“Revamp plus new manager and new chefs pays off”
Review of The White Swan

The White Swan
Ranked #5 of 68 Restaurants in Swadlincote
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2013

went friday night had a great meal on par with the mount pleasant service a little slow but not complaining it will all come right in the end after all it was the relaunch night and they did very well for there first night, staff freindly, nice atmosphere food very good , what more can you ask for, and yes we have already booked for another meal, well done Ben and the team keep up the good work

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Visited the White Swan last night having driven past for the last few weeks and seeing builders and painters working hard to resurrect this once beautiful pub.
I have to say it is a massive transformation. A shabby chic look with stripped back floor boards, chandeliers and sofas. They have introduced a new chefs grill next to the carvery unit and whilst I was there the chef was hastily grilling steaks.
The service was a little slow and disorganised, but the intent was clearly there to deliver service to match the new decor.

My suggestion - give it a week for the new manager to get to grips with this pub and then suspend your previous experiences at the pub and give it a try,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

After a thirsty midday sojourn the girlfriend and I decided to visit the pub as the country appeal and the all day food seemed to fit the bill.

After entering the bar the staff were indeed pleasant but seemed to grasp the simple premise of a pint and a lemonade but a monosyllabic conversation corrected this, and so into the food order.

I asked for two carvery meals and was duly charged for said food. After taking a seat and then standing near the carvery for a full on 5 minutes (this is after several staff walked past without acknowledgement) the chef served the first plate of food which was a mix of beef and gammon and duly added Yorkshire pudding and stuffing and passed this to my girlfriend.

Upon removing the covers on the vegetable selection I can only say we were faced with were vegetables that were boiled to the point of becoming soup. After selecting some saturated cauliflower she went to sit at the table whereas I was still waiting to be served as the "chef" has gone to fetch some more Yorkshire pudding.

After another several minutes the young bar lady then asked if I required service (still no sign of the chef and the Yorkshire puddings!) so I asked for beef and turkey which resulted in a slice if beef so translucent that you could use as a window and turkey that was as dry as eating silica gel. Couple to this the lack of Yorkshire pudding and the stewed vegetables then this made a memorable meal but for all the wrong reasons.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Unfortuantely we experienced the same poor service and awful food as the other reviewers on this site, which is a shame as we visited the pub last summer and it was ok as far as pub grub went.

We arrived at the pub at about 7:30pm, the warning bells should have gone off as soon as we saw there were only 2 other sets of diners there and what appeared to be a few locals having a drink at the bar. However, we had two young children with us and were all very hungry so getting sustenance was our main priority and was not expecting a fine dining experience.

We quickly seated and selected our meals. The process of odering our food was a laboured activity which appeared to cause the member of staff much confusion even though it was only 4 adult meals and 2 childrens. We all stuck to items we had ordered there before and enjoyed on previous visits, to stay on the safe side.

When the food eventually arrived (at staggered intervals) it was apparent that there had been a change in 'chef'. Our 'Sizzling Skillets' were lacking some of the ingredients and it was apparent the meat and veg had been cooked seperately resulting in very dry meat slopped on top of the stir fried veg. My husbands meal (fish & chips) came quite some time later - we assumed they must have just caught it as when it arrived it was was a very wet and sloppy mess. My son wouldnt eat his mash (smash) - in the words of a 7 year old it was 'gross'.

When I highlighted these issues with the waiting on/bar staff/only member of staff - she offered us a free pudding although based on how awful the main meals were we didnt take her up on this offer. In her defence she was very apologetic but her manner, professionalism and look on her face suggested that she lacked any form of training and had just been dropped in the deep end with something she just wasnt capable of.

On the upside- our family have never laughed so much at the utter shambles of our evening and managed to make a good joke of it.

This pub has definitely been struck off our list of places to eat for eternity! Such a shame as this lovely little village would definitely benefit from a nice pub that serves good pub grub.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Terrible experience from start to finish! I should have guessed by the lack of customers & staff that things were not going to be good. As I had literally just paid for our meals, a man came up to the bar to complain that his pie was burnt on the inside. Yes, you guessed right... I'd just ordered one for my husband. I ordered Duck a l'orange with red current jus for myself.

When, twenty minutes later, the food hadn't arrived, my husband joked that they must be making a new pie!
Ten more minutes passed before our food came out. Things got worse! From the minuscule piece of beef and ale pie, gravy that refused to pour from the boat! We didn't order the light bite version of pie either. Goodness only knows how big that is!
Now, the duck that had no orange sauce or jus. Just a dry looking piece of duck a few dry looking new potatoes and salad. I have no idea what it tasted like. We declined the offer of the chef whipping some up... Asked for our money back, which we begrudgingly got, by the totally uninterested staff, who said sorry, but didn't sound as if they meant it.

Never, never again!