Golden Fleece Hotel
$83
  • Breakfast included
$78
1,206 results
All reviewsdick turpinmews roomcoaching innlovely hotelmarket squarethe main hotelsuperior roomfour poster bedsunday nightenjoyable stayevening mealboth nightshigh standardsalmonlovely foodlast weekendbar area
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I stayed at the Golden Fleece Hotel last year when my partner surprised me with their Pamper Your Partner night, it was wonderful. They set my room up with truffles and flowers,
it was really cozy and quiet romantic.
The food was lovely and the dessert I had (chocolate marble cheesecake) was to die for.
I'd highly recommend it to anybody, some of my friends have already stayed and loved it.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Just returned from a very relaxing 2 night stay at the hotel after being highly recommended by friends. Our welcome was very warm, the staff were marvellous throughout. We were in a very spacious room which overlooked the market square. The mattress and pillows were extremely comfortable though the decor was a little tired. We were not disturbed by any outside noise.

The meals were very good - much better menu choice than we expected. Presentation of the food was excellent and we were not charged extra (on top of our dinner, B+B rate) for selecting steak. The dining room was very clean and romantic with good service - there was a lovely choice for breakfast including a large bowl of fresh fruit salad which was gorgeous.

North Yorkshire has many lovely sights to see, ie. Wetherby and Helmsley were beautiful with great shops. Do not expect a quaint village atmosphere at Thirsk. This taken into account we would definately stay there again.
Thanking the enthusiastic, professional staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank escapingfromwork
Reviewed May 10, 2007

We recently held a family party for eighteen people at the Golden Fleece. The hotel is charming and the level of service and general hospitality is exemplary.
The food, both in quality and quantity, is of a particularly high standard served by a very pleasant team of waitresses.
The bedrooms are large and comfortable in an "olde English" way. Our one reservation is that the rooms overlooking the square can be noisy early in the morning on market day.
Our main function on the Saturday night was organised to perfection by Joanne Grewcock, the hotel manager who, along with her staff paid meticulous attention to detail and are a credit to the industry.
Our stay proved to exceed our expectations and I consider it very good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank j8rma
Reviewed January 26, 2007

I've stayed here twice now - in Dec 2005 & Jan 2007. I love the place, mainly because I'm a big James Herriot fan and because I'm a native Yorkshireman and I love the genuine Yorkshire charm and hospitality.

On each occasion we've had a four-poster room (room 4) at the front of the hotel looking across the market square and we've stayed on Friday nights. Be warned that if you are a light sleeper you will probably be disturbed by the market that starts setting up early on the Saturday morning so it may be best to request a room at the rear of the hotel. Unlike a previous reviewer I never heard any noise from within the hotel itself. The room is charming, big and this year we had flowers and chilled champagne waiting as part of our 'pamper you partner' evening.

The bar is great and normally has the real fire well ablaze. The restaurant has always been very quiet both for evening dinner and breakfast but the quality of the food has been superb on every visit.

I'll definitely be staying there again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank drisky1
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I have heard good things about the cuisine at the Golden Fleece and during my stay I was not disappointed. The quality was outstanding as was the presentation. The meals that we ate were very good value for money. We had a fantastic time the staff were efficient, warm and polite and could not do enough for us. Our accommodation was excellent, the double bed was so comfortable it was a real effort to extract myself in the morning. The room was clean, welcoming, comfortable and well equipped
I have travelled extensively around the world and stayed in everything from tents to 5 star hotels this hotel rates as a good honest establishment and very proffesionally run.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple