“Great Food, Great Atmosphere & Dog Friendly”
Review of The Rose and Crown

The Rose and Crown
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Snettisham
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Great Atmosphere & Dog Friendly”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

A REAL pub - 3 bars, restaurant & beer garden. Dogs made very welcome in the bars and garden where you can have a drink and enjoy a meal with your faithful friend at your side.
Really nice atmosphere and good food.

• Visited April 2014
Jeannette0801, Owner at The Rose and Crown, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of The Rose & Crown.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and particularly that you liked the fact that The R&C is still a proper local drinking pub. Preserving the traditional village inn at the heart of The Rose & Crown has been one of our guiding principles since taking over the business nearly twenty years ago, and is one of the things that makes The Rose & Crown such a special place. Along, of course, with good food, agreeable surroundings and smiling, friendly staff. And dogs and children! I hope we will be able to welcome you to The Rose & Crown again soon.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Poor service, raw meat”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We ordered two rack of lamb for lunch and sat comfortably waiting in a nicely decorated room. Bread appeared on the tables around us, and amazing looking food. 15 mins later salivating and hungry we asked for bread and ate it slowly in anticipation. Eventually a beautiful rack of lamb arrived, on a bed on dauphinoise style potatoes and cabbage along with side orders of carrots with cardamon and broccoli with almonds. Cutting into the meat took some effort and then we discovered it was raw, not pink, raw flesh and solid white fat. No one was serving in the room (which was full) so we had to go and find someone who came, looked and asked if we'd like it cooked some more. Plates were taken and we asked to keep the vegetable side orders so we could nibble. During what seemed like a never ending 15 minutes we munched on overcooked and bland vegetables watching other food pass by. No apology and no update. Eventually plates were returned without comment and it was clear they had literally cut our rack in half and put it under the grill. Both still had raw meat in places and the parts that were now pink were tough. We called out again discreetly not wanting to make a fuss and the waitress gave us a filthy look. Still no apology however she did offer to put them under the grill again (is it safe to keep bringing the same uncooked meat to the table???) we said no, our vegetables are now cold and we couldn't wait any longer and she then said you can have something else. We again said thank you but enough is enough we're going to leave. She then said I'll take these off and bring you the bill .... I looked at her and said "really?, you think we're going to pay for 2 bowls of cold vegetables and a glass of wine after waiting nearly an hour and still not even getting an apology", her response "I offered to get you more vegetables". My reply "we're leaving" hers was shrug of shoulders and walking off. All it would have taken to turn this around would have been an apology, a little attention whilst we waited and a smile. Thankfully we are not people who let things like this spoil our day however it was disappointing and I cannot recommend it to anyone.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank heartled
Thank you for your recent review of The Rose & Crown. We are always grateful to customers who take the time to write about their experience of The Rose & Crown. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your visit. As owners we work very hard, as do our excellent staff, to ensure that each customer's visit is a pleasurable one - good service and great food in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere, and agreeable surroundings. Clearly on this occasion we slipped up on both food and service. I do apologise and hope that you will feel able to come and try us out again, when I hope we will do better
Heacham, United Kingdom
“Service still lacking”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

One evening this week I went with a friend for a meal. We got drinks at the bar before heading to the Cellar Room, as all the tables in the bar areas were full. We both ordered burgers, mine a skinny without the bun and it was appreciated that this was an option. The problem was still the service. My friend tried to order another round of drinks, but we were forgotten and having waited several minutes, I had to ask again. He also had a dessert but I resisted. My friend also commented that, although he tried to persuade the staff to serve the 'lady' (that's me) first, they all insisted on serving him. When he asked for the bill he was brought it without a plate or wallet, just a piece of till roll. The staff had assumed he was paying by card and therefore were not expecting cash. He had to put it on the table. So whilst the food was excellent the service was definitely lacking and agree one of the waiting staff looked quite scruffy. This seems to be a repetitive problem so would suggest that the management pays more attention to detail with staff training in how to present themselves and smile ... that costs nothing!

1 Thank Arkdove
Thank you for your recent review of The Rose & Crown. We are always grateful to customers who take the time to write about their experience of The Rose & Crown. I am so sorry you found the service unsatisfactory. As owners we work very hard, as do our normally excellent staff, to ensure that each customer's visit is a pleasurable one - good service and great food in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere, and agreeable surroundings, with friendly efficient and smiling service an absolute must. Clearly on this occasion we did not make the mark. I do apologise and hope that you will feel able to come and try us out again, when I hope we will do better
“One visit enough”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

freinfreindly pub .Dogs welcom.food first class.but order at bar .food come out. .no one come to see if you ok coach load come in .so noisey .Won't visit again.place hasn't clean .like to be waited on .make sure we like food .but no one came .

1 Thank Maureen T
Jeannette G, Owner at The Rose and Crown, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the food first class, and that you were pleased to be able to bring your dog, though sorry to hear that you felt one visit was enough. We do not have coach parties at The Rose & Crown, and we do have waiting staff so I wonder if you were actually at The Rose & Crown, Snettisham?
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Recommended to us by locals this pub has a wonderful atmosphere, the staff were busy but attentive and the food of a very high standard.

Visited March 2014