“FLEECE THIRSK”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Thirsk
THIRSK
“FLEECE THIRSK”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

stayed last weekend, no problems. clean hotel with everything you would expect. very helpfull and informative staff, polite and went out of their way to help. great food and pleasant atmospere in the restaurant and bar. all in all a superb weekend and cant wait to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I recently came to the Golden Fleece for dinner after I heard it had been refurbished, I came with 6 of my friends, the food was amazing.
When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly face at reception who showed us where we would eat our food, we found the surrounding comfortable and homely, when ordering our food at the bar it was quick, easy and simple.
The waiting on staff were friendly and helpfull and when our food was brought out it was very well presented and the portions were filling and there was more than enough vegetables and potatoes to go around us.
Me and my friends were more than satisfied with our dining experience here and look forward to returning in the near future.
Keep the good work up guys.

• Stayed May 2013
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here over a recent race weekend in the mews rooms. The room was cosy and kept very clean. We ate in the main restaurant on the first night and the bar in the second and the service was consistently excellent, and the food was out of this world. Both me and my wife would definitely recommend staying here again, all the staff were welcoming and looked after us from the minute we arrived to the minute we left.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We frequent The Golden Fleece often, not as a place to stay but as a place to eat. It has always served good quality food at pretty reasonable prices. Tonight we fancied a bite to eat and decided on the newly refurbished Golden Fleece. We walked into some lovely decor and a great revamp, retaining it's wonderful horse riding memorabilia. We were greeted by a friendly face and asked if they were serving food. The friendly face said they were although she was unclear whether there was a 'special Sunday night menu'. We sat down with a lovely drink of wine and Starapramen whilst we chose from the menu. My husband was interested in the fish and chips but was concerned that the chef may leave the skin on. 'No problem' I said, 'I'll ask for the chef to remove it'. When I asked I was told that the chef couldn't do this. 'Very strange' I thought as I can do this very easily when cooking fish at home! Never to mind we could choose something else. Instead of the fish and chips my husband chose lasagne and myself a Cajun chicken salad. Both meals came in at around £11 each.
What a huge disappointment, my salad had 4......yes....4 salad leaves, 1 tomato and 5 slices of cucumber, on top was a small sliced chicken breast and 2 new potatoes cut in half! I know you don't expect to be stuffed with a salad but this really could have been a starter. To add to this I felt that my home salads were much superior to the one at The Golden Fleece! My husband not really wanting to complain after the fish skin incident could only chew and chew and chew on the lasagne which was burnt and chewy at the bottom!
Both myself and my husband felt that the equivalent meals at Wetherspoons a few blocks down was better and half the price.What a shame, The Golden Fleece has been brilliant in the past but today found itself as a terribly overpriced, mediocre cafe rather than a hotel restaurant! To add to that the man across the way from us had a Sunday lunch which was obviously on the 'Sunday special menu' that was never offered to us.
You need to seriously pull those socks up 'Golden Fleece' if you want to keep your local customers.

leeds UK
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed overnight as we were attending a party there. Whilst room was quite small the bathroom was large and well lit. The place was spotless, and there were lovely thoughful touches, a robe and alongside tea, coffee and chocolate on the tray was cup a soup. Breakfast was very good, loads of choice for a relatively small place and all well cooked and presented.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back if staying on Friday as the setting up of the market Saturday mornng can be...
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Great Location in the Heart of Thirsk, my large room looked over the town square it came with a four posted bed. A well appointed room, well serviced and only £60 per night with a bath and a shower.

Two options to eat the bar or the restaurant I went for the latter and had the monkfish “lovely There’s loads of other options in town all within easy walking distance - (Also Banks, Newsagents, Cafes the lot etc….)

I stayed a couple of times and have never been let down restaurant and reception staff we friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Skipton
Reviewed May 13, 2013

For the past 4 years we have visited the Golden Fleece Hotel for a meal on our way back from a Coach ramble.

We have always found the service and food excellent and would highly recommend the Golden Fleece Hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 755mashi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thirsk
The Three Tuns Hotel
#3 of 4 in Helmsley
Allerton Court Hotel
Allerton Court Hotel
#3 of 5 in Northallerton

Been to Golden Fleece Hotel? Share your experiences!