“Enchanting!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Springfield, Oh
“Enchanting!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in October during a visit to Yorkshire. Our room was luxurious - spacious and comfortable with lots of amenities including an en suite bathroom. Nicely located for walks through the charming village. Breakfast was excellent and included a variety of choices. Local shops, pubs, restaurants and attractions kept us busy for the three days and two nights we were there. We are James Herriot fans, and after touring the museum across the street, were able to enjoy the series of All Creatures Great and Small, which is available for viewing in one's room. Kathryn is warm and welcoming and her attention to detail is apparent. We would most certainly stay here again, and with any luck will be back someday!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you, we do hope you will be back one day! Thank you too for posting the lovely photos.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Truly lovely people. Kathryn and Steve are great hosts. Our second visit, and hopefully not our last. Our room was warm and the nightly chocolates are a lovely touch. Kathryn and Steve are most helpful with ideas for adventures in the Dales and Moors. It feels like home. The award winning breakfast is divine. Central location for endless adventures in the town and throughout the region.
Darwin and Shirley

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you! It was lovely to have you stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I recently stayed at the Gallery for the first time on a business trip accompanied by my partner. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we were particularly impressed by the level of attention to detail. The cosy breakfast room has lots of helpful information leaflets and maps for places to eat and things to do. Our room was lovely and clean, with fresh biscuits, a selection of hot drinks, a TV with DVD player, and the entire box set of James Herriot books and chocolate eclairs by the bed. I wish I could have stayed longer! Breakfast was a real treat – all sorts of options to choose from (the pork, black pudding and apple sausages were fab!) and perfect fresh fruit salad and homemade muesli. Katherine was a lovely host and provided helpful information on reaching the Gallery and parking prior to our visit, and gave us lots of suggestions on where to have dinner. We would not hesitate to recommend the Gallery to others and we look forward to staying here again in the future!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed your brief visit. You must come back again and see a bit more of Yorkshire?
Granby, Colorado
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This place was ideal! Loved it! It was beautiful and the attention to detail was amazing! Room was super clean and comfortable! All of the bedding was very clean. Extra bedding in the closed if needed, as well as a robe and slippers! The selection of tea/coffee/hot chocolate in my room was huge. I wish I could have stayed more then once night so I could have got through more of it! :) There were also fresh baked cookies on the desk and little Cadbury candies on the night stand. It was a cold November night when I stayed, so after I visited the World of James Herriot (right across the street, could see the red door from my window! Super awesome for a nerd like me!) I stayed in and watched a movie and had a nice cup of tea. They had a huge selection of DVD's to choose from. There was also a James Herriot box set of books in the room! I did not read any because I've already read them all, but it was a nice option! The en suit bathroom was very clean as well. Matching Soap/Shampoo/Body Wash/Lotion provided, as well as cotton swabs, cotton balls etc. Once again, the detail was very nice and made you feel right at home.

Great selection of food to choose from for Breakfast. Very easy with a menu to fill out the day before. I have missed full English breakfasts, and this totally hit the spot! The breakfast room was beautifully laid out. Besides the hot breakfast there was also a nice selection of cold stuff too (cereal, fresh fruit, and yogurt with granola) to snack on while your meal is being cooked. And if you don't want the full breakfast there are other options to choose from.

Overall this was a great experience! (If I could give it more then 5 I would for sure!) I hope to go back someday and will definitely recommend this place to anyone wanting to visit Thirsk to go see the James Herriot stuff, or just for a nice getaway! Next time I'm going in the summer time so I have more time to explore the town! But honestly, I was perfectly happy, warm, and comfortable staying in for the night! I only wish I could have stayed longer but my trip plans only afforded me one night!

Bottom line- I could have lived there and the cost was under what I would have expected for everything you get at this B&B! Kathryn's attention to detail is absolutely amazing!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you, we're so glad you enjoyed your brief visit to Thirsk and The Gallery. Its so nice to know our hard work is appreciated! You must come back and explore Yorkshire - there is so much to see!
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have returned regularly to stay at the Gallery, both on my own and with friends, so have stayed in all the bedrooms. Never been disappointed - the owner Kathryn always goes the extra mile with a personal finishing touch and is very accommodating to visitors needs.
The food is sourced locally wherever possible and there is an extensive menu to choose from at breakfast. Actually it's fantastic! I particularly enjoy Kathryns' home made vegetarian sausages (but there are a wide range of meat options should you prefer) and fresh fruit salad, yoghourts, croissants, local granola muesli and a wide range of other delights.
Don't worry about parking as there is a public car park 2 minutes round the corner, which is so handy.
The Gallery is a superb base to explore both Thirsk and the wider area
Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for this lovely review, it was lovely having you to stay once again. I guess you called at Rievaulx Abbey on your way home, seeing the photo, one of the many attractions around here!
England
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed for one night for a business trip with my wife in tow. I thought £75 was very good for the both of us for B&B in a large, nicely appointed room. The owner Kathryn is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast selection is excellent (huge choice of different sausages).
Good wifi access and speed. Don't let the lack of parking put you off. There is a large public car park just round the corner and the B&B have parking permits for the lay-by across the road.
Recommended.

Room Tip: Room number 1 is large and well worth the extra £5.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review - so glad you enjoyed your stay. Our rooms are actually £65 & £70 (you did only pay £70 honestly!) but as you say the extra £5 for a larger room is well worth it. We hope to see you both again.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This place is really cosy and inviting, my stay here was fantastic and the treats such as the home made cookies were an excellent surprize. Kathryn was very welcoming and the breakfast was fantastic it is always nice to get a bit of home coking when away. I cant this of anything that I would want to change about my stay, parking is a bit tricky but not the fault of the Gallery.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
KathrynCollington, Owner at The Gallery Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back next year.
Just to clarify, parking is normally easy as it is available from 4pm until 10am the next morning on the road (always spaces available) or if guests arrive early the car park is just a 2 minute walk away. Guests are always advised about our parking arrangements prior to their visit.