“Excellent place to visit!”

World of James Herriot
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Thirsk
More attraction details
Owner description: You’ve probably read the books written by James Alfred Wight or watched “All Creatures Great and Small” on TV. Now come and see where James Herriot, the world’s most famous vet, lived, worked and relaxed. See his home and surgery in Thirsk; travel back in time to what life was like when James was a vet in Yorkshire. See the car he drove, step into the TV set, try your hand at being a vet and even experience what it was like to hide in a World War 2 air raid shelter!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We are a family of 6, 2 adults and 4 children. We visited on a Sunday and had a brilliant time, it took us about 2 and a half hours to go round. The museum was very interesting and we really loved the air raid shelter, the kitchen and the interactive part. There was a lot to do for children, ours were aged between 7 and 14 years - there was something for everyone to do. The mannequins were really life-like! The mock film studio was excellent, the children loved being on camera!! We had a picnic in the garden and there is an undercover area to eat too if the weather is poor. There are no cafe facilities but there is a coffee and snack machine. When you go, be sure to try on the horse's head!!!! Those that have visited will know what I mean!!
All in all a very good museum, well worth a visit!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"trip down memory lane"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I read James Herriot's first two books just before visiting The World of James Herriot in Thirsk on May 20, 2013. I have to say it exceeded our expectations. My wife has not read the books and was equally impressed as I. I am really glad we had time to see the "World" during our 2 night stay in a B&B.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Called into the muesum during a weekend visit to Thirsk and what a wonderful place it is to visit. Having seen some of the TV programmes I would not say that I am a great fan but the whole experience of visiting the muesum was most delightful and I would recommend a visit to anyone the area. My girlfriend is a nurse and she found the medical side of the visit to be most enjoyable. There is plenty of things to keep both young and old entertained and educated for several hours. The staff were most helpful and knowledgeable and the muesem is very well laid out and maintained.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I first visited over 5 years ago, and went again last week with some Australian relatives, as my uncle had read every single book, and we took him as a surprise. They have made lots of improvements, a studio with the original cameras from the TV series, you also appear on screen, and take a phone call from a farmer wishing a vet to attend, his old Austin car has been restored, the house is set out exactly as they all lived, the barn and the cellar, is so authentic, and Mrs Pumphrey too! The garden looks wonderful, and you could quite happily spend an entire day there. Lots of interactive things, very touch and feel place. You really felt as though you had woken up in one of his books! Is excellent for children too, lots of educational, fun and interactive things for them to do, I can't praise the place enough! The director was very helpful, as we bombarded him with questions, and we were delighted to be introduced to Alf Wight's daughter Rosie, that just made our magical day complete! Can highly recommend!!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 20, 2013

A look into the world of the real life James Herriot and his family. Great fans of the books and BBC TV series so that is why we made the trip to Thirsk. We were not disappointed. We appreciated the authenticity of the home and surgery which made us feel like we had stepped back in time. At any moment we expected the see "the vet" come walking around the corner. Displays and hands on exhibits were engaging and informative. The museum staff was friendly and helpful. We spent 3 hours in the museum as there was so much to see and do. Magic.

1  Thank Barbara G