“Best steak pie ever !”
Review of Old Bowling Green

Old Bowling Green
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Winster
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: 15Th Century country inn, grade 2 listed, private ownership and resident chef/owner since 1990. Range of local beers, extensive wine list. Award winning kitchen under personal supervision of owner. Situated in the centre of an historic conservation village with a car park to the rear. Opening hours vary so worth checking before visiting, closed every Monday & Tuesday and lunchtimes except Sundays. Kitchens are closed if the owner is away. Usual hours - kitchen Thur/Fri/Sat 6pm to 8.30pm; Sun lunch 12 noon to 2.30pm. Booking recommended. Bar open Wed evenings too - and all day Sunday from 12 noon till late
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Best steak pie ever !”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Great village pub with good beers and great home cooked food. Well worth a visit when in the village of Winster.

Visited September 2013
peakpark_pub, Owner at Old Bowling Green, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
What a lovely heading to your review!
When I am baking my steak pies I can't hope for a nicer comment - and I am particularly proud of my steak pies too; traditional pie with shortcrust pastry top and bottom - not a stew in a pot with a puff pastry lid. Thank you very much for your comments which will encourage me no end.
Oh - pleased that you found our service good too.
Best wishes from Winster, please return soon.

Toronto, Canada
“Traditional English pub with great food and service”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed nearby at the Old Shoulder of Mutton and wanted to have dinner in the village. All service staff were very pleasant, the drinks were good and the portion sizes were very generous (my mom and I were fine sharing a meal and dessert!).

Visited July 2013
Glad to learn that your visit to the Old Bowling Green was a happy one, and we hope that your visit from Canada to UK was too.
Hope to see you again one day.
Hereford, United Kingdom
“lovely place will be back soon”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just reading the reviews of the places we visited over our weekend away and came across the one below and felt very strongly about it that i had to comment, something i have never done before but felt i had to. we visited the very same day, the lady behind the bar was very helpful to me and my husband great conversation very helpful advise about the direction we should walk back home, even offered to take a photo of us both as we were taking one of each other. very nice pub lovely clean facilities and yes even nice coffee. cannot comment on food as no food that day but hope to next time.
As said on sunday we will defiantly be visiting again.

• Visited September 2013
Thank you taking the time and trouble to let us know that you enjoyed your experience and did not go away unhappy!
And thank you very much for countering the rather poor review from another visitor on the same day. It lends a little balance...
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Nice old pub average experience”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Nice old pub average experience , The server behind the bar was busy on her tablet on the pubs wifi and talking about her family she was so loud in her voice we couldn't get her conversation out our minds not being able to talk ourselves and feeling a little uncomfortable we quickly moved on after a coke and a bad coffee Shame as old pubs like this are becoming rare .. No food available today. I have given Excellent on food to be fair as I can not comment.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mark P
Very sorry to note that we did not fulfil expectations - could be that the old saying " you can't please all the people all of the time..." is true. I have researched the comments made, and this includes speaking to customers who were present at the time, as well as the "server" whose response is shown below. I feel that the criticism is not warranted, and one regular customer suggested that an enquiry regarding internet - which we do not offer - from the complainant could have caused some dissatisfaction. The member of staff concerned has worked for us for over 23 years and this is the first time we have any comments of this type. We are a country pub and our staff are local and very interactive, taking part in conversations and offering opinions. It could be that our customers are more familiar with a Wetherspoons type of pub, which we certainly are not and have no intention of attempting to emulate. Some of my regular customers regard the comments as personal and offensive,but I prefer to believe that they were sincere and well meaning.
Response from my server " I am very sorry the pub got a bad review from some customers I served on Sunday lunch. I would like to explain that whilst I did get my ipad out to look for something that a customer asked for I was not on for long, and was not on the pub wifi as I don't have access to it.
Yes I think my family may have come up in conversation but only because I was asked about them. Most of Sunday lunchtime I spend chatting to holiday makers and walkers giving them local information and advice about walks around the area, I even took photos of a couple of walkers. You can ask any of the locals who in at that time to confirm this.
I remember a couple coming for a coffee and a coke, and if they came in for a quiet chat why did they sit next to the bar? Maybe a corner table or a table in another bar would have been more suited. I have worked in the pub for 23 years and have enjoyed it and met many lovely sociable customers and hope I have helped to make their visit a pleasant one. If I upset anyone I never meant to and can only apologise if I did"
Windsor, United Kingdom
“lovely little country pub”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

we were staying in Dale End and called in here for a drink after dinner. lovely friendly pub. We went on a Wednesday evening and the place was packed. Usually you can take dogs inside but because they were so busy we had to sit outside, but it was lovely. Food only served from Wednesday to Sundays. Excellent menu and all the meals looked value for money.

large selection of drinks available for a pub in a very sleep little village.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Catherine F
peakpark_pub, Owner at Old Bowling Green, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Very pleased that you enjoyed your visit, we do appreciate it when customers take the time to post a review - whilst we don't always get it right we do our best and it really is our intention to make the visit to the Old Bowling Green a happy and enjoyable one.
We hope to see you again.
David & Marilyn