“Welcoming and very good food.”
Review of The Rose and Crown

The Rose and Crown
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Snettisham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Welcoming and very good food.”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We four called in on the off chance of eating and were very quickly shown to a large table and served our drinks and menus. Excellent greeting to the Rose and Crown. Very interesting and varied menu, something for everyone here. We all enjoyed our food, a good range of beers too. Can certainly recommend this establishment for a nice atmosphere with very friendly and helpful staff. That's how we found it! Can only speak as we find.

• Visited October 2013

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

We went for a drink. What a lovely old place. Love the higglety pigglety floors, low ceilings log fires.reminded me of visits to see my gran in Ireland many moons ago. Menu looked amazing!! When we are back next year it will be first on our list of things to do.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Food”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great atmosphere. Good choice on the menu. Nice open fire. Doombar beer from Cornwall brilliant. Great service and friendly staff.

Visited October 2013
london
“pub food - no better”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had high hopes based on the website and previous reviews but were disappointed almost from the start. The place was bright & busy, our table was ready and the menu looked quite interesting. While we waited for the first courses (some hot) I asked the waitress if the prawns were local and fresh, which she said they were so i ordered a half pint to share. When they arrived, it was apparent that she was wrong - they were flabby & watery - no better than shop-bought frozen. It didn't get much better with the first course. Crab cakes were under-seasoned, heavy on potato & light on crab. My order of mackerel with Cajun sauce was disgusting - a small piece of fish with an artificial tasting sauce which completely swamped it. It was literally inedible so I ate the salad (dressed with a clearly massed produced dressing) and left the fish, which I very rarely do. When the waitress cleared, she didn't ask why I had left it - so I told her that it was horrid & she should tell the kitchen so. That was the last I heard of it - previous comments about the staff being disengaged and uninterested are spot-on. The main courses were actually not bad. Correctly cooked local hake with a very decent risotto and good fish and chips. My wife and daughter told me that the desserts were adequate - but over-sweet & expensive for what they were.

On balance, it was average - but we were expecting better than country pub food and prices are pitched accordingly. It's ok if you stick to simple pub choices but do not risk anything which puts demands on the kitchen, don't assume that everything is prepared on-site from scratch - expect short-cuts with bought-in caterer's sauces and don't assume that the staff know or care.

I had half expected the mackerel to have been knocked off the bill - but it wasn't and by that stage we were just keen to leave so I simply knocked it off the (already reduced) tip.

• Visited September 2013
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I went here today for the first time for a meal with family, and we had a delicious meal.
The place itself is light and airy, well laid out and with a modern feel amongst the many various rooms where you can eat. Service was friendly and relatively swift, and most importantly of all the food was outstanding with decent portions all-round.
The only negative was that it could have done with a little light, background music, rather than silence interspersed with the noise of the coffee machine, but that's a relatively minor quibble.
It's certainly not cheap, but it's a quality establishment, and I look forward to returning (not least to check this wasn't a one-off!).

• Visited October 2013
Jeannette G, Owner at The Rose and Crown, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Tamion

Thank you for your recent review of The Rose & Crown. We are always grateful to customers who take the time to write about their visit to The Rose & Crown.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. As owners we work very hard, as do our excellent staff, to ensure that each customer's visit is a pleasurable one - good service and great food in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere, and agreeable surroundings. It is hugely rewarding to all of us to get postive feed back like yours.

It is interesting you mention about a bit of background music. We are on the point of getting gentle music installed in the Garden Room, the big airy room I suspect you sat in, as well as having it redecorated to make it feel a bit cosier. Purosts should not panic though - the drinking pub heart of The Rose & Crown will not hear the music, and nothing will interfere with the chink of glasses and sounds of good conversation and laughter.

I hope we will be able to welcome you to The Rose & Crown again soon, and show you that this was not a one off.

Jeannette