“A nice rest after a tiring ride”
Review of Tea at Tapps

Tea at Tapps
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Baldock
Cuisines: British
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I went here today with my cycling group. It was a tiring ride but it was a nice place to stop with a nice atmosphere. We came into and sat down at a wobbly table (felt a bit like home) which was corrected immediately by a staff member. The service was quick for the group we brought and the food was good.
One thing I may add is that after people have left clearing up takes a few mins but that is the only thing I can mention as a negative.
But I will say that pictures on the wall and the wheelbarrow of flowers made the atmosphere perfect for afternoon tea it was a sight to behold.
Looking forward to visit again.

There are newer reviews for Tea at Tapps

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I just wanted to write to say how lovely my visit to Tea at Tapps was. I was met with a very pleasant atmosphere and a wonderful view across the allotments opposite and the rolling Hertfordshire countryside beyond. After selecting one of the 'specialist teas' I enjoyed a beautiful homemade cream tea - with the best tasting scones this side of Cornwall!!
Since my first visit, I have been back several times and had the same excellent experience each time - I am slowly working my way through the vast Tea menu and of course the homemade cakes too. Good job I love to walk and garden!!

2  Thank Martin I
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

We stopped for a Coffee and Tea one Sunday in September and also order two Cheese Ploughmans. Staff pleasant but oh dear the service is shocking. We must have waited nearly 20 minutes for our drinks. Food came shortly afterwards and was acceptable. The place was not busy at all so why service was so slow is unknown. Tables were left uncleared and much washing up behind the counter was on show, not even put in the dish washer. Would I go back? Probably but not if I was in a hurry. Venue needs sorting out no fire safety signs, running green man signs etc. how this place allowed to open in current state unknown. Signage to toilet poor as was condition of sole toilet for both male and female.

1  Thank ET316
KenyanPatrick, Owner at Tea at Tapps, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

I would like to reply to your comments and give a view from our point.
I have checked our tills for the day in question, all Sundays in September were busy in waves of intensity, you are very welcome to come and check this for yourself, I will personally show you the till tallies.
As you have seen we operate an open kitchen, and cannot hide the crocks needing washing, if as you say you could see a pile of washing up, that could be because the dish washer was operating at the time, the tables would have been in the process of being cleaned down as you arrived, I assume you didn't have to wait for a table!
As for your comments on the fire safety signs, they have always been in place along with the notice in the single toilet pointing out that the new toilets are under construction immediately behind the wall as you exit the facility.
As for being allowed to run in current state! - we scored a 4 with the environmental heath Officer who said we missed a 5 because our new toilets were not constructed at the time of his visit.
The food for our customers is prepared at the time of order, as is the leaf tea and coffee, the leaf tea is served at a specific temperature from special infusers, My staff may have been waiting for the water heaters to catch up.
I understand from your comments that your experience was not what you or I expected, I would like to say that all our staff are approachable and would have discussed your concerns at the time, further I was on duty that day as I am here every day and would have gladly listened to your comments.

Perhaps you would like to revisit making yourself known to me when we can sit and discuss the matters further over a complimentary tea or coffee, I will explain the planned development that we are only halfway through.

Thanks

Kind regards

Graham Tapp - Owner.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We called into Tapps with a cycling club this afternoon. There were about 20 of us, but it shouldn't take 40 minutes to get a tea and a cake. The lady in charge looked miserable and scruffy. The other two young girls working there didn't seem to have any idea at all. They take your money. You sit down and wait. And wait. And wait. At least there is a lovely dog in the cafe to play with, but you don't need his head on your lap when you are eating. No thank you.

We won't be returning to Tapps. If they hadn't taken so long, we wouldn't have got wet on the way home. The adjoining barn was full of fireworks. Is that wise in a wooden building? I hate these firework outlets with a vengeance. Most of the people who buy them can't be trusted with a cigarette lighter, let alone explosives. Maybe they could just spare one rocket for the kitchen.

6  Thank John C

Thank you for your review, Its good to see our customers giving opinions, however it would be nice if it was balanced and fair!
I have looked through our records and cannot find any record of any of your party booking in advance, that day we had just finished a busy morning service and a party of Motorcyclists who had booked in. We in common with most small tea rooms request large parties to book in, in this case you did not but we did our best to cater for you.
We are not a set up to cater for large parties and all our food is freshly prepared to order, freshly brewed tea loose leaf tea and barista coffees also take time. It took one member of staff 14 minutes to take orders for 24 people, we consider that to be pretty efficient. Although each order had a numbered receipt to identify it, when orders were taken out it was sometimes difficult to make ourselves heard because of the level of noise and hustling, some of your members grabbed
anything that came by perhaps yours was one of the ones your colleagues took! needing to be re made, so - sorry you had to wait but the hustling did not help my staff serve every one in an organised manor.
To summarise we processed 16 orders for 24 people amounting to 41 items which included freshly prepared sandwiches, ploughmans, quiche and salad and 19 individually made hot drinks.

Regarding the scruffy miserable looking lady, that was my wife who came in from the garden centre where she had been doing the watering, so was probably not exactly smartly dressed but she had to help the young girls who couldn't cope with the in rush of 24 impatient, hot sweaty cyclists. Your tone of language with reference to my wife and staff who tried to serve you all is offensive and deserves an apology.
The tearoom only has nine tables so with guests already in, you pretty well took over the place,
We have all sorts of large parties in, all of them have been well behaved and considerate and are all welcome to return.
Further to your other comments about the firework shop and the people who buy them, that was also out of order and deserves to be withdrawn.
The site is a Garden Centre and we sell all sorts of goods the list is endless but just to inform you everything within the firework shop is cardboard and fresh air, known as DUMMIES, the explosives are well away in steel containers, we are regularly inspected by Trading Standards and have all the appropriate paperwork in place. We also sell paraffin, petroleum gas i.e. Calor Gas and garden chemicals all of which are kept in a safe and appropriate manor.

We are an honest family business and we try to look after our customers, we don't always get it right but we do like to interact with people who have a genuine complaint, we don't expect people to be rude and then spread it around the internet.

You may or may not have seen the sign in the garden centre about the development including the toilets etc. being temporary and the new ones being built etc.

You are very welcome to come over to discuss your visit and I will forward you every consideration including complimentary tea or coffee your choice, but an apology must be forwarded to My Wife and staff.
Yours sincerely
Graham Tapp
Owner.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Lovely tea,lovely cakes served by friendly staff at a fair price.

it was a lovely place to sit down after shopping in the garden centre.

1  Thank Glad_one