Tripadvisor
Hailsham

“Rude chef, poor food, good waiting staff.”
Review of Prezzo - Hailsham

Prezzo - Hailsham
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #25 of 57 Restaurants in Hailsham
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had dinner last night at the Hailsham chain; after many pleasant meals at the Eastbourne branch we decided to visit the Hailsham restaurant after moving to the area. My last visit being over 10 years ago; i recall the same beautiful setting in an old historic school building I remember great food and family memories from many nights dining here. On my first visit back since then I returned to different staff with the same friendly qualities, unfortunately the quality of food has massively declined, the starters True to form as expected an obviously frozen yet indulgent guilty pleasure usually experienced at Italian chain restaurants, however for the main we ordered a oven baked spaghetti carbonara alforno. Carbonara being one of my favourite and most tested dishes i found this to be the most dry and flavourless of all, along with truffle fries which originally came out plain and once pointed out to waiting staff were sent back to kitchen and covered with some parmesan adding absolutely nothing to the bowl except more dryness. As stated the carbonara was the worst i have seen zero sauce just a clump of melted mozzarella on top with some pancetta and chicken. Carbonara is one of the basics you expect to be on point when choosing an Italian restaurant, oven baked or not the bland dryness was quiet surprising especially after having the same dish in the Eastbourne branch which was great. The pizza ordered was decent however the pasta and fries screamed ‘monday graveyard shift’ after sharing the pizza we spoke to the the waiters and explained we was unhappy paying full price for the half untouched meal. With both my partner and I coming from a publican and restaurant background it is VERY rare for us to speak up against our own community! However £20 for two untouched and poorly executed dishes was hard to compromise on. After great understanding and agreement from the waiting staff we had this removed from the bill. We then paid and added a tip telling the waiters to keep the change. After this the chef came out of the kitchen and scoffed loudly ‘keep the change’ Utter disbelief! As previously stated coming from the restaurant Industry and working over 10 years within the business including family business ownership I think the behaviour is absolutely disgusting. To make paying customers feel uncomfortable for poor cooking and laziness is wrong on so many levels and shows very poor work ethic, arrogance and lack of respect. What a shame. Will definitely not be returning. Shout out to the waiting staff on that night, hope they get to keep the tip as i can assure none was directed at appalling kitchen staff. Except for having to ask for a few basics expected in Italian restaurant ie. spoon for spaghetti and parmesan for pasta dish staff were very attentive and friendly. Sorry but it will be my last visit to the Hailsham branch which is a shame as we have just bought a house in the area, my dad being a landlord of a pub himself would never allow such an act to happen within the business.. another hot headed chef unable to take criticism for a poorly served dish. Never mind more business for the rest of the high street. Ciao!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (313)

Reviewed December 22, 2019 via mobile

Last time I was here was about a year ago, slightly disappointed then as they didn’t have a good range of vegan food so thought I’d give them another try.

Big mistake! Very little in the way of vegan choices. Only vegan starter was hummus and sorbet for dessert.

I had a pizza which was bland with vegan cheese that was just a few blobs placed around the pizza. Was really disappointed that they haven’t made their menu more varied for non meat eaters and only offering sorbet for dessert is just downright lazy!

The restaurant was virtually empty and I’m not surprised. So many other restaurants now offer so much more, take a leaf out of Zizzi’s or Pizza Express’ book. You have to move with the times or you will get left behind which is such a shame for such a beautiful building.

They didn’t even have decaf tea.

Won’t be coming back again.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 19, 2019 via mobile

Christina, George and Georgia and the other staff, completely look after us whenever we visit the restaurant. We have been visiting here for over 6 years and have never had a bad meal or cause to make any complaint at all. We have been to many other Prezzo restaurants but never feel we receive the same friendly and efficient service as when we visit Hailsham. Well done to all the staff, you are a credit to the company. Darren, Emma and Amelia

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 13, 2019 via mobile

We have just had an excellent meal at Prezzo in Hailsham with my wife and two friends. The food was excellent as was the service, particularly from Andrew. We will definitely be back.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed September 8, 2019

We ate here midweek during August and the place was very busy but the service was friendly and quick and we were made to feel welcome. The menu is varied and our food was well presented, tasty and good value for money.
Another good experience at this Prezzo establishment.
Will definitely visit again.

Date of visit: August 2019