“superb B & B”

Ranked #1 of 1 Swinscoe B&B and Inns
uk
“superb B & B”
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We have been going to Alton Towers for the past 11 years and This was the first time we have stayed at the Dog & Partridge. Our accomodation was first class, there was 6 of us in a room, which in it's self is a rarety, with plently of space for us all. The room was very clean. The room also featured a video and dvd player something that we didn't find on a recent stay at a top Marriot Hotel. It had a large kitchen and bathroom also.

Upon arriving we received a very warm and friendly welcome from the management, and all the staff were very helpful and friendly and could not do enough to help you.

Our evening meal was of very good quality and the menu catered for all. Breakfast was even better and one of the best we have experienced. Along side a full english breakfast was a vast buffett, of fresh fruit, cereals, yogorts, juices, jams etc.

A wonderful large outside play area for children of all ages to play in, as well as a carpark right outside your door.

We think that it is a very good quality B & B with all the added extras at a fraction of the price you would pay to stay in Alton Towers its self without losing any of the quality you would expect. Would highly recomend the Dog & Partridge to all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Caerphilly,South Wales
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We have stayed here twice....whilst visiting Alton Towers... myself, husband and 3 daughters (6, 10 and 12)...we like the fact that they accommodate for a family of 5 which is a rarity! On this occasion we stayed in the family suite - which was rather expensive - but it was very, very nice...really spacious and comfy! The beds we comfy and clean,,,the bathroom was spotless and I could not find a fault if i tried! It is certainly nothing to write home about.... but nice enough! Perfect for a 1 or 2 night stay! The pub itself is pleasant and comfy and the breakfast is nice and there is a nice selection available. All in all.... a pleasant place to stay... but it wont take your breath away! :-)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
berkshire
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We used The Dog & Partridge after visiting Alton Towers Theme Park and the service, from booking via telephone to checking out was brilliant. The hotel offers rooms that cater for familes of five ( and I believe can offer a room for a family of 8), which is a facility that is hard to come by, and our room was both spacious and comfortable. The hotel offers a good menu and their breakfast is one that leaves you completely satisfied! All staff are friendly and eager to please and all aspects of the accomodation are kept clean. I would be more than happy to go back there!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Warwickshire
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Went on recommendation of a friend and her husbandwho had visited the previous year with their 2 dogs. So we all arranged a weekend away, as it is very difficult to find places for short breaks away when you have a dog. Where to start, the rooms were very comfortable and ample in size; the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, advising us on places to visit with the dogs; the food was fantastic, in fact i had the best steak i have ever tasted; and to top it all off the location was stunning. Anyone in need of an escape for the weekend, with or without dogs or children (as excellent outdoor play area for children and very child friendly) should certainly visit. At the end of the

• Stayed July 2009
London
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I stayed there for two nights with my Dad during our fishing and shooting trip. We were warmly met by the staff in the nice old reception and bar area. We were led to our rooms which are prefabricated Chalets, the decour is a bit dated and the tv very small but are a good size, clean and tidy so no problems unless your are expecting a lot more. There is an excellant garden if you have kids with outside pool table, two table tennis tables, a pet rabbit and nice inquizitive cows in the ajoining field. Food is average and certainly pricey for what it is, but the staff are very helpful. We read the reviews before we went but because we share the same surname as the pub and a bit too lazy to find another we booked and were not dissapointed in this beautifully located lodge.

• Stayed July 2009
Sheffield
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I completely agree with the previous reviewer who, by the looks of it, stopped here either the same night as us last week (4th July) or certainly very close to that date. The biggest mistake I made with this place was that, for the first time in a long, long time I never bothered consulting Trip Advisor, largely because the booking was made in rather a rush. We stopped at the hotel as a stop off on the way to Alton Towers.

The afternoon started well with a few drinks outside the conservatory as we were early for the 3pm check in, taking in the views and the weather. This soon changed when we asked for the key to the room.

I should start by saying do NOT be fooled by the pictures on the website for this place, this is a crucial point - as several other reviewers have mentioned, it would appear that the Management Team have "conveniently" forgotten to post any pictures of the accommodation where a vast majority of visitors will end up staying - absolutely hideous prefab/portercabin type buildings that are located by the side of the main building. It seems that we were slightly luckier than some other reviewers as at least our room was relatively clean (perhaps this was down to the fact that we'd booked the "romantic" package to stop there - although the room was hardly conducive to romance if I am being honest) although far from spotless, with a revolting carpet, furnishings from the 1970s, filthy curtains, a TV which did not work and a radio alarm clock which looked like it would be at home in an 1980's Argos catalogue. There was no shower attachment, just a mixer and there was no hot water from around 6pm. Fantastic.

The price of the drinks we were buying appeared to vary depending on who served us - I would also add that the drinks were not cheap. A small glass of wine and a bottle of Magners cost approximately £8.50.

We did have plans to use the hot tub but having seen the room decided not to bother - something I am glad of having read the previous review and also considering the general standard of cleanliness of the establishment.

For £80 a night I would have expected a much higher standard of accommodation.

The only positives I can find are the fact that I found some members of staff polite and helpful and the food was actually ok - the full English wasn't fantastic but did hit the spot in the morning.

I would have made my feelings much clearer when we checked out but to be honest, just wanted to get away from the place. I would also advise that, if you do decide to go here, ask for an itemised bill. I have some misgivings about what we were charged for.
I take full responsibility for that but I just couldn't be bothered. If we had been staying two nights, however, it would have been an entirely different story!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank emmalouise_34
D&PInn, Manager at The Dog & Partridge Country Inn & Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
I am sorry that your recent stay was not to your satisfaction; unfortunately I was not made aware of any problems during your stay here at the Dog and Partridge Country Inn.

I do appreciate your time taken writing your review, but I do wish you may have taken the time to make your views clear to me during your stay, so that I could have been given a chance to rectify things for you where possible.

On our website we do display a number of picture of our Hotel Bedrooms and includes all of the different room types, Cleanliness is of high importance to us and we pride our selves on a good standard unfortunately I am unable to look in to the comments you made as we are unaware of the room number.

With regards to itemised bills I would be happy to provide a copy of this if you could contact me or one of the reservations teams to organise this for you. The only reason I can think of for drinks prices varying is if you were changed the type of wine you were drinking however if you wish I will certainly look into this for you.

Our hot tub is well looked after and cleanliness and hygiene is of much importance.

Kind Regards

Manager, Dog and Partridge Country Inn

Travelers are raving about these Swinscoe hotels

Kent
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I recently had the pleasure to stay at the Duck and Partridge, and i must say i absolutely loved it. I stayed for 2 nights with 3 of my friends in one of the suits and instantly upon arrival we were greated by the warm and friendly staff. It is a typical country bumbkin with charm and history. The food was brilliant, the views from the restaurant and bedrooms were stunning, what a perfect way to spend my birthday. I would say the bed a breakfast offers a strong competition towards its Alton Tower superiors, we will deffinatly come and stay again. Well done A*. Thank you for a great break!! Aimee, Katie, Paul and Olly

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank aimee121
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swinscoe
The Izaak Walton Hotel
#3 of 9 in Buxton
Callow Hall Hotel
Callow Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mappleton

Been to The Dog & Partridge Country Inn & Hotel? Share your experiences!