“Excellent day out”

Falconry UK Thirsk Birds of Prey Centre
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Thirsk
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy the thrills and excitement of falconry at the Birds of Prey and Conservation Centre, with over 70 birds and 30 species.Eagles, falcons, hawks, kites, vultures and owls will swoop and dive around you as you sit in a beautiful arena. Our skilled handlers will explain why the birds hunt and fly as they do, where they come from in the wild and how they are trained.We also provide falconry experience days for both adults and children, experiences days start from £30..
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Bought a voucher for Falconry UK - so it was a very cheap day out for me and my daughter. Arrived just after opening and had a look round prior to watching the first display of the day. It's a lovely place with lots of birds in very clean, well designed cages - everything was immaculate, nice area for picnics with benches and space to sit inside if you buy food from the centre - sandwiches, cakes, biscuits, confectionary, crisps, drinks and ice creams - all reasonably priced. The flying display was great - four birds - starting small and getting larger - the Sea Eagle was huge and circled up and up, then swooped down - he was mobbed by rooks as it was nesting time. Lots of information about the birds we watched fly and then time to meet an owl or eagle - no extra charge for this which was a nice surprise. The staff were happy to answer questions as we looked around and everyone seemed happy to be working there and cared about the birds welfare. Nice gift shop with pocket money souvenirs as well as more expensive items. An excellent visit and I'd be happy to return and pay full price for entry - it's well worth it.

1  Thank anne51265

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Absolutely fabulous!! Bought an experience day for my partner and I as a birthday gift and we were truly amazed!!! fully recommend to anyone looking to do something unusual. The staff, Will, Kerry and David were extremely knowledgable about all the birds within the centre and really enthusiastic (you can tell they really enjoy their jobs!!)

Just a fantastic day and well worth the money!!!! would definitely go again!!

1  Thank Nicola H
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Having ploughed the Internet for a suitable Falconry Centre to buy my husbands birthday present (a falconry experience day) I was lucky enough to find Falconry UK Thirsk and I must say we wasn't disappointed. I booked a full day experience for him and a spectator day for myself. Our day started at 10.30 with complementary tea or coffee, then a member of staff (Will) explained what would be happening throughout the day. As well as handling many of the birds we were very well informed about them, where they were from, diet, weight etc and Will was always open to questions. Just before lunch we were taken on the hawk walk now joined by Kerry, as well as 2 Harris Hawks 'Brown' and 'Red' the hawks were a pleasure to watch and all participants in the group had lots of opportunities of handling them. Shortly after the walk we watched a display in the arena followed by a light lunch (included in the price) then more handling of the birds followed by another display. The day ended by watching and handling a Golden Eagle 'Boris' my husbands favourite bit of the day I think. The centre is well set out, very clean and very well organised. Although I didn't handled the birds I felt that I had learned so much and thoroughly enjoyed the day, thanks to Kerry, Will and the team.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Really lovely day out! My 3 year old really enjoyed it too and got to hold 3 different birds. Picnic area is lovely and right next to the avairys and the staff were really nice and happy to chat. Will visit again.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We (mum, dad, 2 and 4 year old boys) fancied doing something a little different and this gave us the perfect opportunity. We drove from Leeds within the hour (lovely drive) to the beautiful surroundings of Sion Hill.The place is very well presented and maintained and very rural.

The bird show was excellent. We stayed for the first show of the day, we would have stayed for more but our 2 year old was a little restless during the first show so we didn't risk a second just yet. Our children loved it, especially when the bird handlers allowed the birds to swoop and land on the same benches that we were sat on! The birds were spectacular and the eagle was especially memorable.

There is a well stocked play area and sand pit for the children, which they loved. We had a picnic out front with a peacock on the prowl.

Everything is in proportion to the number of birds and visitors, it is a wonderful day out and highly recommended.