“What the?”

Ranked #16 of 70 Restaurants in Thirsk
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2013

On reading the many reviews on the Kings Arms I must be the only one who knows how things should be done, and everyone else just accepts how it is and feels happy with that. Well where do I start on what was an eventful evening but very disappointing at the same time. On arrival we were early and went into the bar for a pre dinner drink. The place was soulless with only a large table to sit at. When the water started to cascade through the ceiling and the light fitting due to a newly installed bathroom upstairs it was chaos for few moments with the fire alarm sounding and staff running around with buckets. We moved through to the restaurant once the rest of our party had arrived and were given the menu for the starters. The way it works here is you chose your starter and go to what is essentially a deli counter in the corner of the restaurant where you chose your mains by what is in the counter and order the starters. The idea seems great in theory but we waited what seemed like an age before somebody came who looked like the pot washer dressed in an apron and a t-shirt. No chefs whites to be seen. I chose the lone Partridge which was sat in the cabinet, bald, headless with its feet still attached along with the queen scallops and crayfish for starters.We were there for 7pm and most of the starters and mains had sold out or had limited availability. I was informed by the pot washer that the mains came with veg and potatoes. We went back to our seats. Not too long later the starters arrived. My queens scallops were served in a hot skillet along with the crayfish and cheese. I only got one scallop along with the crayfish and all was overdone. When the mains came I couldn't believe my eyes, the partridge was served as two breasts and two legs with the feet and claws all curled up and still attached! It was like Thai street food. The bird was dry and tough with very little sauce. A bloody disgrace. The veg was raw and not al dente. When asked about desert I thought they cant cock all three courses up surely not. I ordered what was billed as a chocolate pot. When it came it was a 70's style dish with a spoon bendingly tough chocolate torte like base with an inch of cream swimming around on top. Three people ordered it and three different size pots came to the table! I didn't eat mine. The only positive I can find in the whole evening was the staff were great although oblivious to the standard of fayre they were serving. They did it all with a smile and couldn't be more efficient.

3  Thank jonny l

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Had a great Sunday Lunch Huge portions ,lovely meal nice atmosphere
friendly attentive staff.Lunch served till late afternoon
Highly Recommend

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Recommended by Sue the owner of Newsham Grange and so pleased it was...Very different way of ordered and choosing your food (as other reviewers have said) but lovely!! The service from all staff was excellent, the food was fantastic and the entire visit finished off our day lovely. Will make a point of returning.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

A lovely pub with a very friendly atmosphere. You get to choose your cut of meat/fish and discuss with the chef how you want it cooked. There is also a good bar menu that you can choose from should you wish. This is a family enterprise - and it shows. We had a lovely meal with delicious homemade pudding and will definitely go again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We ate at the Kings Arms whilst staying at Carlton Barns B&B for a couple of nights.
The ordering system is very unique, with a starters menu which you order directly with the chef and then you select your main course from the kitchen - there are different options of meat and fish and the chef makes suggestions on sauces and accompaniments. It is actually a very clever way of being able to offer customers what is available off the boat or from your butcher rather than being constrained by a menu.

The first night we shared the lamb kofta and a nibbles plate of pitta, olives, feta, homous and anchovies for starters which was fantastic and really set us up for our mains. I has the local rib eye steak with a bernaise sauce - this is some of the best steak I have had since moving to Yorkshire 3 years ago. My husband had the homemade steak burger, with cheese, bacon and jalapeño - he was delighted and said it is one of the best burgers he has had.
On the second night I had the scallops followed by Halibut and my husband had pâté followed by Monkfish. Once again the food was fantastic and we even managed a dessert!
The wine list, whilst not extensive has some excellent wines to choose from, including a couple of dessert wines which was a real treat.
On both evenings, despite there being different staff serving, our experience was excellent.
I have already recommended to our family who live near Thirsk and we will certainly be returning when we are next in the area - can't wait.
A big thank you to all of you who contributed to our wonderful evenings with you.