced take away. And both our dishes tasted the same.

On the second night our lovely hosts at Laburnun House (BEST B&B EVER!) suggested we go for a walk over to Oswalds. (BEST ADVICE EVER!) We made a reservation for the early bird late in the afternoon. When we arrived we ordered a pint and chilled out in the bar area by a fireplace on big comfy couches while our table was prepared. Then we were taken through to the restaurant area and sat at a big wooden table in a room with a huge skylight.
We wre initially going to have the three course menu for around £16 but we were so full from the first two courses we couldn't even think about desert. I had a brie and red pepper tart with a great little rocket and pesto-ish sauce and the other half had a yummy poached egg, black pudding and ham dish. We both went for the roast chicken main. Couldn't fault any of it.

We loved it!

• Visited April 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review on Oswalds.
I am very happy you enjoyed your meal with us, I will of course pass your kind words onto our team in the kitchen aswell as our front of house staff.
Best wishes

Julie Marshall
Manager
North Yorkshire
“Lovely Sunday Lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Lovely menu, great value for money, will definitely go back. Only criticism would be the atmosphere which would probably have been better had it been a little busier! After hearing people say how good it is there lately, we were expecting it to be packed out. Staff were attentive and friendly.

• Visited April 2013
York, United Kingdom
“A local treasure on the way up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have eaten at Oswalds several times recently - both for Sunday lunch with my family and with a group of friends. I was pleasantly surprised by the superb quality of the food (under previous owners it was hit and miss), excellent value and easily the best place to eat in Thirsk for quality. Sunday lunch was particularly good value - we went for Mothers Day at my son's request (he loves the Yorkshire Puddings there). The only downside is it can be lacking in atmosphere sometimes if its not that busy but overall, a big thumbs up for the new owners and staff.

• Visited March 2013