“Amazing, but a little limited!”

Falconry UK Thirsk Birds of Prey Centre
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Thirsk
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy the thrills and excitement of falconry at the Birds of Prey and Conservation Centre, with over 70 birds and 30 species.Eagles, falcons, hawks, kites, vultures and owls will swoop and dive around you as you sit in a beautiful arena. Our skilled handlers will explain why the birds hunt and fly as they do, where they come from in the wild and how they are trained.We also provide falconry experience days for both adults and children, experiences days start from £30..
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Been today with two 4 year olds. The staff are amazing with the birds, very knowledgeable. You get incredibly close to the birds during the displays!

The vulture was easily my favourite of the day!

Other than the displays there is little else to do, cafe/ gift shop very small and well, limited! Playground is again limited!

Well worth an afternoon of your time tho!

There are newer reviews for Falconry UK Thirsk Birds of Prey Centre

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Interesting display of hawks, owls, Kites and Eagles and well worth the £6 I paid on a groupon.
However the one at Beamish Hall is better and there was a lot more to do after the display.

The caged and shackled birds all looked a bit sad and the shop and play park didn't have much in it when compared to Beamish Hall.

They did however have an owl and hawk to put on my nephew's arm, whcih made for some great pictures and the queues for this weren't as big as the for the aforementioned one.

All in all, an interesting place to visit but you couldn't make a day of it, so you may want to tie it in with a visit to Northallerton like we did.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

had a really good day out, it was easy to find, the flying displays were great everyone was really friendly and having an owl on my arm was brilliant

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I am being picky giving it a 4 rating, not a 5. If I was absolutely honest I would give it a 4.5 out of 5, but you can't do that on here!

Lets start with the positives -

It's in a beautiful location which is quiet, peaceful and its quite easy to find. The staff are extremely knowledgeable about the birds and all the birds are very well looked after, with big size aviaries and they certainly get out a bit doing the flying displays - which are absolutely brilliant to watch.

I took part in the Owl Experience and this was definitely worth the money! The best experience I've ever had in a long time. It was so mesmerising and really touched me learning about these magnificent and beautiful birds. Handling the birds was the best bit by far. I cannot wait to do my next experience. What really touched me is they let my almost 3 year old nephew handle one of the lightweight owls. He loved it!!

Negatives -

The cafe is a little bit too small and cramped. They do not have any fresh produce available - not even a cup of tea or a cake! All the sandwiches are pre packed which is disappointing. Yes, they are tasty but at least give the customers some fresh goods. The children's play area is small also.

However saying all that, the positives outweigh the negatives and I will definitely be returning.

Place is worth 5 out of 5, whereas the cafe is worth a 2 or a 3 out of 5!

2  Thank Emma W
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband received a full day experience as a birthday present and I went along as a spectator.
What an amazing day - the handlers were great and more than happy to chat and answer questions. They are all extremely knowledgable and it is obvious the bonds that they have formed with the birds which demonstrates the care and consideration that is given to these beautiful creatures.
It was not a cheap day out but it is one I will never forget even as a spectator (the only thing I didn't do was handle the birds) and given the wonderful job of conservation these people do I would gladly pay it over again.
The facilities are not extensive, but as the park is now in private ownership we can only hope that there will be some investment that improves the facilities to attract families - that said i hope it does lose its integrity as a Bird of Prey Centre and become a theme park!
Many thanks to all those involved especially Will and Kerry - both extremely talented handlers - who made the day for us.
We wish you all the best of success and hope to return.