This hotel enjoys a charming location in Burnham Market, a very cute Georgian village with a number of tempting shops and easy access to the coast and the beautiful beach at Holkham. Ideal for a romantic weekend. We stayed in the Vine House (opposite the main hotel). The room was stylish and unique (a true boutique hotel experience) with luxe features. Quality bed linen and feather duvet/pillows, tea and coffee facilities, fresh milk in the mini-fridge and even wine glasses and a corkscrew, all added to the relaxation factor. (There is a very good wine merchant in the village.) We stayed in room 54 which has a fairly small bedroom but the benefit of a mini lounge area in the attic above (and a very high ceiling above the bed going up into the roof) and a view over the village. The Vine House also has a number of charming period lounges in which to relax. The only downside is that the front door requires a good slam to shut and a good push to open - as a result we were woken by late revellers and early risers. My main quibble with the hotel is the lack of organisation/service. This is not to say that many individual staff members were not friendly and helpful - they were - but there was no sense that anyone was in charge overall or taking a general interest in whether guests were being properly taken care of during their stay. No one recognised us from one day to the next (except one lovely waitress). Following the loss of its previous owner, the hotel needs its new owners or general manager to take on more of a visible "host" role and a better system of organisation throughout.
The restaurant is acceptable but somewhat overpriced. The quality of the cooking is broadly good but does not reach the standards suggested by the complex menu and prices. Go for the simple options such as fresh local seafood. There is a good wine list (especially good French wine selection). Again, organisation was lacking and while some servers were very engaging and efficient, others were a little over-relaxed, occasionally bordering on off-hand.
Overall this is a comfortable and stylish retreat which I would definitely recommend - but I hope to see evidence of a new guiding personality filling the former owner's place on my next visit,
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hoste is a luxury boutique hotel located in Burnham Market, North Norfolk. It offers guests sixty two bedrooms, two acclaimed restaurants and Beauty Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your The Hoste reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hoste Arms Hotel Burnham Market
- The Hoste Burnham Market, Norfolk