“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of The Carlton Inn

The Carlton Inn
Ranked #10 of 68 Restaurants in Thirsk
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Used to be The Carlton Bore but has new owners and now the Carlton Inn
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This pub kinda just looks like a pub but the food really is a step up from that.
We were staying locally and decided to treat ourselves to a rare meal without the children courtesy of grandparents! We had a lovely time, good food, and we weren't waiting around for service (although the pub really wasn't busy that night).
I had the steak and ale pie, and the steak was deliciously tender. Very tasty. A lovely lemon posset to finish.
I would agree with one other review that the waitress can come across as a little offish - a lady of few words, I think. Although she did warm up a little by dessert. Having said that, my "hmm, I can't quite decide between the lemon posset or creme brûlée..." was met with silence. No attempt to help me decide at all. I wouldn't say rude, though, just not very chatty.

catterick
“A gem of a pub”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were staying in a local B&B and this was recommended by the owner. It is a real gem of a pub with good atmosphere, delicious food and friendly efficient service. The kitchen had no problem with gluten-free options and adapted what was on the menu to suit. We will be sure to return soon

York
“Fantastic”
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Visited on a Sunday night and it was busy, there was a large party in but there was nothing to worry about, we were served quickly and efficiently by friendly staff that were working so hard under pressure. The food here never disappoints, worth a drive out from York. Always family friendly as well, well done Jason and team, really enjoyed it.

Visited May 2014
York, United Kingdom
“SUPERB SERVICE & FOOD”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Third visit, this time with friends from the south. The food was good but the service was the best I have come across for a long, long time. The place was very busy, including a large party who had turned up an hour early, but the service was spot on. Will be back soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Visited twice in a few days. First with family for my 60th birthday. Staff were fantastic, great ambience and terrific food made it a very special evening. Al the courses ( and we must have eaten most of the menu) were terrific with my own special award to the Carlton Mess pudding.
So impressed we popped back as a couple for the Thursday steak night. Two courses and a glass of wine each for £30. Definitely one of the best stacks I have had in ages and again great food and service. And I nearly forgot the ale!! Terrific!!

Visited March 2014