“Excellent value country pub, real wood burning stove!!”

Dog and Gun Knayton
Ranked #1 of 69 Restaurants in Thirsk
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A warm welcoming village pub set in the small village of Knayton near Thirsk, North Yorkshire. Here at the Dog and Gun we pride ourselves in home made traditional pub food as well as an extensive specials board. Fine wines and local ales also available.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Me and my husband recently visited this pub when out walking. We hadnt booked but the landlady was more than accomodating on a busy sunday afternoon and we got a lovely table for two near the fire which was lovely and warmed us up a treat! My husband was pleasantly surprised at the selection of 3 bitters and chose copper dragon which he enjoyed. We both opted for the sunday lunch menu which had 4 meats available. The food was beautiful!!! I opted for pork and my husband beef. The beef my husband said melted in the mouth and it indeed looked superb. Real yorkshire puddings and crisp roasties topped with a beautiful gravy. Following that we just had room for a delicious home made pudding. My husband went for the cheescake and I opted for the sticky toffee pudding and we wernt disappointed. Its good to see the place using local produce. Overall a lovely atmosphere especially for a busy sunday afternoon. Superb food and friendly service..we didnt want to leave!! We will definitely be back when next passing by.

1  Thank suegarroty27
There are newer reviews for Dog and Gun Knayton

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We have just had a 3 course meal with drinks for £54! Outstanding value for money!! The menu is great with a lot of choice. We enjoyed sitting on this cold winter night by the log burner, very cosy. Its a long time since we have been in a proper pub, where you are welcome to have a drink at the bar or sit down and have a meal. Too many gastro pubs in our area, serving basic food at unreasonable prices (steak chips and a bit of salad for 25quid without all the trimmings, you can't have steak without onion rings etc!!!).
My husband had duck and I steak pie, very delicious, the man sat near us had steak and we heard him say it was the best he had had for a very long time, the onion rings were massive, in fact he had given up on ordering steak when dining out, i think he will be back to dine again, like ourselves and can't wait to try the steak!!
Lovely helpful front of house team we will see you again soon.

1  Thank MBS2884
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I've been to the dog and gun twice now and experienced amazing food on both occasions, which for a vegetarian is rare at your usual pub! Extra effort was also made for my vegan friend, who normally gets stuck with chips! (With a little forewarning for the chef - a few days). The atmosphere is brilliant, a pub I will go back to again and again!

1  Thank Dufflio
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Brilliant food, great service and amazing value for money....will definitely be going back. Would highly reccomend to anyone.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We make regular trips to the Dog & Gun now as the food, service and value is outstanding. The menu boards change frequently but retain core values in terms of choice and balance, with many items home made by the resident chef. The front of house team are polite and eager to help and will often extend service if a short notice booking is received. A good selection of wines, beers and non alcoholic beverages are available and not badly priced considering location. Lunches are now also available which are at the same standard as evening meals; Sunday Dinners are superb, offering 2 or 3 course value options, or order off of the main board as well - I don't know how the chef manages it!!. Great pub grub at family prices, we haven't had a bad meal yet.

1  Thank RMCThirsk