The Farmyard Inn
$90
$87
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
The Lathkil Hotel(Over Haddon)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspie nightthe pubevening mealpig stycow shedexcellent foodbooked a tableate herepiessteak piewednesday nightboth nightslocals and visitorsfull english breakfastovernight staylovely landladybakewell pudding
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just returned from a couple of days in beautiful Derbyshire. We were a party of three ladies who went for the lovely walks and to visit Chatsworth. Can I just say we could not fault the Farmyard Inn the accomodation was excellent the evening meal was really good. All home cooked food and very resonable with a fantastic real fire which just added to the atmosphere of the country pub. The landlady Sue was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. The cooked breakfast was amazing and really set us up for the day. We will definately be returning and will be letting all our friends and family know about this little gem.!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Ate here on mother's day. It was very busy, but the carvery was very good. All veg cooked well and not overcooked. Veggie option was homemade and a tasty veggie tart. The service was a bit hit and miss. The owner was very attentive but the waitresses seemed to have to be asked several times for dessert menu, bill etc by all parties. Very good value.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank LaRibote
Reviewed February 25, 2013

To do this review justice it must be split into two sections. First the accommodation. Have just spent two nights at The Farmyard Inn having found most of the other places to stay in the area were booked up. Room was clean but small but adequate for any short stay. Decor was a bit tired but Sue the landlady acknowledged this and stated she was going to 'upgrade' all four rooms later this year. Comfortable bed and probably the best selection of beverages provided that I have come across for a long time. Even most four star hotels do not provide such a selection including hot chocolate which for me is a must. On the downside the bathroom lets the place down. Small with a shower that is hardly worth troubling yourself for. Yes it produces hot water but like most electric showers the strength is very poor. Mirror light was broken and toilet roll holder almost falling off. The worst bit was lying in bed and being able to hear everything that took place in neighbouring rooms bathrooms. Not the nicest of ways to wake up in the morning and not sure why this was as the walls appear to be solid brick and not stud walls. The pub - A really great little pub situated at one end of the village. Lovely log fire at the end of the bar and a reasonable selection of beers for a brewery owned pub. The food selection is adequate but not extensive which is usually a good sign and I can assure you that it was. We eat at the pub two evenings and every time we had a really good wholesome meal with freshly produced veg. Best garlic bread and unfortunately no room for a dessert!! judging but the numbers of locals both drinking and eating at the pub it is without doubt a very good place with a good reputation. Sue the landlady has only been at the pub for six months and is still finding her feet in the pub industry. I am sure she does make mistakes as highlighted in other reviews but she comes across as hard working and trying to bring about changes for the better. My only suggestion is that she should offer breakfast from earlier than 8.30am and not cook everything in deep fat. Overall a really good place to eat and stay but possibly a bit overpriced for the accommodation until such time the rooms are upgraded and the noise problems resolved.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sheep Pen which is sandwiched between two others. Suggest you opt for one of the end rooms to reduce unwanted noises.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NickEastSussex
Reviewed February 25, 2013

During our stay in Youlgreave we decided to give the Farmyard Inn a try for dinner.

Luckily for us it was 'Pie Night', meaning that the day's specials were a selection of freshly made pies with a variety of fillings. The pies were very good, although the service was a little slow taking around 45 mins for our order to arrive at the table. The staff were friendly and the beer was very good and well kept. We paid our tab and left the pub two satisfied customers pledging a return as we had really enjoyed our meal.

We returned to the Farmyard Inn two days later and decided to try some of the other food on offer.
I went for the black pudding as a starter as the prawns that I had ordered were 'off'. The starter was well presented and served with a poached egg and crispy bacon placed on top of some kind of salad. However, fresh rosemary had somehow managed to get on the plate, overpowering any other flavour that there might have been, making the dish taste really weird, one herb too far for my liking.

The mains were disappointing. The lamb shank that I ordered didn't taste fresh, more like it had been cooked a day-or-so before and warmed up again, making it dry and chewy. My wife had the beef bourguignon, which was very bland in flavour, we could find no evidence of red wine or mushrooms. Overall it was more like an escaped pie filling than the lovingly prepared French dish that we were expecting.

On the whole we were left with mixed feelings about the Farmyard Inn, we wanted to love it but the disappointing and rather expensive food (for what it was) on our second visit made it difficult to give it anything but an average review. If we hadn't gone back after our initial visit things would have seemed very different and I'd probably be singing its praises.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I visited recently while on business in the area and had been recommended the home made soups by a colleague and although the choice looked excellent it happened to be Pie Night and that menu was equally appealing so pie it was.
I had the Lamb and Spinach which was excellent, loads of filling, and served with fresh vegetables, potatoes and gravy. The menu says that there is a half hour wait which I found out is because each pie is freshly made and the wait is well worth it.
I was made to feel very welcome by the log fire, the landlady and the locals and had a most enjoyable evening.
I have a classic car and motorcycle and this will be an excellent destination particularly on summer evenings with a very good car park.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business