“DELICIOUS FOOD”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Raj of India

The Raj of India
Reserve with OpenTable
The Raj of India is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 68 Restaurants in Thirsk
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
thirsk
“DELICIOUS FOOD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We visited the raj of India for our christmas party and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. There is a posh bar area as soon as you walk in with a variety of drinks which Indian restraunts usually do not have. I ordered the chicken balti and really enjoyed it the spices were to my perfection and the sauce was excellent. It was such a nice atmosphere and we all had a fab night. The service was good and the prices reasonable, I have also booked a table for next weekend this time with my mum as she has never been before. Highly recommend.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank TracyHD

Yorkshire, England
“Very Poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We have recently visited the Raj, the Service was robotic, the chicken tikka balti madras hot, came in a hot sizzling dish, looked pretty but didn't taste fresh, the food was brought to us 4 minutes after ordering, you could tell that each curry was made from the same cheap Balti paste. The cobra that came on draft was definitely watered down. The portions also were small. Overall, very disappointing, if you want a freshly made, lovely curry with staff who are pleased to see you .... Then go to The Henna Spice Lounge round the corner.

7 Thank Yorkshire77
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We have been here many times and have never been disappointed. Great food, relaxing atmosphere with really friendly staff. We would highly recommend the Raj. The takeaway meals are lovely too. The best Indian restaurant for miles around.

3 Thank Robert L
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Subtle spices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

For well cooked Indian food, both to eat in and take away, with reasonable prices, this is the best restaurant in this area.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank louise h
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Best Little Curry House in UK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

This restuarant made it to the top of my curry house charts 10 years ago, and is still there! Reasonably priced, great service but most of all - Great Food.
My usual, has yet to be beaten: Poppadums and lime pickle, Chicken Chaat, Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi, Peshwari Naan, Mango Lassi and Chai Tea.
All curry houses vary in how they treat their dishes, expect the Raj, where it says 'Hot' it certainly as and 'Very Hot' means the Mango Lassi will come invery useful.
BTW I don't live in or near Thirsk, so if I'm ever travelling from North East to Home (Nottingham) near opening time I will pop in and grab a takeaway, which doesn't suffer at all by being nuked when I reach home. Don't see what you want? Ask for it, stating what strength, you'll get it.
I travel extensively, sampling curries all over the UK, so I reckon I have a pretty good idea of whats good or not. Raj of India - still my number 1!

• Visited July 2012