“Excellent welcome & excellent food.”
Review of The Anchor Inn

The Anchor Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Tideswell
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: .
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Excellent welcome & excellent food.”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Had a meal at the Anchor whilst on a walking holiday in the Dales. It's only a short walk from the village of Tideswell itself, & we were grateful for the walk back after such an excellent meal! I had a melt in the mouth rib-eye steak whilst my wife had poached salmon in a béarnaise sauce, which she said was superb. Two delightful sweets followed to finish off an excellent evening. Wish we had gone back the next night after an average meal at another local pub! You can't go wrong here!

Visited March 2014
Deborah C, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a lovely review. Glad you enjoyed yourself and hopefully we will see you again if you return to the area.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An excellent choice!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were recommended to eat at the Anchor and we were not disappointed. The menu was varied - not your usual offerings - very tasty and very enjoyable. The landlady was very welcoming and great to chat to.
I pass on the recommendation to anyone visiting the Tideswell area - eat at the Anchor Inn, you will not be disappointed.

Visited March 2014
Deborah C, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a lovely review. Glad you enjoyed yourself and hopefully we will see you again if return to the area.
“Nice food and friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I am always looking for nice pubs to take my elderly mother to on a Sunday for lunch. The Anchor is one of our favourites, providing wholesome and delicious fare at reasonable prices with a friendly and accommodating landlady and staff. My mother can no longer face a large meal and the staff are happy to provide reduced portions, where practicable, for her. We recently had a delicious home made lamb & mint suet pudding which was packed with meat which melted in the mouth. This was wholesome English food at its best.

The Anchor is now a regular eatery for us. Booking for Sunday lunch is advised as it can get busy, not surprisingly given the quality of the food.

Visited February 2014
Deborah C, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you very much for leaving us a review. As always it is lovely to have return custom and it was nice to see you all again on Sunday.
Hopefully we will see you again soon and we agree that booking is recommended.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“disgusted guest”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We called in for Sunday lunch pub looks inviting on the outside log fire burning but we were told "you can't sit there" so saw
table at the side of a radiator ,which unfortunately was freezing the temperature outside was warmer.I sat at this table and something told me bad mistake left on said table a full meal,by this time my husband had ordered the lunch,this duly arrived swimming in gravy/ sauce something I don't like serve it in a gravy jug please I can't be the only person who prefers their meal this way I think the tip top chef got a new gadget for valentines day namely a pepper mill everything covered and covered in black paper .Not sure what the meat was but it certainly did not look like the beef I buy from my butcher !!Miss frosty knickers behind the bar (is she really the landlady) was turning people away in hindsight doing them a favour our poor little waitress looked frightened to death of her as she snapped out things to do to her.Whilst we sat the afore said Miss frosty was glaring at us as if to say how long are you staying .Courses are available in hospitality .On the way home I had to get my husband to pull in on the road where a duly left a pile of vomit covered in the previously mentioned black pepper. I spent the entire weekend with sickness and diarrhoea.An unforgettable experience one I do not wish to do again .would I recommed Anchor Inn never that is unless you like black pepper and can bear the consequences.

Visited February 2014
Deborah C, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Apologies that you could not sit by the fire where you wanted too, but these tables had already been booked, requested by customers and had a reserve sign on them. You actually chose to sit by the front door, after you hovered over the previous customers as they were leaving and barging past the waitress before she had chance to clear the table. How rude to sit at a dirty table before it was cleared when they were smaller tables ready and available near the fire, but you wanted to sit at a table for 4 people even thou there were only 2 of you.
As for your meal the meat is local beef from a butcher 4 miles away and yes there is cracked black pepper used in our cooking but only on the roast potatoes. It also clearly states on the board that the roast is served with a rich meat gravy. Perhaps if you like your gravy separate why not ask for it that way, we can accommodate most requests when we know about them, we are not mind readers!
The 4 people that came into the pub were not turned away, they were just advised that there would be a wait as we were fully booked at the time, which is clearly polite and it was there choice to leave.
Surely if the meal was so bad why:
1) did you eat it all.
2) when checked on by the waitress did you say it was really nice.
3) when you paid your bill and was asked if everything was all right your husband replied to myself, the said 'frosty knickers' (which I find very rude and offensive!) 'Yes, thank you'.
4) Why not say something on the day instead of hiding yourself on a review site.
5) If it was so bad why give us a 2 star rating, surely you would say a 1 star or less would be more appropriate.
People are more than welcome to pass on their honest opinions and we fully take on board what they say, be it good or bad! But to be rude and tell lies, all because you were moved from a reserved table is completely out of order!
But could you thank your husband for the tip and I am sure that when people read your review they will be able to read between the lines as the previous two reviews raved over how good our roast beef is!
“Lovely Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Just a quick review having just demolished a Sunday Slow Cooked Roast Beef from the Anchor. Superb food. The best sunday roast I've had in a long time. Highly recommend!

Deborah C, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Lovely to see you returning again for a Sunday lunch. Hopefully see you again soon and thanks for leaving us the review.