“Disgraceful”
Review of Old Bowling Green

Old Bowling Green
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Winster
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: 15Th Century country inn, grade 2 listed, private ownership and resident chef/owner since 1990. Range of local beers, extensive wine list. Award winning kitchen under personal supervision of owner. Situated in the centre of an historic conservation village with a car park to the rear. Opening hours vary so worth checking before visiting, closed every Monday & Tuesday and lunchtimes except Sundays. Kitchens are closed if the owner is away. Usual hours - kitchen Thur/Fri/Sat 6pm to 8.30pm; Sun lunch 12 noon to 2.30pm. Booking recommended. Bar open Wed evenings too - and all day Sunday from 12 noon till late
Stafford
“Disgraceful”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I have used this pub several times - we live many miles apart and it is a convenient half-way point for us. There is normally no problem booking a table - and booking is essential for us, as we each have a journey of over an hour. This time, I spoke to an extremely rude man who told me in no uncertain terms that it is not their policy to book tables on a Wednesday evening (what?!) - it didn't matter how far we were travelling. Needless to say, my next call was to the other pub in Winster, the Miners' Standard, which allowed us to book, no problem. There is too much competition for village pubs to have this sort of attitude to customers. We will not be using the Old Bowling Green again, which is a shame as the food is not too bad.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Old_StagerStafford
DavidB_and_MarilynB, Owner at Old Bowling Green, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
When first reading your review I considered asking for it to be removed due to inaccurate and inappropriate comments - and giving us a 1 star rating purely on the basis that you didn't approve of our business policy regarding table reservations. However we decided to respond instead.
The fact that we do not accept table reservations on a Wednesday evening is your sole complaint.
When I ( David, Chef Owner ) answered your telephone call I assured you that you would find a table, and even guaranteed this.
At your insistence I made a note of your name - although I was not at all sure why you required this - and you then demanded a popular position in the bar - at which point I reminded you that we do not reserve tables mid-week.
This alone prompted your vitriolic tirade against me and my pub which ended when you slammed down the phone and terminated your "withheld" call. I was - frankly - stunned.
In over twenty years of owning the pub I have never received such an offensive call, all sparked off by the fact that we dot reserve tables mid-week.
At no time was I anything other than correct and professional in my handling of your call, and resent your assertion that I was rude. The rudeness was all one way - and was only exceeded by your arrogance in suggesting that we should reserve a table for you when we don't for others. Fortunately we seem to please most of our customers, and I am content to let them judge the validity of your comments; they will hopefully agree with your final comment that the "food is not too bad"

West Yorkshire
“Does exactly what it says on the tin!!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

A traditional village pub that serves tasty, homemade food at reasonable prices! We ate here last night and had a very enjoyable meal washed down with a couple if pints if local ale. We thought that the chef coming out to talk to the customers at the end of the night was a nice touch! Shame they are closed on Mondays!

peakpark_pub, Owner at Old Bowling Green, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Loved your comments, and I usually emerge from the kitchens from time to time to see first hand how many survived my cooking! Thank you.
David ( chef, co-owner)
“Good food, friendly, busy local pub”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We enjoyed a good traditional English bar supper here. The pub was very busy, clearly popular with locals which we think is always a good sign, and despite being busy the service was friendly and efficient.

Visited October 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, we look forward to seeing you again.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice food - a little spoiled by other guests.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Great choice of food and drinks in the old fashioned pub. Pleased with the food. Standard pub fair but delivered to a good standard. Try the steak pie! Noisy neighbouring table took the shine off though. Be aware the tables are pretty close together!

Visited September 2013
peakpark_pub, Owner at Old Bowling Green, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Very pleased that you were satisfied with our food, sorry that you found your neighbours a little noisy. We do pack diners in and our tables are quite close together, usually adjacent tables will interact, but sometimes circumstances are "beyond our control"...
Sorry about that. Hope that you will call again and find a different set of diners next to you!
Thank you for the good marks for the food - my toiling in the kitchen is worth it when I see them.
Oxford
“Really good pub grub”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We visit the peak district fairly regularly, usually staying near Winster, and have relied on the Old Bowling Green to provide meals almost every time. They've never disappointed us and our latest visit was another triumph: we chose fairly simple fare (Soup, Lamb Steak and Chips etc.) but it was tasty, well presented and decent portions. Friendly and cheerful staff even seem to recognise us in spite of our visits being many months apart. We are already looking forward to our next trip!

• Visited September 2013
Thank you for your kind words, really appreciated by us and our staff.
Hope to see you soon.