“Lovely food”

The Watermill Bar and Grill
Ranked #42 of 70 Restaurants in Thirsk
Dining options: Reservations
Description: For a great experience both indoors and out, take a visit to the Watermill in Carlton Miniott, Thirsk, North Yorkshire The Watermill, with its peaceful setting and excellent menu is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a drink and a meal. It is a stylish place to meet up with friends and family, whatever the occasion. Indulge yourself in tranquillity, within beautiful surroundings where the sound of the gardens waterfall adds to the sense of relaxation. The open plan bar and conservatory allows a warm and friendly atmosphere to flow throughout the interior, with picturesque garden and water feature creating the same relaxed ambience outdoors.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Went with family for Sunday Lunch. Did not book but arrived on spec. It was full, but we could have a drink at the bar and get us a table of 4. Only had to wait 5 mins and then we went to table. However waitress did not 'set' table only cleaned it. We waited longer at the table for cutlerythan we did waiting for a table. However the sunday roast was superb. Choice of 3 meats and vast amount of veg including parsnips and giant yorkshire puddings, all cooked to perfection. I did think the meat was sliced ever so thin before put on plate, so could have been slightly thicker.
I was full after meal, so sis not have dessert, but my daughter did. Again long delay from waitress in bringing the menu, then returning to take order and bring food.
Would definitely return for Sunday lunch as the food was excellent, and I am sure they can improve on the service, especially if they are busy, a smile or apology goes a long way.
Fabulously clean toilets.
Beautiful setting if you were lucky to get a table overlooking the lake.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My family and I thought we would try the watermill after hearing it was under new management for Sunday dinner,wish we hadn't bothered.we were regulars under the old management very polite well manneredwaitresses and friendly owner.from the minute we walked in the whole friendly atmosphere had changed,the new owner was very impolite and made my wife feel very awkward as she felt she was been watched ,the usual friendly waiting staff was the same as before but the food standards had dropped.whoever was serving you at the carvery couldn't even be bothered to crack a smile and the selection was poor,whoever has sunday lunch without mash potatoe please tell me,my 3 yr old loves mash potatoe so was very disappointed.Sunday lunch was bad enough but the European girl to give us the hard sell on desserts i thought made us feel awkward,it worked I ordered desserts just to be polite even though we didn't really want any.Needless to say we will not be returning there and will not be recommending to friends nor my enemies,really bad experience.

2  Thank roasti
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We recently visited during a stay at the site. Tried restaurant first nite and food was stunning and good value, and subsequently visited again.We ate off the daily deal section which offered good prices aswell as excellent food

1  Thank Reilly585
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was our first and last visit and such a shame as it was my Husband`s birthday. He ordered a pint of Black Sheep which was served cloudy and another had to be brought later to the table. We asked to see the wine list and were very surprised at the prices, the least expensive was £16. My mushroom soup and bread £5 was excellent but I had to ask for butter which was served in packets. We both ordered chicken, mine, a breast with a diane sauce £10. The chicken was over cooked and the sauce had skin on top, obviously this had been warming somewhere. My Husband ordered chicken kiev £9 from the specials menu and very special it was! No evidence of garlic butter but stuffed with stringy cheese and again very dry and overcooked. This was served with skinny fries and nothing else as all extras were £3. We ordered coleslaw which came in a small ramekin dish. Most restaurants in this area serve good bowls of fresh vegetables with main meals At no time were we asked if everything was ok and there was a distinct lack of staff, only two to man the bar and serve.
Time and effort seems to have been spent on The Watermill but we will return to The Crosby and The Carlton Inn for better quality, service and value. A great pity as we want businesses in this area to do well but we would find it difficult to recommend The Watermill.

1  Thank anna f
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Can't really say a bad word.

Nice staff, nice food. Good night out for anniversary. The staff couldn't be more helpful.

1  Thank Love_2_eat_ne