“Relaxing night away”
Review of The Old Lockup

The Old Lockup
Ranked #1 of 5 Wirksworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed the Saturday in the Hayloft, welcomed by Tim with a warm drink, very welcome on a dreary wet day, Room was very quaint and extremely comfortable the truffles a lovely touch. Would recommend it to anyone would like to return again for a few days when the weather is better.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Old Lockup

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We booked a valentines weekend and chose the old lock up as it looked very quaint and had received some excellent reviews. Upon our arrival we were greeted by Tim who was warm and friendly and offered warm drinks. We were shown to our room (The Magistrates) which was very spacious and full of character. The truffles on the bed were a lovely touch. Even though the room had central heating it was very cold, but a fan heater was supplied and this solved that problem.
We ate in the guesthouse on both nights and Tims menu although not as extensive as most places was excellent. The home cooked food was amazing and well worth the money. Tim's homemade bread is some of the best we've tasted and we were lucky enough to come away with a loaf.
Breakfast is a varied choice and all produce sourced locally. It was well cooked and satisfactory.
Overall apart from the weather, we had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Nothing is to much trouble for Tim and his hospitality is second to none. I would have no hesitation in staying here again and eating in. Well worth the price.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We have stayed here twice prior to this trip and this third time was just as good as the previous two visits. I cannot recommend the place highly enough. The room was once again spotless with some lovely handmade truffles left on the bed. The breakfast was the highlight of the stay, as usual and me and my partner will be booking again soon. Thanks Tim!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Just returned from a long weekend in the Peak district, we stayed at the Old Lockup in the Solicitors room for two nights. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the room was very comfortable and quiet - I had the best nights sleep i'd experienced in a while. Tim was also very welcoming and breakfast was delicious on both days. The chocolate truffles on the bed when we arrived were some of the best I've tasted... if only i knew where to get some more of those!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed for two nights in the magistrates room which was comfy and full of character. We we're welcomed by Tim who made us a cup of tea and a cake while we sat in the comfy lounge before unpacking our bags; the other reviewers are right when they say he is an excellent and very friendly host. After taking in some of the many local sights we had a great nights sleep in a comfy bed, then enjoyed the best full English breakfast I've had in years, coupled with Tim's award winning bread. The next morning we tried the pancakes which were equally delicious, so many choices for those not so keen on egg and bacon. The only thing to mention would be availability of parking; we never had a problem finding a space on the street after 5pm or in the small car park opposite, but in high season this could become a bit trickier. In summary a beautiful and characterful place to explore the friendly town of wirksworth and the beautiful scenery nearby. We'll be booking a return visit very soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the hayloft at the weekend. All was fine but for the price (70) it was very small. Bed very comfortable but the ensuite is tiny, if you are over 5 ft 9 then you would struggle to use the toilet. The tv is also tiny if you enjoy watching tv on your stay.

The host seemed v friendly and I imagine a room in the main lock up would be much more comfortable. I thought I had booked a room in the lock up and was dissapointed to realise we were in fact in a seperate building, but perhaps this is my fault when booking.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Timothy F, Owner at The Old Lockup, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

I was sorry to read this review, the room was actually booked online via a third party and at a fairly hefty discount, possibly a single occupancy rate. I would always encourage guests to call me direct when booking, I am always happy to explain the layout of the rooms which are all different and all with their own character. A lot of people actually like the Hayloft because it is one of the rooms that has a bath tub, the compromise is that it takes up much of the bathroom. The Hayloft itself isn't a room that anyone else has called small but it is a converted Victorian stable block and retains the original features, exposed beams, sloping ceilings, which may not be to everyone's taste. It is also worth noting that all guests have access to the main house, free use of the lounge, TV, stereo, even a few musical instruments if that way inclined, and I'm always happy to light the open fire to make it really cosy. Unfortunately these guests had to leave very early in the morning before breakfast so I never got chance to speak to them about their stay as I always like to get any feedback in person and will do whatever I can to make a stay a pleasant one.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just home from a Football failing weekend. Girl chose the Old lock Up for my birthday weekend FA Cup 3rd round weekend away. Apart form the footie we had a Cracking weekend. Stayed in The Magistrates Room and it was great. Tim was a great host (Sheffield Utd Fan!!) Room good, Food good and the people of Wirksworth were Fantastic. Highly Rated.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wirksworth
Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to The Old Lockup? Share your experiences!