“Relaxing weekend away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Wirksworth B&B and Inns
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Relaxing weekend away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Just returned from a long weekend in the Peak district, we stayed at the Old Lockup in the Solicitors room for two nights. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the room was very comfortable and quiet - I had the best nights sleep i'd experienced in a while. Tim was also very welcoming and breakfast was delicious on both days. The chocolate truffles on the bed when we arrived were some of the best I've tasted... if only i knew where to get some more of those!

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed for two nights in the magistrates room which was comfy and full of character. We we're welcomed by Tim who made us a cup of tea and a cake while we sat in the comfy lounge before unpacking our bags; the other reviewers are right when they say he is an excellent and very friendly host. After taking in some of the many local sights we had a great nights sleep in a comfy bed, then enjoyed the best full English breakfast I've had in years, coupled with Tim's award winning bread. The next morning we tried the pancakes which were equally delicious, so many choices for those not so keen on egg and bacon. The only thing to mention would be availability of parking; we never had a problem finding a space on the street after 5pm or in the small car park opposite, but in high season this could become a bit trickier. In summary a beautiful and characterful place to explore the friendly town of wirksworth and the beautiful scenery nearby. We'll be booking a return visit very soon!

chester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the hayloft at the weekend. All was fine but for the price (70) it was very small. Bed very comfortable but the ensuite is tiny, if you are over 5 ft 9 then you would struggle to use the toilet. The tv is also tiny if you enjoy watching tv on your stay.

The host seemed v friendly and I imagine a room in the main lock up would be much more comfortable. I thought I had booked a room in the lock up and was dissapointed to realise we were in fact in a seperate building, but perhaps this is my fault when booking.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Timothy F, Owner at The Old Lockup, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
I was sorry to read this review, the room was actually booked online via a third party and at a fairly hefty discount, possibly a single occupancy rate. I would always encourage guests to call me direct when booking, I am always happy to explain the layout of the rooms which are all different and all with their own character. A lot of people actually like the Hayloft because it is one of the rooms that has a bath tub, the compromise is that it takes up much of the bathroom. The Hayloft itself isn't a room that anyone else has called small but it is a converted Victorian stable block and retains the original features, exposed beams, sloping ceilings, which may not be to everyone's taste. It is also worth noting that all guests have access to the main house, free use of the lounge, TV, stereo, even a few musical instruments if that way inclined, and I'm always happy to light the open fire to make it really cosy. Unfortunately these guests had to leave very early in the morning before breakfast so I never got chance to speak to them about their stay as I always like to get any feedback in person and will do whatever I can to make a stay a pleasant one.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just home from a Football failing weekend. Girl chose the Old lock Up for my birthday weekend FA Cup 3rd round weekend away. Apart form the footie we had a Cracking weekend. Stayed in The Magistrates Room and it was great. Tim was a great host (Sheffield Utd Fan!!) Room good, Food good and the people of Wirksworth were Fantastic. Highly Rated.

Bollington, Cheshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed for two nights in the Hayloft room which was extremely comfortable. Tim and his wonderful cat Moriarty welcomed us with tea and gorgeous cakes. We had two evening meals which were superb, Tim is an excellent cook and we even came away with a loaf of home baked bread. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is the first time I am writing a review for anything in general. But I just couldn't not to. My husband and I just came back from our short trip to Wirksworth and had the chance to stay in the Old Lock Up. What an atmospheric place. My first word after I entered the room was "WOW" and I left the room with the same impression. I would definitely recommend this amazing B&B. The food, the facilities, everything was great, and the most important the lovely host Tim. Thanks Tim

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

What a lovely bed and breakfast.

As soon as we arrived at The Old Lock Up, Tim, the owner, offered us a warm greeting with homemade cakes and drinks. From then on, Tim was all too happy to ensure that our stay was as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. Nothing seemed too difficult for him.

The rooms were lovely and clean with fresh white bed linen.

We ate in on both of our evenings and the food was beautiful, the Beef Wellington was perfectly cooked and presented.

We had cooked breakfasts in the mornings, all the ingredients locally sourced and fantastic quality.

An evening with wine and cheese by the roaring log fire is a must.

In all, a fabulous bed and breakfast run by a very attentive and personal owner. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Franco2411
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wirksworth
Red Lion Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Hodgkinson's Hotel
Hodgkinson's Hotel
#1 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Old Lockup? Share your experiences!