TripAdvisor

The Nelson
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked for a special occasion and unfortunately the food really let it down, we did give it a 2nd chance but the 2nd evening was worse than the first sorry.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (290)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We popped in to kill some time and keep warm with a coffee and some board games with the puppy but ended up having a nice lunch as the staff were so welcoming.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We called in for lunch and had a good meal. A good choice , well cooked and served. The staff were very friendly and made us welcome.especially our little dog.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 15, 2019

After a few lovely meals at the Nelson last year, my partner and I were looking forward to more good meals there this year. What a disappointment. I struggled to find anything I fancied on the menu but finally decided on ratatouille pasta with parmesan cheese which was on the specials board. When it arrived it looked very bland and uninteresting. It was made up of penne pasta, chopped peppers, chopped courgettes and a few watery tomatoes with no parmesan cheese. I've made ratatouille loads of times and know it should contain aubergines, onions and garlic with a good tomato sauce. I ate about a quarter of it before speaking with the waiter and then a manager. The manager went to see the chef and returned to say that the meal wasn't acceptable and I wouldn't have to pay. Thank goodness for that as I was adamant I wasn't going to pay £14.50 for a meal that looked and tasted like a 10 year old had made it. I assume the chef from last year has been replaced by someone who needs a few more cookery lessons! My partner had a chicken curry with naan bread - that too was nothing special but still cost £16 - complete rip off.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 12, 2019

We have used the Nelson for many years, and our last visit I mentioned the food had improved along with the service, however it has changed again. On this visit we find less choice of food available, less food on the plate and all for more money. We had to start with calamari which in fact was three bits on a huge amount of salad, the other starters were of the same portions. The mains had reduced in size and to be honest quality was not the best. This is a real shame, because it was one of a kind and not competing with other restaurants in the market, but now for less money you can get a decent meal at the White Horse in Brancaster Staithe with great views.

Date of visit: August 2019