“Excellent service”

Ranked #1 of 5 Wirksworth B&B and Inns
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

A really friendly guest house Tim could not do enough to make our stay special. His cooking is awesome. It's is really well placed to explore the Dales. It's also just a short walk from winkworth.
The Bedroom was roomy and well kept , linen was clean and reviewed daily. There was always plenty of tea/coffee supplied.
The parking was across the road in a little gravel area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner had just driven from Glasgow to Derbyshire to visit his mum. After a long day driving we came to this B and B for one night so we could go out for dinner. Best night I've ever had the linen on the bed was so soft and the mattress not too hard but also not to soft! The whole B and B has a quirky feel to it due to it being an old police office. Freaked me out a little bit that the bathroom in our room (solicitors room) was a cell but we survived the night with no bumps or creaks. Glad I didn't read the information booklet within the bedroom until the next day due to the mentioning of two ghosts!! Would not put me off though an absolutely beautiful B and B if we are ever in the area again this will definitely be our first choice of B and B's.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jessicarose420
Nottingham
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We spent the weekend here after taking advantage of the unexpectedly good weather to visit Carsington water nearby. There aren't a lot of places to stay in Wirksworth but we found out about the Old Lockup from some volunteers on the station of the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway which is one of Wirksworth's other treasures..
Wirksworth has never really figured highly in my knowledge of Peak District towns and doesn't seem to command the same kind of recognition as, say Bakewell, Buxton or Matlock Bath, and so to find this wonderful B&B was a welcome surprise.
Based on a quiet side road the traditional Peak District style stone building, which was once a police station, is both serene and full of character. We were greeted by Tim, the owner, who at once made us welcome with tea served in a fine china teapot and cake in the quaintly, old fashionedly furnished living room with it's Queen Anne style chairs and sofa.
After chatting for a while Tim took us through the courtyard to our room, called the 'Hayloft' which was probably once a genuine hayloft in the now converted barn outbuilding. The room itself had, like all the rooms we saw, lots of charming olde worlde character, was very clean, had a smallish but functional bathroom en-suite and a lovely view out over the church yard. Tim was also kind enough to provide an ice bucket of champagne and chocolates in the room which I had secretly ordered to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
Since there aren't many places to eat in Wirksworth, and since we really didn't feel like doing much more walking after trekking 13 miles around Carsington water earlier that day we took advantage of the evening meals provided at the B&B. Tim's menu, though limited, which is understandable since he does all the cooking himself, has a good variety of dishes, and because they are cooked to order Tim needs at least 24h notice in order to buy in the ingredients. If you book in advance Tim will kindly e-mail you the current menu which I imagine varies throughout the season as availability of ingredients changes.
The dining room is very charming, classical looking, distinctively decorated with huge flowery wallpaper and old photo's on the walls and windows that look out over a balcony onto the courtyard. The Bruschetta we had for starters was very good and sat on home baked bread.
Our main courses, the Steak and Ale Pie and Pan Fried Sea Bass were done very expertly as was the bread and butter pudding we had for dessert. To wash it down we chose a bottle of wine from a well selected wine list. The dining was relaxed and unhurried made more so by the fact that no-one else was dining there that evening so we had the place all to ourselves and Tim's undivided attention.
Our room afforded a great night of undisturbed sleep in this peaceful corner of Wirksworth on a large, comfortable bed.
Breakfast, in the dining room was substantial and nicely cooked, offering all the usual breakfast options of cereal fruit, toast, full english breakfast or variations there-of, and of course, tea or coffee.
Checking out at reception we were surrounded by relics of the B&B's past life - reception being the old sergeants desk during it's previous incarnation as a police station. Around the desk are antique items you would expect to find in a police station a variety of handcuffs etc and an interesting selection of policeman's hats.
I would definitely recommend this place for anyone who wishes to stay in Wirksworth, which I definitely think is an up-and-coming town, based in the heart of the Peak District and surrounded by many visitor attractions, yet doesn't suffer from the tacky-touristy feel that some of the more popular Peak District towns suffer from. Many thanks to Tim the B&B owner for making us feel so welcome and providing a great place to stay.

Room Tip: The Hayloft is nice but is in an outbuilding, advantage being it is as far away from the ,admittedly...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a weekend here, the place was fabulous. The hayloft was Brill airy, spotless, lovely bedding and towels, great view of graveyard.... Lovely breakfast and welcoming cuppa and cake. Great host, he was spot on, very accommodating, looked after us and our pooch really well. The town was lovely too all dog friendly. Glad Moriarty reappeared!!

• Stayed June 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My partner and I visited the Old Lock up for two nights on 9th June.
We were greeted by Tim, with a welcome pot of tea and a slice of home made cake which was a lovely unexpected touch.
We stayed in the magistrates room, having chosen it from Tim's website.
The Lock up itself has an interesting history, first being a magistrates court and then a police station. There are still traces of the B&B's former history, eg the walls are 3 feet thick to prevent breakouts, one of the original cells is still intact.
Tim is happy to cook evening meals on prior booking and as we were arriving late and liked the menu he featured on his site we opted to give it a go. I must admit I was rather sceptical but the food was very good, infact better than we've had in many a restaurant!
Breakfast was plentiful, with fruit juice, a choice of cereals, toast and a cooked english or bagel, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. The breakfasts set us both up for the day and I actually could not eat anything till the evening on our first day!
Tim was attentive without being obtrusive, our room was comfortable and quiet even though its at the front of the building. It had tea and coffee making facilities, some lovely cookies and even several pieces of fruit had we wanted it. The ensuite was clean toiletries were provided along with ample clean towels.
We can thoroughly recommend the Old Lock Up for couples.
I

Room Tip: Make sure you read the website carefully. - eg I was disappointed the magistrates room had a shower...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank veiga2001
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2013

After a few fast-paced days in London, this Old Lockup was the ideal B&B quiet retreat. I noticed right away how clean and orderly the house was kept. I couldn't believe the perfect breakfast presentation with crisp white table linens, and fresh coffee in a french-press. And, also he made great fresh tea, easily the best tea I had in England. Parking was tight but that's normal for the area. If you want to venture out, the French local bistro is large with an upstairs downstairs and a wide variety menu too. It's nice to know such a charming place like The Old Lockup still exists. Tim was always helpful and pleasant. I also couldn't believe his menu choices for dinner had such a variety. My hats off to Tim for being so accommodating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our travels to Derbyshire were quite by TripAdivsor searching chance. While searching on Tripadvisor for a nice hotel in the London area, someone had recommended a visit to Derbyshire. I took the advice and quickly adjusted my search for hotels to something in the Derbyshire area.

This is when I found The Old Lockup.

The reviews were glowing. I quickly booked 3 nights. A great decision- leading to a great stay.

I traveled with my wife and son - all 3 of us found the hotel perfect.

Tim, was there to greet us on arrival - welcoming us in - after helping us to navigate a reverse park into his driveway. Then straight inside for tea and a few sweets.

We stayed in the Magistrates room. This room was quite charming. The bathroom was up to date, very clean, and shower with good water pressure.

A perfect tray with tea, cookies, and a small bowl of apples and oranges and a small box of chocolates.

Each morning Tim greeted us with a pleasant breakfast of our choosing from the previous evening. Dinner in the evening was fantastic. I was truly impressed with Tim's culinary skills. I would highly recommend all breakfast and dinner meals at the Lock Up during your stay.

Tim was fantastic with our son - and even prepared special dishes for him on request.

Moriarty was a big hit with my son - the new small kitten mascot of the Old Lock Up. :)

Needless to say - the next time our travels bring us to Wirksworth we will be staying at the Old Lock Up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wirksworth
Red Lion Hotel
#2 of 4 in Matlock
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Old Lockup? Share your experiences!