“Above average pub grub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is definitely a pub first, and a place to eat second, but all the better for it. The food was clearly homecooked and very, very tasty. I had a steak and ale pie which was fantastic with huge bowls of veg on the side. Only downside was the measly bowl of chips we were given to share between the seven diners present, but a relatively minor quibble on what was otherwise an excellent meal.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Six of us (plus dog) had a meal here (not dog!) on a Saturday lunchtime. Everything about it was just excellent...the quality of the food, the choice, the prices (very reasonable), the service, the setting, the pub itself. Can't recommend this enough.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We visited here on Saturday during our first stay in Youlgreave. Both myself and my partner ordered the Sirloin steak - he said his was good, mine certainly was not and was full of fat and gristle. We raised our concern with the waitress, who was very polite, and she called the manager for us. The manager came out, asked us if there was a problem, and when we explained that my steak was very poor for a sirloin, she brushed off the comment saying that it was locally sourced. When my partner began to talk the manager said "I don't have time for this, I will just give you a refund" and stormed off. We then sat finishing our drinks, and after 5 or 10 minutes the manager came out and said "if you are waiting to pay you will have to go inside as we don't do waitress service", to which I responded "no I am actually waiting for my refund" at which point she stormed off again expecting me to follow. Refund was given begrudgingly, with no word of apology. Will definitely return to Youlgreave, but not to this Pub.

3  Thank Z_P_Foodies
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We visited The Farmyard Inn with high hopes, on the first night of our week's stay in Youlgrave. We'd read so many great reviews that we thought we couldn't go wrong. ..Seems we could, and did.
OK, we visited first on the Saturday evening of a bank holiday weekend. But then, shouldn't any pub be prepared for the extra pressure at these times..? Apparently not, because although we'd booked, the staff who met us seemed flustered and were part apologetic, part resentful. We were able to order our meals quite quickly, but they took a long time to arrive and when they did, the rice and couscous on mine was dry as dust -- though no denying, the veggie curry was nice --- and my partner's meal was cold. These meals were not cheap, either, at £8+ each.
When we went to pay, the woman at the till seemed, again, flustered.. We weren't shown an itemised bill (although I realise this is now, maddeningly, the norm...) and it was only because my partner was keenly watching the till that we picked up on the fact that we'd been overcharged. It was sorted out quickly and I'm not suggesting it was deliberate... But how crazy is it, that customers are now expected to pay out pretty hefty sums of money (well upwards of £30...) with no chance at all to check their bills before payment -- or even after, as here......??
Despite all this, we decided to go back for lunch a few days later... Only to find that The Farmyard offers no lunchtime-style bar snacks at all, other than soup. We didn't happen to want soup, and we didn't want to pay upwards of £9 each for lunch..

OKOK, perhaps we're freaks among the glowing-reviewers! But this was how we saw it. And we always prefer to praise than criticise....

5  Thank Annith
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We ate here a couple of times as we were staying at a cottage in the village. Definitely the best place to eat in the village but the competition isn't that strong! Good food but not great. But one isn't expecting Michelin starred food at a local pub. Big portions. Wednesday is pie night. If you travel a few miles there are better places to eat but for convenience this friendly pub, frequented by the locals, is just fine...