“5* and worth it”

The Hoste Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Burnham Market is on the Coast Hopper Bus route.
Description: Book a romantic dinner in the restaurant at The Hoste Hotel, where the Chefs create dishes that owe much to locally sourced produce, not least a great selection of local seafood from the nearby coast. We have a high quality, informal, relaxed atmosphere with very friendly and efficient staff. The imaginative menu is complimented by a 200-bin wine list that includes some keenly priced classics.
Reviewed August 7, 2015

I really do not know what recent reviewers are talking about. I hardly ever award 5* (check my profile if you like) but there was no reason not to, for our recent lunch at the Hoste.

Service was attentive without being fussy or sycophantic. The food and drinks arrived at exactly the right intervals. If we wanted anything extra, a cheerful waiter immediately delivered.

The meal was delicious and beautifully presented for every course for everyone at the table. We had no complaints whatsoever. I can only think that other reviewers were determined to find fault somehow, somewhere, no matter how trivial. If, for instance, you choose the Brancaster Lobster Cocktail as a starter, there is so much lobster in the dish that it is nearly double the amount provided by other establishment as a main course!

The Hoste has really upped its game and is now far better than it used to be. Service is more professional, friendly (they used to be very stiff and snooty) and the food is superb.

We were so pleased with the lunch that we immediately booked a dinner bed and breakfast for later this month as a well-earned treat, along with some spa treatments.

Highly recommended. Not cheap, but if you want cheap you'd go elsewhere.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed August 6, 2015

Visited here for lunch, the place looked fantastic but the food was not as good as expected for the price. Soup was barely warmed up, and rather bland tasting, had to be asked 3 times what we had ordered and the place was full of pretentious people who liked the sound of their own voice! In my opinion anyway, if I visit again it will just be for a drink in the bar!

3  Thank Karen R
Ewen T, Manager at The Hoste Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2015

Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving a review of the hotel for us to read, I’m so sorry to see that you felt the staff at the Hoste didn’t care about the issues you faced while with us. I am particularly surprised as out staff are normally rated extremely highly by our guests. Your comments have been relayed to Martin, the Guest Services Director who values constructive comments.

I do hope you may change your mind and return to visit us again, if so please contact me directly so I can ensure you are well looked after

Kind Regards

Ewen

Reviewed August 5, 2015

Heaven only knows what the late Paul Whittome would make of the Hoste in its present incarnation. I hadn't visited for thirty years but still recall the memorable seafood selection enjoyed all that time ago. So, last week, we ordered for lunch the Norfolk Coastline Seafood Platter. At £28 for two, it needed to be rather special. We do not have large appetites but even by our standards the offering was positively Lilleputian.
Brancaster Lobster Cocktail, for example, consisted of two shot glasses containing shredded lettuce, a dab of Marie Rose, and a centimetre end of the smaller section of lobster pincer. Creamed Norfolk Smoked Cod (one portion only) sat on a croute which had totally absorbed the creaminess, thus rendering it soggy. And so forth. Only the two Brancaster oysters were satisfactory as they'd had simply to be shucked. As to service, there seemed to be a communication problem between the numerous waiters and long delays, for which we were charged 10%. This is deplorable when your party numbers just two The Provence rose was acceptable, but there was only one draught beer available. We were told the Hoste now offers accommodation for around 72 guests. Perhaps a decision has to be made as to the
aims of this over-ambitious enterprise. I see I'm not alone in my disappointment.

3  Thank Jaqianne

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review of the food and service at the restaurant in the Hoste, especially since you haven’t visited for 30 years which I believe was even before Paul Whittome purchased the hotel! It’s very disappointing to read you didn’t enjoy the Seafood Platter, which is one of The Hoste’s signature dishes and extremely popular. It is designed as a dish for 2 people to share, offering a selection of best local seafood and a taster of 6 different types of dish. We normally sell in excess of 30 such dishes per day with no negative feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for any communication errors or delays that took place during your visit. I am not aware of any shortages of draught beer and incidentally we offer 3 choices of lager and 4 real ales, as well as draught cider, Guinness plus a range of bottled beers and ciders. It’s great to read you enjoyed our Provence Rose which is one of the most popular wines sold at this time of the year, I hope you might come back at some time in the future to try it again.

Kind Regards

Ewen

Reviewed August 5, 2015

my bill came to almost £30 for a pint of bitter, some chips and pork belly with Madeira sauce. So I feel it could have been better value for money.

But do bear in mind the dish was lovely and I did enjoy it.

2  Thank Ianlewis_001
Reviewed August 4, 2015 via mobile

I've eaten here many times and this time I was disappointed. We booked a table that morning for lunch and was surprised to see when we got there it was nearly empty. Decor is stunning and service is polite and accommodating. The wait staff didn't write the order down and the order came out wrong. I'd nearly finished my sandwiches before the other main dish came out! Wine selection was perfect and reasonably priced however the sandwiches were extortionate for what they were! The salmon and cream cheese were perfect and priced accordingly but the crab and on spelt bread was overloaded with a sauce/dressing so you could hardly taste the crab! I've paid more for better sandwiches elsewhere. They messed up the order so we couldn't eat together and mine was less than average.

4  Thank 8-HappyTraveller-8