The Kings Arms
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Black Swan Inn(Thornton-le-Moor)
View Hotel
Solberge Hall Hotel(Newby Wiske)
  • Restaurant
Golden Lion Hotel(Northallerton)
View Hotel
All reviewschoose your ownmeat or fishsteakmain coursethe pubchef cooksregular haunteton messmonkfishwaiting staff were friendlythirsk racesexplained howroom numbersmall hotelon arrivalfor sunday lunchweekend break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Looking for somewhere to eat whilst visiting our son and daughter-in-law, who are currently based At RAF Topcliffe, when we decided to stop and explore the King's Arms at Sandhutton. An excellent choice as it turned out. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and we had a nice lunch. Having established they had no problem with small children (a 3 month old baby to be precise) we booked for dinner that Saturday evening, 22 June. The butcher's counter concept for ordering your meal is different, but works well as you can choose your cut of meat from what you see and discuss the options for sauces, vegetables and/or salads. We didn't find this a problem at all, unlike one of the earlier reviewers, but then perhaps their nom-de-plume says it all, really. The pub has a good selection of local beers and ciders and a nice choice of wine. It is obviously popular as it got busier during the evening, but we were not rushed and even stayed for dessert - not something we normally manage. I noticed that the KA were offering a Friday night deal of Bed, breakfast and evening meal for £100 per couple when we were there - an absolute bargain in my view. We will be back the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 7Jack7
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My partner and I decided to try the KA for dinner on a Saturday. We were warmly greeted and quickly offered drinks; so far so good. Having not eaten here before we were looking forward to trying something "new", and we found this in the starters, both lamb koftas and mushroom terrine were good. Then it came to deciding on the main course. If you don't know the KA does things slightly differently. Only starters are listed on the menu with main courses selected from a "Butchers Counter". The counter is stocked with meat/fish, and you are asked to make a selection, but there are no menu ideas, instead you have the chef stand there making suggestions as to how "you" might like your meat/fish cooked. I have to say I found this novel, but novel not in a good way. The concept just feels a little odd (sorry). I might be a traditionalist, but I do look forward to reading a menu, looking for something new to try or perhaps settling on an old favourite, and that's what I did here; rib-eye steak, chips and salad (I just felt as though I had to play it safe...had there had been a menu I might have just tried something different). My partner had the venison and she enjoyed it, it looked delicious. My steak was ok, but it didn't set the world on fire. I asked for a blue cheese sauce, but the pot (thimble) it came in was a little on the small side. The chips were good and a good portion size too. All in all it wasn't a bad meal, but I was expecting more based on the reviews on here. I think with the butcher counter concept, you'll either love it or loathe it. For me it doesn't add anything to the dining experience, and in all honesty the display of meat dosen't look that great. Waiting staff were friendly, polite and attentive. I can see that the KA is trying to offer something different, but for me it doesn't work. I may be set in my ways, but give me a menu filled with exciting ideas!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ever_the_critic81
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Visiting North Yorkshire at short notice and during a Bank Holiday weekend so finding suitable accommodation was going to be difficult. Booked through laterooms.com. The Kings Arms is in the very pleasant village of Sandhutton near Thirsk and ideally located for exploring either the North Yorks Dales or Moors. The whole place has a friendly, relaxed atmosphere with very helpful and friendly staff. The room was very clean and well presented with facilities for tea and coffee and an en suite shower room. The bar within the premises was well supported by local clientele and it displayed a good selection of beers both national and local brands. The local White Boar was a pleasure to drink. The real gem is in the restaurant and the food. Lets start with breakfast. For me it was the fact that you could choose the components of your start to the day. It was freshly cooked and from local produce. For dinner, the way in which you select your choice of starters, main course and dessert means that the ingredients are fresh and the chef Alex really knows his trade. The result, food more expected of a Five Star hotel, than a local hostelry. The Chicken Liver Pate, followed by Pork Loin stuffed with Haggis was incredible and that was topped by the most fantastic Eton Mess I have ever had. We found it difficult to fault any part of what was weeks stay at the Kings Arms. It is appreciated that not everyone would be suited to this type of hostelry but I can't believe that anyone would be disappointed in their stay here. It does not provide the services such as laundry service etc but they are available nearby in Ripon. WiFi is available. Overall a very pleasant experience that will repeat again in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PedroDubai
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here same time last year on bed and breakfast basis. We liked so much we stayed again this time with our children 11 and 8. We booked a twin and a double adjacent to one another as rooms too small to fit 4 people in. Nice and comfy rooms, very quaint environment. Hotel staff v friendly. We ate lunch in bar before getting quick taxi to thirsk for race day. We had booked meal in restaurant for 8pm as it can get very busy so would advise booking on a Saturday night. The food is lovely, you choose your own meat from the counter and tell them what kind of sauce u want to go with it. Kids chose from kids menu. Food very top notch, lovely presentation, good size portions. Put all food and drinks on room bill and were surprised how reasonable final bill was. Cooked breakfast in morning lovely or u can have cereals n toast. Advise to book room number 4 or 5 as they are slightly more spacious than 1 and 2 which we stayed in. You can view rooms on website so u can pick your favourite one before u book. Book early for race meet weekends. There was a coach party in Saturday morning and again on our return at 630 but they were obviously being well catered for and we never experienced problems with the busy side of the bar. Very quiet nights sleep had by us all. Would recommend and hope to return again another time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RAB1234
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I booked on late room. Com with no problem. The place is fab the staff work so so hard and they are really friendly & they really go out of there way to make your stay pleasant . The rooms are very clean modern & very cozy. The food is fantastic especially the rid eye steak . I will defo be returning . We stayed for breakfast that was also cooked beautifully . Everything about this place is lovely. Well done guys keep up the great work you do!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank pamtowno
natashaThirsk, Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for the great review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us here at The King's Arms and everything was to your satisfaction. We pride ourselves on our friendly team of staff so it is great that you thought the same. We look forward to seeing you again soon..