“Cold plates. Ughhhhh”

Oswalds Restaurant with Rooms
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We offer fantastic freshly made Italian food both from our kitchen and the wood fired oven in the restaurant. Our pizzas are made using home made dough and the finest italian ingredients mixed with the best local produce. They are simply fantastic. Fresh seafood is almost always available and seasonal game and the finest Yorkshire ingredients.
North Yorkshire, England.
“Cold plates. Ughhhhh”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We visited on a Saturday evening as guests of friends and the restraunt was extremely busy with a collection of yuppy type loud people. As it was our first visit and our hosts were not recognised by the managers and staff we were virtually ignorred. I had scallops in grewer cheese as a starter. This was a complete waste of good scallops as they were served on a cold plate and totally immersed in a mass of indigestible glutinous cheese, which as the plate was cold had set solid aroud the scallops. I don't remember my main course, so clearly it was nothing particularly enjoyable. After leaving the restraunt my wife expressed the view that the restraunt probably had been good and is now resting on it's laurels, catering to people with no taste or finess, who just like to be seen in the "right" place.

oswalds04, Manager at Oswalds Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your review, it is always positive to receive feedback good and bad. I would question the date of your visit to Oswalds however, as the dish you describe - Scallops with Gruyère cheese; has not appeared on the menu for at least a year and when it did, it was served baked in the scallop shell and so the temperature of the plate beneath would not be an issue.
It is unfortunate timing for us that your review now makes us appear aloof and unable to perform the most basic tasks when we have spent the last year re-building the business after a change of ownership, management and kitchen brigade.
I hope you will take the time to visit us at Oswalds again as we do get it right most of the time and we listen when we don't, I can assure you we would never serve hot food on a cold plate,
Once again thank you for your review.
Darrell Burnham,

tadley
“very pleasant dining experience, lovely place”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Came here for an evening meal whilst away for the weekend. Found the place charming and full of character. The food was fresh, well cooked and presented. Mushroom Wellington was very good so was the creme brulee. Well worth a visit and I would definitely come back.

• Visited September 2012
Thank you so much for your review, it is always great to receive feedback and all the staff have enjoyed reading your great comments.
We are very proud of the food we produce and it is great to hear praise for our vegetarian offer as vegetarians are so often overlooked in restaurants.
I hope we can welcome you back to Oswalds very soon.
Darrell Burnham
Manager
“Why are they not packed out every nite,serving food of this quality at pub prices?”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is my first visit but won't be my last.
The rooms are of a very good standard,but the food is to die for.
How do they do it all for this price?

Thank you so much for your great review, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and especially our restaurant offer.
All the team work really hard to produce great food from local sources, freshly prepared in house, everything from the bread to the desserts is created by our kitchen team and it is great to know we are getting it right.
Once again thank you for your wonderful review, I hope we will see you again very soon.
Darrell Burnham
Manager
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent food at Oswalds”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

An innovative and interesting menu where the dishes lived up to their descriptions. Good value for money. Friendly and helpful staff added to the experience. Would recommend to anyone.

Visited October 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Excellent food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at a nearby B&B which recommended this restaurant. We were not disappointed: the menu had a broad selection and the food was excellent. We came early, and there were only 3 other tables occupied, so the service was excellent. We would eat here again and also recommend it to others.

• Visited October 2012