“Great characterful B&B”

Ranked #1 of 5 Wirksworth B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great characterful B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in the Solicitor room. The owner (Tim) made us feel at home. Great breakfast, comfy room, would recommend to anyone wanting a special experiance while exploring such a beautiful area of the UK :0)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We arrived at The Old Lockup in some disarray as my wife had fallen badly the previous day in the Lake District and had nine stitches in her right knee and we were due at a wedding near Wirksworth on the following day. Tim was kindness itself and after coffee and cake helped us to out room - the Magistrates. This was fine with a slight quibble that in this room. the bathroom was a little small for tall people, but Tim obviously cant do anything about this.Other bathrooms may be more spacious . Tim has only recently taken over and stressed that he was anxious for constructive comments, so we suggested fluffy towels - hardly a major expense - and that he gets some help with the laundry, or he will wear himself to a shadow!
Breakfasts were good . Tim was very understanding that we could not stay the extra night that we had booked due to my wife needing to get back here to have her injury checked by our GP. He also contacted us and promptly sent on a bag which we had left in our confusion. He has a friendly and positive attitude to running a B and B and is aware that he is on a fairly steep learning curve. We will return if we are ever again in the area and we wish him every success.

Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

The owner Tim was very welcoming and we received a pot of tea in the homely sitting room on arrival. We had an excellent night's sleep in The Solicitors room. The bed was very comfortable with crisp white bedlinen and the luxury of 3 pillows each on the bed. Little extra touches were provided such as pillow chocolates, cookies, fresh fruit and cut flowers in the room. Our room had a full en-suite bathroom great for a relaxing soak after a day's walking.

The décor of the guest house is rather twee yet befitting of the rustic character of the building. We just thought it was going to be grander than it actually was... our expectations were oversold mainly due to the contemporary website which gives the impression that this is an upmarket boutique establishment. And given the tariff is top end - it didn't quite live up to our expectations in that respect, for example the bathrooms require updating to appeal to the market it is trying to attract. To give him his due, Tim works extremely hard and has only been in the business a few months and he is the first to agree that it is a work in progress and really should hire some help. We ate a 3 course meal for £25 each, accompanied by an excellent bottle of Sancerre (wine list £10-£20 bottle). Tim produced a tasty deli platter to start, followed by his signature lamb shanks and home-made pavlova roulade with summer fruits. It somehow lacked the restaurant experience as we were the only ones dining. Also Tim cooks to order for his guests which is no bad thing, but he discussed with us what we would like to eat BEFORE we'd even arrived at the guest house which somewhat takes the pleasure out of perusing a menu. It's also requested that you decide what you would like for breakfast the night before... there's a pattern here!

The main thing with this guest house is that you are guaranteed a good night's sleep in a comfy bed, they also allow dogs (£10 per night extra) which was great that our pooch could join us on our country walks. If you're interested in local/social history too then it is a bonus to find out about the in-mates from a couple of centuries ago, it is haunted apparently (and it is adjacent to a cemetery) but we didn't feel a presence!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

The place used to be a police station, and hence "The Old Lock Up". It consists of two buildings. The reception, sitting room and dining room are in the main building. The Old Lock Up is situated next to a chapel, and the rooms located in what was once the police station's stable are overlooking the chapel's cemetery.

The only means of payment is online and it must be done in advance: payment through PayPal, but if you don't have a Paypal account, you are given a choice to pay by credit card.

This B&B has free wireless access for guests but there is no wireless coverage apart from in the main building.

The breakfast was good and is served until 9:30. You jot down the exact time you want to have your breakfast on a form and hand it in to Tim or leave it on the reception desk. I liked my breakfast. You need to give at least 24 hours of notice if you want to have dinner cooked by Tim. The nearest pub is only 50 meters away across the main street, but they do not serve food.

The bed linen and the bathroom were clean but the room had problems: Firstly, looking at the photos on the hotel's website, we were expecting a nice, posh, large room... But the room and the bed were a bit small. If you are a tall person, it may be tricky to fit yourself in those queen-size beds. The TV in the room is 14", but it was working fine. There were complimentary tea bags and instant coffee provided, but no herbal tea. There was no bath tub in the bathroom, which we thought something you would expect to see in a 5-stars B&B. There was not much distance between the bed and the toilet, and the toilet door was made up of segregated bars. Worst of all, we found a used napkin under the bed-side cabinet which was enough to turn my stomach!

Tim is a nice, kind host and he is, as it seems, always busy. As stated in previous reviews, he definitely needs an assistant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Been there for a relax night during the bank holiday weekend and even if at first the service looked good we finally didn't enjoy our time as we had the impression to be stared by the owner when we had a tea or breakfast in the commun room. It was just impossible to speak between each other as we were interrupted every single time... In the morning, and after telling us the night before we could have a breakfast at anytime we want, when we arrived around 10:00am, we were told (I mean the first thing even before welcoming us) that he wasn't cooking anymore?! So we couldn't even have some eggs?! What's wrong with him?! Honestly that's a really poor service and quite unpolite?! You cannot have such a behaviour with your guests especially when you bought the place 3-4 months ago. And that's exactly the opposite of how he should act... I'm sure you will find a better place somewhere else in the area.

1 Thank Awesoman
Timothy F, Owner at The Old Lockup, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
I am a little disappointed with the views of these travelers. When they arrived I spent some time with them, despite being busy cooking evening meals and welcoming other guests, while they used my computer to try and find somewhere to dine that evening, suggesting places that I knew were good. They seemed to appreciate that I was making an effort to help. I did say that if anything wasn't exactly right that they should let me know as I am still new to the business and if I don't know I can't put it right.
I have a system for breakfast where guests can choose from an extensive menu and leave their order on the bar the night before, preferably before 9:30 pm, so that I can have everything ready in the morning. The menu states that last serving for breakfast is 9:15am but I explained to these guests that I am flexible on this as long as I know when to expect them. Indeed there is a space on the order for them to state what time they would like their breakfast.
The order I received did not have a time on it and was slipped under the front door sometime around midnight.
I had cooked all the items that could be kept warm but by 9:30 with no sign of them I had started to clear the kitchen. At 10am when they arrived they asked if they were too late for breakfast and I told them they were fine to have something but as it was so late I had stopped cooking though I had kept their orders warm. They seemed happy enough with that and while they had their breakfast I made polite conversation as I do with all my guests.
Never did they express any concerns or dissatisfaction indeed they said they had had a pleasant stay.
I am constantly striving to improve my service and always take on board constructive criticism but in this case I feel that the reviewer has been less than fair in their assessment.
I shall continue to welcome my guests in the same way and to talk to them as I do now, most people seem to appreciate that as my other reviews demonstrate.
nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

As stated in previous reveiws, Tim, the new owner is a great host. we had a 3 course evening dinner which was lovely. we enjoyed the breakfast but the cereals and fruit were limited. it will really help him when he gets an assistant so he can keep up the standard, as running it alone is a big job and it would be a shame if things slip.

Greater London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here overnight before embarking on the High Peak Trail by bike. We arrived about 8.30 pm on a wet bank-holiday Sunday evening. New owner Tim was a perfect welcoming host and kindly allowed us to park in the privately-owned drive, store our bikes in his garage and bring our bags into the house while he made us a well-needed cuppa in lovely bone china cups which we enjoyed in his lounge. We had booked the Magistrates Room and were completely charmed by the old police house building, all the lovely historic curios and decorative touches although none of us could fathom out the mechanical clock-face thingy high up on the wall!

Ian asked us if we had plans for dinner which, with our combined dietary requirements, we had been dreading and had resigned ourselves to a drab baked-potato in a pub somewhere. "Let me see what I have in", he said. In five minutes he was back offering us a mouthwatering fish menu which sounded impossible to rustle together at such short notice but he sent us off to walk round the town for 45 minutes while he did his stuff in the kitchen and, arriving back in ravenous anticipation, we were not disappointed!

Needless to say we slept well in the lovely old bedstead and the breakfast the next day certainly set us up well for the cycle ride ahead. It was just a shame we had to be off so promptly without sampling the delights of the spa bath which is not available in the evenings, I am guessing due to the noise factor.

Our only criticisms were that the stairs to the upstairs bedrooms might be a bit steep and winding for some and the [rack] room rates are certainly at the top end of the scale but still represent decent value for money for a night or two (a slight discount is offered for a second night) particularly for a special occasion. £20 a head (we brough our own wine and were not charged corkage) for the evening meal he cooked us to order was also good value - you'd pay easily £30 a head for such a meal in a quality restaurant.

Wirksworth also makes a very convenient base for White Peak attractions.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wirksworth
Red Lion Hotel
#2 of 4 in Matlock
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Old Lockup? Share your experiences!