“Poor meal and service”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Derby, United Kingdom
“Poor meal and service”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had a Groupon voucher and ventured out into Derbyshire looking forward to a nice meal. Thinking that this could become a regular place to stop when out walking for the day. On Entering the pub/hotel the real fire was welcoming in the bar but the faded plastic flowers and jaded decor of the dining area was off putting. In addition the noisy staff in the kitchen, whose loud conversations we could clearly hear, was a distraction. The waitress was uninterested and didn't seem to want to join in with any pleasanteries. She tried to take my plate away when I clearly hadn't finished. The food itself was dreadful. My husband's curry was bland and the bhaji was burnt and inedible. My Staffordshire oatcake with mushrooms was swimming in what was supposed to be a creamy sauce but was in fact fat which had no taste, the mushroms were slimy and the oatcake was like a cold yorkshire pudding. The chips hadn't even been cooked properly. As a vegetarian I have had some poor meals in my time but this was the worst I've ever had. The best thing about the meal was the salad which was straight out of a bag. I am glad I didn't buy a voucher to stay overnight when it was on offer from Groupon earlier in the year. That was a lucky escape! Avoid at all costs, is my advice.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Derbyresponse
CAPEAFRICA, Owner at The Dog & Partridge Country Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your meal in the resturant, firstly we do not serve microwaved meals.
As to the toilet seat a new one has been fitted.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My partner had the wild mushrooma and chicken and I had the Thai curry - both were excellent. The service was very good - we had plenty of room around the table and privacy to talk - the staff were friendly and informative and very attentive. We did not feel rushed and we enjoyed a drink the very comfortable bar after our meal.

Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent location, value for money, with a warm friendly atmosphere.”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Welcoming reception with a cosy rustic feel. Our room in the grounds had recently been refurbished which included new double glazing. The double and single beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom clean and tidy. Although we were on a groupon deal, the restaurant food gave a great selection and we did not feel we had to upgrade, and thanks to ex-farmer David's local produce knowledge the vegetables were wonderfully fresh. We would have no qualms about visiting again or recommending to our friends. And a special mention to Jenny for helping us park the car.

1 Thank Laudonie
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Make sure you're hungry if you go here. The food is just wonderful and the millionaire cheesecake is to DIE for!

Visited August 2012
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Good meal”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The restaurant was nice and the menu was good - lots of choice for even a fussy eater! I usually struggle to find something I want but not here. Would recommend!

Visited April 2012