“Not just an Attraction, they serve coffee and cakes too!”

The Courthouse (Rural Arts)
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Vibrant, family friendly venue with a cafe (selling homemade soup, quiche, cakes, refreshments etc) and shop/gallery stocked with a wide range of beautiful, individual and affordable ceramics, jewelry, textiles, cards, gifts and much more. We also offer a programme of arts workshops, exhibitions, events and performances for all ages and abilities.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Yorkshire UK
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Not just an Attraction, they serve coffee and cakes too!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Tripadvisor asks when I visited .... well more than once, and you will too.
Whether you're a local, or coming to Thirsk for a day out this is a great place to get a coffee, or meet up with friends for a chat. A quaint little cafe, with tasty scones, homemade cakes and quiche, soup etc. A good place to stop off on your way into or out of town, close to the cinema and Tesco. And it's a charity.
They also run training courses - tiles & jewellery making, and how to use your ipad!!. There is a gift shop in the hall where you can buy unique hand crafted items.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Harricobean
ruralarts, Manager at The Courthouse (Rural Arts), responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your review and your lovely comments. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to The Courthouse and we hope to meet you again soon.

Northeast10
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Culture, creativity and a cafe in the Country”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This place place is a very pleasant surprise. There's a really lovely gallery with plenty of high quality ceramics, paintings, prints, cards, textiles and jewellery, and it has a friendly cafe serving home cooked food, and lots of music and theatre events and art and craft workshops. If you're visiting the area, I'd recommend you see what's on.
I'm a regular visitor both to the events and cafe, and it's a rare treat in a rural location.
Highly recommended.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Northeast10
Thirsk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Lovely cafe and more”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Called in for coffee and cake the other day and really enjoyed it. Lovely gift area as well, some different gifts.

Thirsk
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“. A must if visiting Thirsk!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Great place for coffee & a cake - but also does wonderful home made soup. As a frequent visitor to Rural Arts, i have tried most of the menu & its all delicious! As well as the cafe theres Art work on display & to buy. Its also a music & training venue as well, its great to have this on our doorstep! As a local B+ B owner I tend to send my guests- particularly guests on their own as I know Becky & her staff are so friendly! I can only recommend the place- we locals love it!

north yorks
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Not Just a Cafe, Brilliant Performances,Hand Made Gifts, Good for Venues”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My friend and I own a bed and breakfast in Thirsk, and we are regulars to this fantastic place, the coffee and home made cakes are delicious, and they serve the best home made soup in town, every day the soup is different. Today Sue and I enjoyed the pea and watercress soup with chunky low gi brown bread. Last night we had a meeting for the London-Edinburgh Cycling Challenge. So please make a note this place is great for venues, drama, music and childrens shows. Also pick up a leaflet on the recent performances and the many creative work stations. I got to meet Becky the new cafe manager and I praised her on the brilliant work she had carried out in such a short time. All the staff are very friendly,the cafe has a lovely atmosphere and is colourful, makes me feel happy when I walk through the door. Nothing is too much trouble, I had a nice chat with Hannah, who served us with coffee and soup. So please call in you wont be disappointed, and browse at the lovely hand made items and cards and lots more. Well done to Janice and her lovely team.

Visited February 2013
ruralarts, Manager at The Courthouse (Rural Arts), responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your fantastic review Val. We are so pleased that you enjoy coming to The Courthouse and that you are such good supporters and advocates of the venue. Thanks too for promoting all the activities that take place within the building (our problem is that people are always aware of how much if on offer at The Courthouse). We really appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you and Sue again in the cafe. Kind regards Janice